OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

swfa 5-20 vs minox 4-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: swfa 5-20 vs minox 4-20
    Posted: April/26/2012 at 10:40
Ok, does some here have experience with both of these? Ilya??? How do they compare, price aside. Specifically, glass quality and tracking and durability.
Jack
Jack
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2012 at 12:16
CFII has had both and can probably help you as well.  Your comparing two totally different scopes though. Ones built more "tactical" the other more Hunting/target
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2012 at 12:37
Right. I am thinking the swfa woild have to be better acroas the board and with the coupon deal it is now in my price range. I would really like to know if I coukd expect better optical clarity in the daylight and in low light and if the tracking was at least as good as the minox which as far has been great. Also i was wondering if the turrets have a more positive feel as well. The minox is the only scope i have in the same general mag range that i could compare to.
Jack
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2012 at 12:42
i don't have a minox, but i can say that the SS imo, is the best scope money can buy at that price point. but it's heavy
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2012 at 12:56
Originally posted by jladams jladams wrote:

Right. I am thinking the swfa woild have to be better acroas the board and with the coupon deal it is now in my price range. I would really like to know if I coukd expect better optical clarity in the daylight and in low light and if the tracking was at least as good as the minox which as far has been great. Also i was wondering if the turrets have a more positive feel as well. The minox is the only scope i have in the same general mag range that i could compare to.
I have owned and shot with both. They both have very good glass. Everything else the 5-20 will kill the Minox in. The clicks are not even worth comparing while my Minox did track well it has mushy clicks and they are only 1/8 moa clicks. With the coupon code active right now there is no question or comparision. If you are looking at these 2 get the SS5-20 and don't look back. I actually replaced my Minox, which I was very fond of, with a SS5-20 if that tells you anything.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2012 at 12:57
From what your asking I can tell you yes the SS will have better glass and more positive turret feedback.  I've never had any problems using mine in lowlight either.  The glass is suberb.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2012 at 16:33
Ok. I'm sold. What is the best mount for a DPMS LR-308? Flat top.

Jack
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2012 at 16:38
http://swfa.com/SWFA-Precision-Optic-30mm-Mount-P48134.aspx
Bobro makes great mounts, if it was mine that is what I would go with. We liked them enough to have them engrave our logo on the side of their mounts!
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2012 at 17:14
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2012 at 18:06
Ok. Just when I thought that was more than I wanted to spend on the mount you go and post that great video. Sold again. :)
Jack
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 16:52

Read the whole ad for the facebook coupon and now I am waiting for it to hit 10000 so I get get the 1-6 and the 5-20. :-)

Jack
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2012 at 08:07
You better campaign to get all your friends to like them.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2012 at 09:19
Originally posted by jladams jladams wrote:

Read the whole ad for the facebook coupon and now I am waiting for it to hit 10000 so I get get the 1-6 and the 5-20. :-)

Man  - Wouldn't that be nice.  I would love to have that pair. Snoopy

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic