OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nightforce Vs Leupold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nightforce Vs Leupold
    Posted: April/25/2012 at 08:24
I want to get into LR shooting nothing formal.

I am looking at the NF 5.5x22x50 NXS and the
Mark 4 Tactical 8.5-25X50LR I can get the leo for 1300 and the NF for 1700.

What are the differences in tracking, clarity, reliability etc.

Any input would be great.

(Removed link to competitor.)

Edited by cheaptrick - April/25/2012 at 08:34
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 09:42
Between the two the NF would be my pick but I would also look at the SWFA SS's.  The 5-20 non illuminated is at a steal right now!

The SS will be as good or better in the glass department and just as dead nutz reliable as the NF.  The Leupold isn't in the same league glass wise as the other two here.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 09:49
That definitely looks great
Never heard of this one. 
Wow!

Tell me more!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 10:24
What do you want to know about it?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 10:55
The 5-20 SS is a great scope at a great price, definitely warrants consideration in that space.

Nightforce makes a great scope, very good tracking, exceptional reliability, glass that is "good enough", and a great selection of reticles.

Leupold isn't even in the same ballpark, not even playing the same game.  With military or LE discount, leupold is a decent deal; at consumer prices, not even close to worth what you get.

The admitted weaknesses of the SS5-20 are A. it is relatively new, and B. there aren't any reticle choices other than the mil hash at this moment.  The SS has been out for 6 months or so (right?) and is establishing a very good track record, so I don't think A. is a big deal, time will tell for sure, but the first 6 months of data look outstanding. Looking at the dead-nuts reliability of previous SS scopes, and the excpetional service SWFA offers on their scopes, A. is not a big factor.

As for the reticle, it is the choice for now.  Others may follow eventually.  Personally, I like the reticle, it is easier to subdivide than a traditional mil dot, and far less busy than many popular "christmas tree" reticles which are the rage right now.

For the money, get the SS.  If you need zero stop or a different reticle, Nightforce is a great option.

Personal preference: I dislikes Nightforce's illumination system, the SS system is far better.  Glass in the SS is better, to my eye.  I wish the SS had a zero stop, but that seldom becomes a factor (though when it does, it can be a big one!)

I've owned both scopes, I've used both allot; unless I needed something peculiar (like a specific reticle for a specific application), I'd buy the SS.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 11:35
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Leupold isn't even in the same ballpark, not even playing the same game.  With military or LE discount, leupold is a decent deal; at consumer prices, not even close to worth what you get.....................

OK this is what I do not get.  Why exactly is it not in the ballpark?

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 11:42
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

What do you want to know about it?

Nice rig. Those Talley rings, Graham? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 11:52
yep sure are CT. 

To the OP,  The glass in the SWFA SS and the nightforce is much clearer and all around better than the leupold.  Hence the phrase not in the same ballpark because the glass is NOT comparable between it and the other two.
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 12:13
I understand.  Thank you sir!Wink

Also how does the illumination feature work on the SS?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 12:22
The one I posted above is not illuminated, that said they do have an illuminated one. The illumination is on a dial, 1-10, stops/off inbetween each number.  It is not usable in daylight but it was not intended to be used that way.  It works great in lower light and where its suppose to.
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 12:44
thank you allCool

Edited by Fotis - April/25/2012 at 13:00
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 14:00
The SS5-20 Illuminated is $1,499.95. The non Illiminated is normally $1,299.95. With the $250 off coupon the non-illuminated is a steal for sure! That coupon however is only good on the non-illuminated model.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2012 at 09:53
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Between the two the NF would be my pick but I would also look at the SWFA SS's.  The 5-20 non illuminated is at a steal right now!

The SS will be as good or better in the glass department and just as dead nutz reliable as the NF.  The Leupold isn't in the same league glass wise as the other two here.

Well I did some research and I bought on SVT.

Wish me luck!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2012 at 10:21
You won't be sorry.
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2012 at 12:00
Thank you for all your help!Big Grin
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2012 at 12:15
No problem man  Glad we could point you in a good direction and save you some green.  Whats it going on?
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2012 at 13:02
30-378 wby accumark for now
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2012 at 13:18
cool, once you get it all mounted up post a picture!
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2012 at 14:01
I will!
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2012 at 14:29
You will be happy. I love mine!
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic