OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New AR15 Rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dezmick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New AR15 Rifle
    Posted: April/24/2012 at 23:37
I am looking at getting a new AR15, i do not want to build my own i just want to buy one that is already built, i will have about 1500 to spend on the rifle, i have been looking at Stag Arms, DPMS, Smith & Wesson, and Rock River Arms, of those which would you go with and what exact rifle do you like from the company you would get one from even if it is not one that i have listed. These are the Four that i have been looking at. Thanks

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 06:16
What are you looking to do with it? The tacticool / LE / Military versions are selling very well now (perhaps in part due to the upcoming elections). Plinking or hunting versions may be a bit easier to get (more quickly).  Securing top tier brands (LaRue, Noveske, Baer, etc.) will be a test of your patience... LOL.

I've been researching them myself (for a purchase) and it has been an experience. Most of the big builders are way backed up with orders. Some told me 6-8 MONTHS + for a build. The normal wait is about 2-3 months. I ended up going a bit different route as I wanted a "hunting" model and thus opted for a 6.5 Grendel build from Alexander Arms. I was told the build time for it is about 2-3 months.

From your list. I'd say either RRA or Stag Arms. They both produce good weapons that can be very accurate. I was looking at the RRA Predator Pursuit and the Stag Varminter. I'm sure either would have been fine. I just couldn't get exactly what I wanted.

Good luck in your quest.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 07:21
I would look at Bravo Company Manufacturing, White Oak Armament, or even Palmetto State Armory.  Not long ago I ordered a stripped lower from Palmetto State Armory ($79.99) and a lower build kit.  The ordered a mid-length carbine upper.  I did build the lower and change out the stock handguards, but I have a good AR-15 with a FN built barrel for about $800.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 08:43
Why do you not want to build one? 

If I had $1500 to spend and were getting an out of the box, SHTF, flat top, quality built, no nonsense, ready to go AR....it would be the Colt 6920. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 14:52

Build it

You will learn the in's and out's of your rifle. Understanding how it works makes trouble shooting much easier if your rifle malfunctions. It is very rewarding once completed. 
Dont take yourself to seriously

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 15:33
Originally posted by jselsor jselsor wrote:

Build it

You will learn the in's and out's of your rifle. Understanding how it works makes trouble shooting much easier if your rifle malfunctions. It is very rewarding once completed. 

Concur!! 

One caveat:
If it's your very first AR experience, buy the 6920, then build the next one. Getting a "base" quality
AR let's you figure out what you like or dislike about your rifle. AR's are SO modular, it's almost a fault. 

If you build your first one, your going get on ARFCOM, buy every stinkin whiz bang, "tactical", 1/3rd co-witnessing, anti-fail, have to have gadget out there and your going to make an expensive mess and you ain't going to know what the hell you got....'cept a wicked ass credit card bill. Wink 
IMO, of course.  
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 17:00
IMHO you can for $1,500.00 get a Colt 1640, a S&W M&P 15 ($1,350) or a BCM.
These are tier one rifles that will hold up during a carbine course and will keep much of their value.
Many course operators won't allow home built guns anymore because they break so often..for your first gun get the very best, that way if you decide to build one you will know what a quality gun is and how reliable it can be.
Buy cheap, unreliable and you will end up paying in gunsmith fees what a first tier gun would have cost in the first place, you won't have shot the garbage gun much and won't have money for training and ammo.
S&W's top end models can often be found on sale..the top end guns are about as good as the Colts and are very solid guns.
You don't need fancy but reliable, Colt, S&W MP 15 and BCM are good solid guns and the companies stand behind them and you have a much better chance of getting a gun that works right and will hold up.
If warranty becomes and issue these companies will take care of the problem.
Bushmaster, DPMS, Remington, et all have not held up well when it comes to training and hard use.
One agency bought thirty four Bushmasters and only four did not have to be gunsmithed, seven had to have the uppers actually replaced by BCM uppers before they could get them to run right, the department armors told me they had to spend between seven and eleven hours per gun to get them to work.
The departments next buy was S&W MP 15's and they only had two guns with minor problems and S&W fixed those under warranty.
That is what I call a clue.
Art
That is what I call a clue
Good day.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 17:08
I also would agree that the S&W MP 15 is a good AR, from what I've seen at the range. I'm not sure if they would be in the same class as a Colt or a Bravo, but they are pretty good. I honestly don't know. 

Art:
I'm not familiar with a Colt 1640. 
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2012 at 00:12
The Colt 1640 (I hope that is the right designation) has a monolithic rail from the gas block on the barrel all the way to the end of the receiver, easier to use with scopes and backup sights.
It is not pretty but works quite well.
Just for reference S&W makes two tiers of M&P 15's, the tier one guns for police use are comparable to
the Colts, parts are MPI (magnetically particle inspected) bolts are shotpeened and inspected, etc.
The second tier guns are like a Bushmaster, Remington or DPMS.
Stay away from these unless you like to visit a gunsmith. pay lots of money and change out lots of parts..like the whole top end.
Get the first tier gun and you will be good to go.
BCM makes great guns and uppers but they are not always available, Colts and M&P's usually are.
BCM's are halfway in between the tier one and and the boutique guns like the Noveseke, LMT, LaRue, etc.
Colt and S&W are trying to reach out to the civilian market so their products are getting easier to find.
Along with gun you will need to buy ammo, sights and take a quality carbine course, a quality carbine course, not some guy's who claim to be HSLD but someone with a proven record of teaching.
Think Gunsite on the soft end and Pat Rogers on the hard, pointy end.
Being able to properly run the gun makes a world of difference and becomes fun, a guy can make some ammo money from people who think they know it all.
Art

Good day.
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2012 at 00:19
Colt 6940, Colt 6940.
Duh..I apologize!
The rifle I was talking about was the Colt 6940, Colt 6940, not 1640.
Anyway the Colt 6940 is the one with the monolithic rail.
Next time I will read the model number off the receiver.
Again I apologize for my mistake and any confusion it has caused.
Thanks
Art
Good day.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2012 at 14:14
Dezmick, what is your intended purposefor this rifle? I typed out a long response, and then realized I had no idea what you wanted the rifle to do, and your 4 choices basically had 3 different uses, by design.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2012 at 15:30
 Hello all:
CDNN has the S&W M&P 15 with flat top full length rail for $1099.00, flip up sights included.
This looks to be a good buy, similar to the Colt 6940.
This price would leave you money to buy ammo for practice and you could add a optic of your choice latter.
Sports Authority and other large retailers have sold the M&P 15 at very good prices, however since demand is up the deals have not been quite as good lately.
Buying a quality gun will allow you to use it for a variety things should you later decide you might want to try them.
Whatever you get have fun..some people make shooting to much work.
Art

Good day.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2012 at 19:44

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic