OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

First spotting scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compadre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First spotting scope
    Posted: April/23/2012 at 18:41
Does anyone know if these spotters are any good and if they have a crystal clear image ? The first one is

Viper HD 15-45x65 Angled Spotting Scope.

The second one is

Viper HD 15-45x65 Straight Spotting Scope .

The third one is

Viper HD 20-60x80 Angled Spotting Scope .

The first 2 cost 649.99 and the 3rd one cost 899.99 . My main purpose would be to see .223 holes at 200-300 yards away in open field . I am looking for something with a pretty good clear image and something so I can see up close and stop walking down field to check out my targets . Who knows I might use it for hunting once or twice a year . Any info would be helpful and appreciated . Does it make a difference if the spotter is angled or straight ? And weight is not an issue (includding tripod ). Just looking to buy my first spotting scope . Would either of the 3 be good for searching and tracking game ?

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2012 at 18:45
Those models are getting pretty good feedback.  I have seen them, but haven't used them extensively.  They do seem like they are pretty good for their price range.

The 80mm model is pretty big, but will have an advantage in lower light and high magnifications.
-Matt
Compadre View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compadre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2012 at 21:16
I know you get what you pay for . But I just want to make sure I spend my money on something thats  going to be worth it . Still havent decided if angled or straight makes a difference .
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2012 at 21:36
I would get angled. I have a meopta straight and a razor angled. The angled is much easier to use and much more comfortable. I wouldn't even consider a straight again.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2012 at 23:20
For hunting and tac matches I prefer straight.
I have had both the angled and the straight Razor HD-The scope I own now is the straight Razor HD
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Compadre View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compadre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2012 at 03:57

Do you think the glass on these are good and will provide a close cyrstal clear image ? Or is it not worth the price ?

gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 16:35
IMHO you are at the beginning of quality glass..have to pay almost twice as much to get up to HD glass.
Take a look at the Kowa 660 non HD series, very competitive price wise and excellent scopes with a wider variety of eyepieces.
Good luck in your quest.
Art
Good day.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2012 at 08:23
I disagree with Art on this one.

The Viper HD does have HD glass.  In fact they make the viper line in standard and HD (ED) versions.

While the Kowa 660 is a nice scope it does show some CA, due to the standard optical glass.  I think the Viper may have the better overall image than the 660.  The Kowa does have the eyepiece selection advantage, however.
-Matt
Compadre View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compadre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2012 at 19:02
I think I am going to go with the (Viper HD 20-60X80 Angled) for my first spotting scope .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic