OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Acetone As Scope Tube Cleaner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acetone As Scope Tube Cleaner
    Posted: April/22/2012 at 06:20
I just got a used Leupold matte scope which has what appears to be super glue residue on the tube.  Acetone is the indicated solvent for super glue.  I don't want to risk damaging the finish, though.  Has anyone used acetone as a scope tube cleaner with satisfactory results?
A professional is someone who can do his best work when he doesn't feel like it.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2012 at 07:19

I've used it (fingernail polish remover) on gloss scopes to remove tape residue and even paint off one I painted but I don't know about matte finishes. 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2012 at 11:00
The scope tube is anodized, so acetone will not hurt the tube finish at all.  DO NOT get it on the lenses or any rubber or plastic parts, though.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Blackmore View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2012 at 11:30
Thanks.  I'll take it real SLOW.
A professional is someone who can do his best work when he doesn't feel like it.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2012 at 11:57
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

The scope tube is anodized, so acetone will not hurt the tube finish at all.  DO NOT get it on the lenses or any rubber or plastic parts, though.

You  mean I should STOP using acetone to clean the lenses on my scopes???
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2012 at 12:16
MEK works faster at removing most anything that has had a solvent base.Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
NOT Recommended for scopes!!! or wood finishes    Big Grin
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2012 at 12:24
Why not play it safe and ask Leupold

Eagle
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2012 at 22:10
Acetone is extremely volitile and almost explosive and it is my opinion that it is also very toxic both upon skin exposure and inhalation. The reason I say this is that 4 of the people who I worked with that heavily used acetone developed Hodgkin's disease. I would find something else. Generally, as a benign solvent I like to use 91 percent isopropyl alchohol (the same stuff they swab on your skin prior to a flu shot). This stuff cuts thru many soft adhesives reasonably well. Hair spray might also work. 

All of my contacts with the folks at Leupold have been helpful.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2012 at 23:20
Personally, I use the Zeiss Spray Cleaner that I get from Chris here at SWFA, but apparently the guys at US Optics use Acetone for cleaning lenses.

Edited by Roy Finn - April/22/2012 at 23:27
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2012 at 07:23
Burris tech rep told me several years back that they use acetone to clean all scope lenses before they leave the factory.  So that's what I've been using ever since.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2012 at 08:26
Gas or lacquer thinner! Weapons of choice!
Old Mil ftw
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2012 at 13:00
I always play it safe with lens coatings.  Acetone may be o.k. for certain coatings, but since I've never needed to use anything other than lens cleaning solution specifically designed for optics to get lenses clean as new, I don't see a compelling reason to take a chance in possibly damaging the coatings.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2012 at 14:01

I always play it safe with lens coatings.  Acetone may be o.k. for certain coatings, but since I've never needed to use anything other than lens cleaning solution specifically designed for optics to get lenses clean as new, I don't see a compelling reason to take a chance in possibly damaging the coatings.

That's exactly the way I feel too. Zeiss spray and their lense cleaning wipes are all I've ever needed.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2012 at 14:02
Me too, especially since you can now get the Zeiss lens wipes at places like WalMart.
Ted

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2012 at 16:32

Me too, especially since you can now get the Zeiss lens wipes at places like WalMart.

Exactly Ted! Thats what I've been using.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2012 at 16:43
For removing that glue, a little acetone is probably fine. As far as lenses are concerned, I just found acetone disappointing...still left streaks. The Zeiss cleaner has worked the best for me.
Reaction time is a factor...
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 00:22
Lens (coated glass) vs tubes (anodized, coated or even painted aluminum)- entirely different.

Zeiss lens cleaner sounds like the way to go.

Constant exposure to acetone on your job sounds like oncoming health crisis. I don't care how well acetone would work as a solvent on anodized aluminum tubes or coated lenses. How well acetone would do on older magesium flouride lens coatings might be a problem. Acetone will quickly damage stock finishes and painted rifle parts. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 22:00
I totally agree. 

Acetone will not harm an anodized aluminum scope tube finish, I can say that for certain.  Type II or III hard anodizing used on aluminum alloys is produced by electrochemically forming an oxide layer on the surface that is then dyed and sealed, and acetone will not remove the oxide bond. 

As a lens cleaner, acetone may very well not harm lens coatings either; I don't know and I'm not willing to take the risk on my own gear, none of which was given to me for free.  What I do know for certain is there's a bunch of lens cleaning solutions available that definitely won't harm lens coatings, because cleaning optical lenses is precisely what they were designed to do.  Given that lens cleaning solutions will get even the dirtiest lenses just as spotless as the the day the optic was first removed from its box, and given that the lens cleaning wipes and solutions will also clean scope tubes just fine, why take risks on something else?  Even if an optic company specifically recommended using acetone to clean lenses, I still wouldn't put up with the smell and risk of spilling it and damaging stock finishes when the lens cleaning wipes and chamois lens cloths do such a good job.
Ted

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2012 at 02:08
A quick look at the MSDS (material data safety sheet) for acetone describes how bad this stuff is.

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2012 at 06:32
Originally posted by Stevey Ducks Stevey Ducks wrote:

Acetone is extremely volitile and almost explosive and it is my opinion that it is also very toxic both upon skin exposure and inhalation. The reason I say this is that 4 of the people who I worked with that heavily used acetone developed Hodgkin's disease. I would find something else. Generally, as a benign solvent I like to use 91 percent isopropyl alchohol (the same stuff they swab on your skin prior to a flu shot). This stuff cuts thru many soft adhesives reasonably well. Hair spray might also work. 

All of my contacts with the folks at Leupold have been helpful.

Got news for you Stevey....  Acetone is the solvent thats in Hairspray.  Used to use it to remove the ink stamped prices on can goods in the grocery store. 

It sure would go a long way toward explaining Female Logic though wouldn't it!  Wink
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic