OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

looking for a starter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghost_6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looking for a starter
    Posted: April/21/2012 at 21:06
I have a remington 5r and on it as of now is a 3-9x40 scope my range has a 600 yard range my goal is to ring medal at 1000. is there a SS version that will do both?
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2012 at 22:21
All of the SS Scopes will do that the more pricey ones have more features and clearer glass. But they all are repeatable and plenty clear for that.

Just depends what you want to spend.
Old Mil ftw
ghost_6 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghost_6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2012 at 09:34
I would like an adjustable one and I want a SS. Is there a certain power to not go over?
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2012 at 09:49
Right now, SWFA has 4 variable power SS scope in it's stable.

1-4

Soon to be released 1-6

3-9

5-20

Awhile back it was also rumored that there possible could be another model coming later this year that falls between the 3-9 and 5-20, but to date no details have been released on this mystery proto-type (you can give us some specifics anytime SWFA!)

The 3-9 would work depending on the size of your targets at 1000.

The 5-20 would also work, maybe better out to 1000 yds.  You will give up some low end and field of view the 5-20.  It's also quite a bit heavier if weight makes a difference.  Are you going to be humping this rifle, or is it strictly for range/target shooting?  Hopefully the 4000 discount coupon will get activated on the non-illum. 5-20 in a week or so.  $250.00 off makes it quite attractive.

You also just can't go wrong with the Mil-Quad 3-9 @ $599.00
If you can live with the discontinued Mil-Dot version, there are a few of those available on the Sample List for $499.00

I haven't tried my SS 3-99 out to 1000, but out to 600 yds it was quite adequate on some steel squares I plink at.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2012 at 11:00
+1...But to add that the 5-20 does not give up much to any optic anywhere...But all of the SS scopes are an amazing value. I have personally shot out over 1000 with an original 10x, and the 5-20. With the 10x, the problems are the close targets, unless you really use good technique of natural point of aim, and body alignment behind the rifle. This is definitely easier with a variable, due to the wider field of view at lower mags, but still very doable. In the next month or two, it will be even better, as the original line of fixed scopes are going to matching mil-based reticles and turrets.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2012 at 11:16
All SS scopes are great scopes in their respective price ranges.

Will the rifle be used for anything other than target shooting?

Personally, the 5-20X is too much magnification for me (for many others, it is perfect) and the 3-9 would be my choice for out to 600 yard shooting.

If always shooting from a stable shooting position, the 5-20X will probably shoot better groups simply due to better resolution of the target at those ranges.  But be aware that at 20X you can watch your heart-beat on the reticle.  I have found that, up to and including 1,000 yard shots, I shoot best with optics at about 12-15X.

The 5-20 gives you MUCH more on the high end, but gives up some to the 3-9X on the low end.  If you plan to hunt with the rifle, 5X is a little much for most hunting scenarios.

Both scopes are great.

And don't skimp on mounts.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
ghost_6 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghost_6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2012 at 13:56
I plan on just target shooting for now, and maybe doing a precision class once I figure out what I am doing. I have been reading all the threads here and on the snipers hide about the 5-20 and I think I am going to wait for them to get the likes and then buy it.  I am thinking that for 200-600 yards I will shoot on the 5 and for the 600+ yards I will use what ever helps me see. I am reading about Frist focal and second.
ghost_6 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghost_6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2012 at 14:00
Also I have a EGW hd base and for rings I will pick up some badgers.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2012 at 14:12
Welcome to Optics Talk. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic