OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lower power variable, your thoughts please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SixCats! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lower power variable, your thoughts please
    Posted: April/17/2012 at 20:00
Hi all,

SixCats! new member from Maine.  I'm trying to get back into shooting after nearly ten years away from Shooting.  Being almost fifty seven years old, my eyes aren't what they use to be!  Long story short, I am in need of a new Scope for my Remington 700 ADL .308 YOUTH 20" Barrel.
Yes, I know I need to change out that BPC (Black Plastic Crap) Stock for a real Stock.  This is proving to be VERY difficult, that is to say, finding an "aftermarket" replacement Stock for a Youth Rifle on a budget.  But I digress.....after weeks of research, I decided that a "lower power variable" would be my best bet for my (thick woods of Maine) Deer hunting & all around Rifle.  Here is what I have narrowed it down to thus far :

Redfield Revolution    2-7x33

Nikon Monarch           2-8x32

Burris FFII                  2-7x35

Vortex Viper               2-7x32

I would GREATLY appreciate your thoughts, suggestions, opinions.   At this time, I rather not go overboard (money wise) for a Zeiss or higher end Leupold.  I'd like to keep my budget to less than three hundred dollars.  I also have to buy Rings and I have to figure out my STOCK options!  I could use some help/suggestions with the Stock as well.  Oooh, I realize that the Vortex Viper I've listed is DIS-continued, however, I have a line on a said Scope for about two hundred dollars if that should make a difference in your Scope suggestions.  Thank you ever so much.

Regards,
SixCats!

Every time a Liberial enters a Gun Shop, a Unicorn dies!

University of Saigon 68
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2012 at 20:24
I own a redfield 2-7x33 mounted on a mini30, excellent glass very clear also good price.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2012 at 20:37
Of those you have mentioned, my first choice would be the Viper.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2012 at 20:38
I'd go with the Viper myself. Excellent warranty. I have a Diamondback and its awesome for the price.
Old Mil ftw
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2012 at 20:48
We lcome to the OT sixcats!
I know exactly what you mean by old eyesBig Grin The above scopes are all good choices I think the Vortex is probably the best of the lot!You might also want to take a look at the Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40.SWFA sells them for about $300 depending on the reticle you choose.

As far as rings go Talley makes a very good 1 piece mount.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2012 at 21:38
I have that little Viper in the BDC version.  I wish I had two more.
-Matt
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2012 at 00:14
My Remington 700 ADL 308 youth 20" barrel is set up with a Burris Signature 2-8X32 and an HS Precision stock. I think you're on the right track.

Of the scopes you have listed, I'd go with the Burris or the Vortex. Another one you could look at is the new Leupold VX-1 (not last year's VX-I) 2-7X32 muzzleloader scope. I like the heavy duplex on it.

I'd go with Burris XT bases and Warne Maxima low rings. Nothing wrong with the Talley lightweights that have already been suggested.

The 'youth' designation does not affect stock choice. Any 700 ADL short action stock will fit. Of course, you want one for the standard weight barrel. Hogue and Bell & Carlson are popular brands, and there are laminated wood stocks available.

SixCats! View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SixCats! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2012 at 05:25
Hi all,

Thank you so very much for all the excellent suggestions.  Wow, until recently, I never even heard of Vortex.  There sure seems to be a LARGE following for Vortex.  Then again, I also find a lot of fans of Burris, Redfield and Nikon (and a few other brands) which is why I am having such a difficult time deciding.  From my research, it appears one really can't go wrong with any of the aforementioned Scopes.  Oooh, I also spent lots of time on STOCKY'S web site last night.  I am happy to learn my 700 ADL Youth will fit into a Adult ADL Stock.  This makes things a lot easier.  Thanks again all.

Regards,
SixCats!

University of Saigon 68
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2012 at 06:09
Welcome to Optics Talk, Sixcats! 

This forum and it's members have been preaching the virtues of low power variables for years. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2012 at 06:55

Most people would say I am not a big fan of Leupold.  However, Leupold makes both a 2.5-8x36 and a 2-8x36.  I like them both and they are always in my realm of "possibilities" when looking for a low power variable.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2012 at 07:55
I own both the Nikon and Vortex that you have listed.  The Nikon is on a R700 in 7mm-08 and the Vortex is on a TC Venture in 308.  After hunting with both for the last 3 years, I personally like the Vortex better.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2012 at 09:42
http://www.samplelist.com/Riflescopes-C3391.aspx 
SPL15305 Burris 1.5-6x40 Signature Select Rifle Scope DEMO-C
Click to view 200717, Matte, Taper Plex, 30mm
$299.95
SPL13148 Burris 2-8x32 Signature Select Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view 200552, Silver, Plex, 1"
$249.95
SPL15929 Leupold 2-7x33 VX-R 30mm Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view 111233, Matte, Ballistic FireDot, 30mm
$389.95
SPL15754 Weaver 1.5-5x32 Grand Slam Riflescope DEMO-B
Click to view 800471, Matte, Dual-X, 1"
$219.95
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2012 at 12:11
Welcome to the OT.

Another vote for the Vortex Viper 2-7.  Vortex really stands behind their products and have one of the best warranties in the business if you ever need it.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2012 at 12:32
I also have a vortex 2-7, nice little scope.  It's a shame they are no longer available.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2012 at 13:00
In your price range Vortex Viper 2-7x32 is probably your best bet.

ILya
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2012 at 15:28
Noted as of a while ago there was a burris 2-7 fullfield on the sample list for $119 in A condition. I have bought 2-3 scopes from the sample list in B condition and their rating is very conservative. I'm figuring this one must be like new. Good scope for that kind of tariff and they are good to deal with.
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2012 at 19:04
1st choice Viper
2nd Burris FF2

You will not be disappointed with either scopes.
Dont take yourself to seriously
SixCats! View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SixCats! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2012 at 19:18
Hi all,

LucyT, here's what I learned today.  There is a business here on the East Coast that carries the Vortex Viper 2-7X32.  I told the Salesman that I thought that Scope was discontinued and he said yes it was discontinued.  At this point, I'm a bit confused.  The Salesman then informs me their business has a "special" contract with Vortex to produce (for them) the Viper 2-7X32.  Does anyone know if this sounds legit ?  I suppose I should place a phone call to Vortex tomorrow and find out the story.
Might anyone know if the ORIGINAL Viper variable was made in the Philippines ?  The Salesman lead me to believe that this current "special" Viper is made overseas.  The Salesman however did say that Vortex was an American Company in WI.  I am thinking about going with this VORTEX VIPER if, if it is indeed the real McCoy.  Oooh, btw, what might be considered the best Reticle, BDC or V-plex ?

Regards,
SixCats!

University of Saigon 68
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2012 at 00:01
Vortex is an American company.

Vortex Viper scopes were (and are) always made in the Phillipines.

The only new production Viper 2-7x32 scopes are available through that dealer to the best of my knowledge.  They had a special run made.

ILya
SixCats! View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SixCats! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2012 at 04:41
Hi ILya,

Thank you for confirming that info.

Regards,
SixCats!

University of Saigon 68
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic