OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Archery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

In the market for a new bow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In the market for a new bow
    Posted: April/15/2012 at 21:25
So I'm in the market for a new bow.  It will need to be left handed....so that limits how many I get the chance to shoot as most stores don't stock every model left handed. Also want it camo.

I'm looking at these types  29 draw and 60-70 weight

Hoyt Vector 32
Hoyt CRX 32
Matthews Z7
Matthews Heli-m
Bowtech Invasion
Bowtech Insanity

So far I'm leaning toward the Heli because I liked the feel of the grip and the light weight.  Any one shoot multiple ones of these?  What's the cons of the one you own?

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2012 at 07:30
Don't leave out the bow-tech assassin. I set one up and shot it yesterday. 55pounds of pull 28 inch draw, Easton epic 340 with a 125gr tip, was shooting at 283. It was smoking and very quite. also don't over look the maxxis line from Hoyt. I shoot a maxxis 32. When setting them up keep in mind the cams are very aggressive and the "published" spine weight will not act like it should thru these bows sometimes. I had to go from a 100gr to a 125 gr in a stiff 340 arrow to keep the tail whip down. I shot it thru paper and it tore right. I moved everything and it always tore right. add the 125BH and it tore perfect and my sight didn't need to be move..

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2012 at 20:06
What ever you get, you need to get one that feels good in the hand.  If it doesn't feel good in my hands, i have trouble shooting it.  A good feel, balance, and draw length is the most important to me.  Then I look at speeds and such.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2012 at 22:07
I have Matthews and Hoyt bows, several of them and I think the Matthews is what I would pick they are ultra reliable. The up side of some of the Hoyt bows is that some have cams that are adjustable which makes it easier to sell them down the road to someone with a different draw length. Still when I hunt I take the Matthews.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sammie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2012 at 18:20
Thanks for the info.  Like  I said its tough because I'm left handed to really get the chance to try out each bow.  I can hold a right handed bow and see what its like but shooting is gonna be a riot and not sure how that will tell me if the bow is for me.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Heli-m due to the grip and weight.  What I'm worried about is it being too light (easy to cause movement during the shot) and noise.  Also the price isn't that appealing.

I shoot a Hoyt ZR200 Magnatech right now.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2012 at 21:34
You are focusing on the 3 best brands in Hoyt, Mathews, and Bow Tech, in my opinion.  Go to a store (or stores) that carries all 3 and shoot 'em all.  Buy the one that you shoot best and fits your grip style and draw length.  I like a low wrist, narrow grip myself.  Don't get too hung up on speed.  A moderate speed, quiet bow that you shoot accurately always trumps a blazing fast, noisy bow that's less forgiving.  The good news is you don't necessarily have to sacrifice much speed for silence and accuracy with today's modern bows.  
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2012 at 20:12
[QUOTE=sammie] Thanks for the info.  Like  I said its tough because I'm left handed to really get the chance to try out each bow.  I can hold a right handed bow and see what its like but shooting is gonna be a riot and not sure how that will tell me if the bow is for me.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Heli-m due to the grip and weight.  What I'm worried about is it being too light (easy to cause movement during the shot) and noise.  Also the price isn't that appealing.

I shoot a Hoyt ZR200 Magnatech right now.

The Hoyt your shooting is a good bow but going to then Heli-m is one I think you'll be happy with. I am a Hoyt fan but due to shoulder injury I went with a Matthews Hyper-lite a few yrs ago because Hoyt didn't offer anything that suited me at the time. The new heli-m is very similar in weight and with the updated cable guide and cam it is very fast and quiet. I don't think that the bow being light will be an issue concerning movement during a shot. Draw weight will insure a stable shot as long as you don't set it higher than you need. A friend has a heli-m and I've shot it. A very good bow and one that I believe will hold value very well also. Good Luck and let us know what you get.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 14:34

I shoot the invasion at 60lbs and love itSmile  they are all good these days. A guy can go on ebay and get a great lefty bow on a budget. Almost all of the matthews line is SOLID. Even the 5 + year old bows are VERY good. Good luck and let us know what you wind up with

Dont take yourself to seriously
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 15:46
I didn't like the Heli-m.

I felt a lot of vibration when shooting it. I did like the Maxxis a lot, but the Z7 and the Switchback XT are my favorite. Big Grin.

BigDaddy and Rifledude are right though. I would find someone in your area that has all of them and shoot them all.

The new Bowtech Invasion is recieving great reviews also.

But Matthew's has had my money. Yippee
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 04:58
Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

I felt a lot of vibration when shooting it. I did like the Maxxis a lot, but the Z7 and the Switchback XT are my favorite. Big Grin.

BigDaddy and Rifledude are right though. I would find someone in your area that has all of them and shoot them all.

getting smart are we?

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 15:45
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

getting smart are we?

Getting smart?

I have to say when you and I spoke on the phone, I took it to heart and knocked out two birds with one stone.
Cinnamon Creek has a 3D range and a facility that had everything that we talked about.
And I really like how the Invasion and the Alfamax felt and shot. There wasn't alot of vibration after the realease and they both were very comfortable. In comparison to the Heli-M.

But for right now, I'm going to hold on to what I have but in the future I am going to keep an open mind Hoyt.
I like were their game is right now.

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2012 at 07:01

getting smart are we?

Getting smart?

I have to say when you and I spoke on the phone, I took it to heart and knocked out two birds with one stone.
Cinnamon Creek has a 3D range and a facility that had everything that we talked about.
And I really like how the Invasion and the Alfamax felt and shot. There wasn't alot of vibration after the realease and they both were very comfortable. In comparison to the Heli-M.

But for right now, I'm going to hold on to what I have but in the future I am going to keep an open mind Hoyt.

In all honesty (fun and crap talking) Hoyt and The "M" word are both great bows. The bow tech stuff is pretty nice also. It all boils down to the feel of the bow in your hands. I'm still trying to work it out where I can swing out and hang at swfa another day then go shooting with ya'll ( you and duce, rifles and bows) and hit hook r row with Brady. Grab a drink or four with Chris (boss hoss). It might happen mid august or end of july. may and june are shot.

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2012 at 07:54

getting smart are we?

Getting smart?

In all honesty (fun and crap talking) Hoyt and The "M" word are both great bows. The bow tech stuff is pretty nice also. It all boils down to the feel of the bow in your hands. I'm still trying to work it out where I can swing out and hang at swfa another day then go shooting with ya'll ( you and duce, rifles and bows) and hit hook r row with Brady. Grab a drink or four with Chris (boss hoss). It might happen mid august or end of july. may and june are shot.

Your right, between the two it's like to brothers fighting over a dump truck in the sandbox. Both are great and they are contantly evolving. But the key is like you said, how does it feel? If it doesn't feel right, odds are that you are not goiing to like it, the longer you keep it. Keep going and shoot each one, until you find one that fits you the best.

Brandon-

That would be awesome, planning on bring KB? I will try to line some stuff up for you shooting wise, just pm me a timeline.
@WitsEnd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote @WitsEnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2012 at 09:47

I was in the similiar situation last year. Shoot them all and pick the one that feels good to YOU.

Hoyt has my money
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2012 at 10:33
I have a hoyt and a mathews.  The mathews is a feathermax from 1997.  The hoyt is a vectrix from 2007.  For me, I like the added weight of the vectrix over the new ultralight bows.  It helps me keep a steadier aim.  Obviously, everyone's different, and has different quirks and tendencies, so I think you have gotten the only really relevant advice from others...i.e., shootem all and pick what you like. 

The one place where folks have gotten sucked in by the bow companies is the marketing.  I know some folks own bow shops and have connections and what not, and can obtain the latest and greatest bow for less than the $8-1200 it costs for a new one.  But bows are not like rifles.  One bow is usually the right medicine for any size game, needing only change the tip for the intended purpose (exception is bowfishing).  The bow companies have done a phenomenal job of getting us to buy a new bow every year or every other year despite marginal increases in certain aspects of performance.  Certainly my vectrix was leaps and bounds more powerful and better at dampening vibration out of the box than my feathermax, but since the single cam and cam + 1/2 bows were introduced, there really hasn't been a "revolution" in bow technology, in my opinion.  I find myself a 5-10yr bow guy, and I do keep my old bows, mainly because they are set up for me, they shoot for me, and I like them.  In fact, when I go back and shoot that old mathews, with the addition of a string stop, it shoots just as dead in the hand as the vectrix.  I may be looking for a bow in the next year or two, but it's hard to justify a new one all the time.  Ok.  Off the soap box.  Good luck to the OP in deciding.
sammie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2012 at 20:24
Thanks for all the thoughts. 

My biggest problem as originally stated.....I'm left handed.  No shops carry all the choices in left handed versions.  So I don't get to shoot everything.
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2012 at 21:31
I too am lefty. For what it's worth I went and handled the heli m and the pse evo and orhers but my favorite for my feel is the one I ordered and am patiently waiting for--a G5 prime shift at 70# at 28.5. Smooth and fast with a different Pull stroke than the others. I'll post after I'm shooting, hopefully in the next two weeks...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic