OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron SIII 6x24x50 LRMOA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommo-UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightron SIII 6x24x50 LRMOA
    Posted: April/14/2012 at 05:34
Just bought this scope and I am very impressed with it indeed. They are taking off in a big way over here in the UK. Cost here, for this model, around $1350.00.

It's a very uncluttered scope but the optics are excellent and the edge-to-edge clarity is superb. Turrents move well, not too slack, not too stiff and have a great 'feel' to the clicks. I will be using this from 100m to +1000m, although with it being on a 20MOA rail I'm wondering if I'd get a 100m zero?.

My initial choice was for a Leupold Mk4 8.5x25x50 with M4 turrets and an MRAD reticle. BUT.. I can't get that configuration from a UK dealer and, because of the ITAR / Export Restrictions, no-one in the US will sell me one.. well, not without the six months worth of export licence paperwork / forms that would be needed.

What do you guys think of the Sightron??

I have an ageing SS 10x42M which I totally adore. It's been used at all ranges up to and including 1000m and has never failed me. So solid I think you could hammer fence posts in with it and nobody here can believe the price is so low..!!!!! I guess there will be a lot of Brits who just look at the SWFA website and drool at all the goodies. But, apart from not exporting to us, it saddens me to say they wont even reply to emails requesting info.. If only they knew the high regard their SS scopes are held here. After mentioning I was getting the Sightron I received five emails from people asking if I wanted to sell the SS, and offering me more than a new one costs (in dollars).

Well my wife and I are in the US at the beginning of June. We have friends in Jackson, MS and I always get some range-time in at a place called Surplus City and shopping trips to both Bass Pro and Cabelas.

If there are any forum members from in or around Jackson let me know.. for us Brits June will be hot enough for a beer or two   Cheers
Wisdom is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Knowledge is not putting it in a fruit salad
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2012 at 12:47
Have fun June should be a nice time to visit plenty warm. If you do make more trips back her you should take a drive across Texas in late March early April when the wildflowers are in bloom.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2012 at 21:18
I think that Sightron's SIII line is really nice.  I don't know about the plastic turrets, though.
-Matt
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2012 at 21:40
I have been happy with the SIghtron SIII in mil/mil with the exception of the reticle.  I also like the MOA reticle version but don't like the DOT in the middle .... why not just crosshairs.  The SIII series has a lot of bang for the buck.

Tommo-UK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommo-UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2012 at 05:38
Excellent review. I have to say that mine wont be subjected to much 'abuse' other than in and out of a drag-bag at the range. My 'target' rifle is far too heavy (+16 pounds) to even consider hunting with it..

I do like the MOA reticle very much and I see your point about the center dot. My first shoot will be 600 yards so maybe I'll be able to comment more after that.
Wisdom is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Knowledge is not putting it in a fruit salad
NoahbodyImportant View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoahbodyImportant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2012 at 09:56
Anybody able to provide a picture looking down range with the new LRMOA reticle?

Much Appreciated.

Jeff
Secretary, Alliance Rifle Club and Ohio-Penn League
Savage 12 F/TR, EGW HD F-Class 20moa scope mount, SWFA SS 30mm medium rings, Sightron SIII 8-32x56
zlman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2012 at 21:44
I'd like to find one available stateside, last I heard was late april early may. Maybe.
Tommo-UK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommo-UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2012 at 06:07
Originally posted by zlman zlman wrote:

I'd like to find one available stateside, last I heard was late april early may. Maybe.

Wow.. and here's lil' ol' me thinking all you guys had to do was go to your nearest dealer...!! I suspect there's a general belief here in the UK that, because so many shooting related companies are US based, getting your hands on stuff is so much easier.

In the UK we have but one direct link to a US company and that's Midway. However it appears that all they have done is change the $ sign to the £ sign on everything on the website; thus prices are quite expensive. Add to that they have silly shipping prices which, unless you buy a collection of items, hikes up the price even more. And Midway UK is based in a room in someone's house... you play a long waiting game when ordering anything from them as they then 'order' from the US website..!!!

Cabelas, Bass Pro and Gander Mountain will ship pretty much anything and they do with with frightening speed. My best personal results were ordering a pair of leather shooting gloves from Cabelas, online late on a Sunday night only to receive them lunchtime on Tuesday...!! And they cost me, including postage, about $25.00 less than I would have paid here in the UK.

A trip to the US has got to include a visit to any (or all) of the above retailers. I can't imagine not going, even my wife loves them.

That said there is one place, infinitely smaller than Cabelas, Bass Pro etc, but chocked full of goodies and with a such a warm, friendly welcome. The place is called Surplus City and it's in Clinton, just outside Jackson, MS. I get a real US welcome, and great Southern hospitality. It's only small but what a great bunch of people. First class facilities and I'm able to walk in off the street and shoot all manner of handguns which have been banned in the UK for 15 years now. The Army taught me to shoot a 9mm Highpower, but I exceeded this when I was stationed in Germany and got to know a guy from a US Armoured unit and I was able to shoot his 1911. It's been a passion of mine ever since and the last time I was in the US I had a lot of fun with a Springfield 1911 in 9mm Luger.

I hope you don't have to wait too long for your scope zlman.
zlman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2012 at 06:40
Tommo,

Interesting hearing you're perspective on whats available to us in the states.
There is a Cabelas in my hometown so I'm there often, many times I'll see tourists (most seem to be from Asia) in the gun isle handling some rifles. They are amazed that a store will have all these weapons "just sitting around". Talked to a gentleman from Belgium, I believe, one afternoon. He was pretty impressed with the selection of scopes and red-dots, I think he picked up 4 Burris Fastfires while I was near him. Enjoy your trip!
NoahbodyImportant View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoahbodyImportant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2012 at 09:49
I just ordered the 8-32X56 LRMOA for my Savage 12 F T/R.

Thank you Chris for the help in placing the order!

Jeff
Secretary, Alliance Rifle Club and Ohio-Penn League
Savage 12 F/TR, EGW HD F-Class 20moa scope mount, SWFA SS 30mm medium rings, Sightron SIII 8-32x56
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic