OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which Aimpoint

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Aimpoint
    Posted: April/13/2012 at 11:15
I have a midlength AR-15, nothing special, use it mainly on the range and take it with me on the four wheeler when I am working around the deer lease, we have a problem with coyotes and stray dogs.  I want to get an Aimpoint for it but can't really justify spending the money on a Micro so I have narrowed my choices to the following:

Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic Red Dot Sight

or

Aimpoint CompC3 30mm Red Dot Sight Kit

Anybody have any experience with either one that can help?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 11:20
For only about $100 more than the compC3  there is this one -
SPL15735 Aimpoint Micro T-1 Red Dot Sight DEMO-A
Click to view 12356, Matte, 4 MOA Dot, Night Vision Compatible
$539.95
Wink
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 11:22
I saw that, I really want a 2 MOA, don't ask me why because I really don't know, I just shoot better with my buddies 2 MOA Aimpoint than his 4 MOA, more precise and almost as fast. Plus, it doesn't come with a mount.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 11:27
Gotcha.  I did notice that your two you linked were 2MOA
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 11:47
Your shots will be quick, I'd consider a reflex instead of Aimpoint. It is always one, no batteries to fail, nice sharp aiming point.

For your intended purpose, I much prefer the reflex.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 15:25
I will have see if I know anyone with a reflex site, would really like to try one before I buy it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 15:48

I like reflex sites, very fast, no batteries, no "on" switch.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 15:54
Thanks for the picture.  Is it an absolute co-witness or lower 1/3, or can you get different mounts?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 16:18
There are many mounts for reflex sites, this is the not my favorite, but it works. 

And it is a lower 1/3 cowitness in this setup.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 16:38
RC, how long does the tritium last before it starts going South? 
I've heard 10-13 years? 

Never used a Reflex, but if RC says it's a GO, then that's good enough for me. I respect his recommendation. 

I use and LOVE my Aimpoint Micro. 
Batteries be damned, I have yet to have them crap out on any Aimpoint before I changed them. 
Micro's battery will last 5 YEARS....continuous ON the 8 setting??!!?!? Yippee

Seriously....battery life on a Micro being 5 years or more years continous ON?? It's almost as though they aren't battery operated. Almost....Wink 
Long live Aimpoint!!!  

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 16:53
I just thought I was down to two options, may just continue saving and trying different types out.  I know I like Aimpoints, but the reflex looks good too, arggg!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 19:37
I really like my aimpoints, and am currently playing with a Micro, which is pretty sweet.  I would have to play with a reflex, but not sure they are that much faster, but I am sure they are if RC says they are.  I may have to get one to play with to see.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 19:42
Originally posted by cpwomack cpwomack wrote:

I just thought I was down to two options, may just continue saving and trying different types out.  I know I like Aimpoints, but the reflex looks good too, arggg!

Get both....Bandito
"A prisoner of the white lines on the freeway"
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 22:03
+1 for reflex ... no batteries ... no knobs ... just point and shoot ...

I have a couple and am happy I switched over from Aimpoints, don't get me wrong ... aimpoints are nice and fast, and I like them a LOT better than EoTechs ... but not needing batteries is the cats A$$ if you ask me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 22:08
Don't get me wrong, i run an Aimpoint micro and reflex, both are great. The reflex is all but bombproof. The Aimpoint is too, but there is a battery.

The reflex can be had in a triangle reticle which serves multiple purposes (finer aiming point at the tip, triangle body for rougher, faster aiming point.)

Both are good options, just trying to complicate things by throwing the reflex out there.

If I had to have one, it'd be a tossup, having usd both. The aimpoint is cooler, reflex is kinda old school.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - April/15/2012 at 13:12
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2012 at 12:15
Look at this one
Trijicon 1x42 Reflex II Dual Illuminated Sight Trijicon 1x42 Reflex II Dual Illuminated Sight
Stock # - RX34
  • 4.5 MOA Amber Dot
  • Free Lens Pen w/ Purchase
$504.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2012 at 12:17
Actually I like the compact ACOG better than the reflex but I like the 42mm version reflex better than the older smaller style.  The reflex does have a coating on it so not quite clear glass where the compact ACOG is clear with tritium and fiber optic illumination.
Trijicon 1.5x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope Red Crosshair Trijicon 1.5x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA45R4
  • Red Crosshair
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
$945.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2012 at 12:17
I wish I could afford both, but I am having a 308 built so my budget for this optic is not that much, was trying to keep the optic and mount down to $500.  May just stick with irons for a few more months and see how much I can save before I finally purchase something.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2012 at 13:40
Sorry, it was absolutely not my intention to muddy the waters.

I too like the ACOG, but don't find it quite as user-friendly as the reflex.  On speedy shots, nothing beats a "no eye relief" optic.

I doubt you'd be disappointed in either the Aimpoint (any model) or the reflex.

And there is a micro on the sample list

For  yote rifle, the patrol rifle version should be fine.  Are you carrying the rifle on the 4-wheeler in a scabbard or on a bar rack up front or on your person?  If in a scabbard, be aware that Aimpoints hang up easily: voice of experience.  I usually now wear mine cross slung, stand and fire, very fast.

Another option is a good 1-4, not as fast on target, but a little more precision for longer shots.

Currently, my speed ARs wear reflex and aimpoint, and the slower, more accurate longer range AR wears a 1-4 (SS, great optic) and I am very pleased with all in their specific application.  The "go-to" AR, if I hear a bump in the night, wears the reflex.  When fractions of a second count, I hate cranking my micro up to visible.  That said, leave it on and just change the batteries every 2 years to be sure.  I prefer as idiot proof as possible. (Once the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not your friend!)

Mark, tritium half life is 12.32 years (so says wiki), meaning in 12.32 years, it'll be half as bright as it is today, and in another 12.32 years, half as bright again.  For night sites, I usually get a solid 12-15 years before I swap them, keeping in mind that you don't need bright dots in the day or the night.

My reflex is the older version, I have been considering trying the newer one, might be a range report coming soon.

So, long post, recap:

1.  The patrol rifle version will be fine.  I do recommend the 2 MOA dot if your eye sight is close to 20/20.  
2.  The micro is great, minimal tube, very clear, dot is very well defined, brightness covers pretty much the whole spectrum, from NV up to full light.
3.  The reflex is very fast, very reliable, and always on.  It's singular weakness, in my opinion, is washout.  The reticle can be tough to find if the shooter is in a dimly lit area, firing into a brightly lit area - as in at night firing at something on which you have flashlight illumination.  The triangle reticle helps here, as does a color other than amber.
4.  If the shots are all 100 years or so (or closer) the 2 MOA dot is perfect.  If some are longer (or your yotes aren't as skittish as the ones I hunt), a good 1-4 will give you more precision at longer ranges while only costing a little more - and only giving up a little to the need for consistent cheek weld.

Hope that helps.
Barnacle Bill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barnacle Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2012 at 15:32
I have an Aimpoint PRO and I like it very much.  I also own & love Micro's, but I think the PRO is the best Aimpoint deal around.  Of your original choices, I'd go with the PRO.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic