OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need a few scope recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a few scope recommendations
    Posted: April/13/2012 at 09:27
Ok folks, I have a few guns to scope/rescope.

Heavy barrel Remington 700 22-250 varmint composite:
Currently it has an older Sightron SII (not big sky) 3-9 x42. I want something with much better optics and a wider and longer zoom range. I am going to be handloading for it and shooting for groups out to 500 yards. I will also go hunting with it occasionally, hence the desire for a zoom, rather than a fixed.

CZ 512 22 WMR: I will be target shooting and small critter hunting with it. Good optics necessary but I do not want a very busy reticle. A ballistic reticle is OK if it is not really busy.

DPMS LR 308 16 inch barrel - currently had a 3x Burris but I want something I can shoot hogs in the dark with and punch paper at distance. Illumination is a plus, maybe not necessary. Needs to be very bright. I will probably buy a longer barreled upper for long range shooting, so I would move a scope back and forth between uppers on occasion possibly, or if the price is right, buy two different scopes.

Budget up to $2000 for the whole project.

any ideas?

Jack

Edited by jladams - April/13/2012 at 09:33
Jack
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 10:00
For the Remington -
Minox 4-20x50 ZA5 Riflescope Minox 4-20x50 ZA5 Riflescope
Stock # - 66030
  • Matte
  • Mino-Plex
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
$698.95 
Add Minox 4-20x50 ZA5 Riflescope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
For the CZ -
Pride Fowler 3-9x32 Rapid Reticle .22Magnum Rifle Scope Pride Fowler 3-9x32 Rapid Reticle .22Magnum Rifle Scope
Stock # - RR222
  • Matte
  • Rapid Reticle Aiming System
  • 1"
  • First Focal Plane Reticle
$304.95 
IF this is to busy for you, then this would be a second pick -
Weaver 3-10x40 Grand Slam Rifle Scope Ballistic X Weaver 3-10x40 Grand Slam Rifle Scope
Stock # - 800472
  • Matte
  • Ballistic X
  • 1"
  • Mail-In Buck Commander BlackTimber Hunting Pack Coupon
$319.95 
Add Weaver 3-10x40 Grand Slam Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

And for the AR -
Leupold 4-12x40 VX-R 30mm Riflescope Leupold 4-12x40 VX-R 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU111238
  • Matte
  • FireDot Duplex
  • 30mm
  • Custom Dial System
  • 1-Button Illumination
  • Vibration Sensor
  • Index Matched Lens Coatings
  • Lead-Free Edge-Blackened Lenses
$629.95 
or if you want super bright -
Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR222G
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot
  • 30mm
$870.95 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 11:05
For the 22-250, I will second the recommendation for the Minox ZA-5 4-20x50.  It is a nice scope and fits the rifle well.  For about $700, it is a good option.

For the 22WMR, the Pride Fowler is a good option if you want a holdover reticle.  If you are OK with a simple reticle, there are many good options out there and I would be looking at a solid 3-9x40 scope, something along the lines of Zeiss Conquest or Minox ZA-3 3-9x40 or Meopta MeoPro.  A scope like that will run you around $400.

For the 308, it gets a little more involved since you want something with good low light performance that can also double as a long range scope later.  Since we are talking 308Win on an AR platform, I will assume that long range in this case means "within 800 yards".  308 can definitely be stretched further, but that is probably where it is at its best.

What this is telling me is that you want a combination of large objective lens, moderate magnification (you need a large exit pupil for low light) and easily adjustable and repeatable knobs for when you need to shoot a little further.  The reticle also has to be conducive to both low light use and precision shooting.  All of this has to fit into your remaining budget, which is about $1k (by the way, I hope the mounts are coming out of a different budget).

What you need here is something along the lines of a 3-15x50 or 4-16x50 or either of those two configurations with a 56mm objective.

This is a tough thing to find within your price range.  Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 is a good option as is Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50.  Weaver is a little better optically I think, but both are goo dfor the money and stay within your budget.

IOR Tactical 4-14x50 would be a good option, but it is a little outside your stated budget.

Generally, this last scope should generally be more expensive.  Or, if you delete the long range requirement, there are several good quality 2.5-10x56 and 3-12x56 scopes in your price range with 2.5-10x56 Trijicon and 3-12x56 Meopta Meostar being my favourites.

ILya
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 13:21
Thanks. I will take a look a these.
Jack
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 21:57
Does the .22 wmr have to have a ballistic or holdover reticle? Do you need target turrets? If not, you might want to move the SII to the .22 and free up a few dollars for the other two. Just a thought.

Good luck.
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2012 at 09:38
That is kind of what I was thinking. In fact I may just do that. Now, that those funds are freed up, does that change anything on the other two?
Jack
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2012 at 22:57
Ok. 1 down. Got the 4-20x50 Minox coming for the 22-250. Now I just need to decide for the 308. I would get a 5-20 SS but I think I need something a little wide down low for close in shooting. May end up with a 3-12 x56 Meopta or similar.
Jack
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2012 at 23:04
any ideas on this:

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-35-21x50-Elite-Tactical-34mm-Rifle-Scope-P51675.aspx

Jack
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2012 at 23:37
I would also consider this Weaver 3-15 x50 tactical for your 308.

http://swfa.com/Weaver-3-15x50-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P55482.aspx
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2012 at 09:54
Minox 4-20 x50 came in yesterday. I will mount it up on the 22-250 today. Initial impression so far is good. The optical quality is great, especially for the price I paid. I bought the one with the BDC reticle. It wasn't my first choice of reticle but its not bad and the price was better.

Now I have to scope the 308. Big Smile

Edited by jladams - April/21/2012 at 12:32
Jack
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2012 at 10:59
You could always stick with minox and go with a 3-15.  you'll be fimilar with the controlsWink
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2012 at 12:22
Yeah that would bring my total to 3 Minox scopes. I really want something great in the dark though. 
Jack
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2012 at 12:26
I could move my Kahles Helia CL over and put something else on my 270wsm...nah. I got it set up and don't want to move it. Too lazy for that. lol
Jack
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic