OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Anybody ever used any of these?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody ever used any of these?
    Posted: April/12/2012 at 18:38
Im looking at getting a smaller caliber rifle other than my .300 or .270 and larger than a .22lr. I have been doing a little browsing online and in the sporting good stores when i get a chance. I personally like Remington 700s but have also looked at Weatherbys and even a few Savages. Personally i dont like the Savages, I have not shot any just dont care for the feel of them. So the rifles i have looked at are these, the first is the Remington Model 700™ SPS™ Tactical in .223. It comes with a 1 in 9" twist and its my understanding that with that rate of twist you can shoot "heavier" bullets. The second i have been looking at is the Model 700™ SPS™ Varmint also in .223, i know it is offered in 22-250 as well but have been told the barrel life is not as long in the caliber. The rate of twist in this model is 1 in 12". The third option is the Remington Model 700™ Varmint SF in .223 this also has a 1 in 12" rate of twist. The fourth rifle i have been looking at is the new Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 Varmint RC in .223 with 1 in 12" rate of twist. I like the stalk on this rifle as well as the sub MOA guarantee. 
Basically from the rifles i've posted i want a .223 with a heavy barrel. I would like to stay at or under 1k and to be honest it will most likely be used 95% of the time at the range and not in the field but would like to be able to drop a coyote while im out deer hunting or chuckar hunting. Last year i took a coyote and 30 yds with a .270 and turned it inside out Bucky.
Here's the links to above mentioned rifles:

Remington Model 700™ SPS™ Tactical
1. http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-tactical.aspx
Model 700™ SPS™ Varmint
2. http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-varmint.aspx
Model 700™ Varmint SF
Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 Varmint RC

If any one has any experience with these or other recomendations i would appreciate the input. Thanks in advance. -Brad-
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2012 at 19:03
SPS Tactical in .223 here. 
Traded a guy for it and he changed the original stock out to a B&C M40 before we traded. 

Decent rifle. MOA capable, with hand loads. Very handy with the 20" barrel. The original Hogue stock is considered to be junk, by most accounts. 
X Pro trigger is OK. Got it tuned down to around 3.5 lbs, I guess. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Brad4213 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2012 at 19:57

I have the xmark trigger in my .270 i liked it a whole lot more than the original trigger in my .300 but a trigger job fixed that. Factory my .300 was set at 7.5lbs+, no wonder i was missing everything Bandito, but after a trigger job its down to 2.5-. I was curious about the hogue stock. I have felt one in the store and the grip seemed too "fat" to me but i figured thats because i've only owned stock stocks. lol. I just dont want to have to spend the money on a new gun and then turn around and spend another $300-500 on a new stock. Thank you for your input. I do appreciate it.Yippee

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2012 at 20:13
Don't know about the Vanguard, but the Remington's you mentioned have "sucky" stocks. 
The Hogue might be the best stock of the 3, actually. You can replace a stock on any of the 3 with a better option, like a Bell & Carlson, for about $215 or so. 

I love the 20" barrel and I've shot some decent, sub MOA groups with it with 69gr SMK's. This rig is more of a "truck gun" too me.     

I stuck a Leupold VXR 3-9x on it with Talley mounts and so far, so good. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2012 at 20:15
I would go with a 1-12 twist for the lighter bullets. The SPLAT stuff.

The stock can be changes out later for little money. I would get a good scope/base/rings before the stock.

I would go with and have went with Model 700™ SPS™ Varmint
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2012 at 21:12
I have an older model of the VSF in 22-250.  It is a 1-14 twist and works great for 45 to 55 gr bullets.  It shoots great for me.  It is the middle gun.

To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Brad4213 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2012 at 21:17
Looks good. Yippee
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2012 at 21:24
Download CDNN's catalogue. The have several you might be interested in, all for great prices. Personally, I like the Howa 1500 Varmint in 204 ruger for 389.00.  You mentioned the Weatherby vanguard above-barreled action is made by Howa.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2012 at 22:37
I would be looking at a Rem 700 SS 5R 223. They can be hard to find, but they shoot very well. I have one in 308 and it is a real shooter. The local gun store had one and I was thinking very hard about it, but someone else beat me to it.
Brad4213 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2012 at 23:41
I have actually never heard of the 5r outside of this forum. Ill google it and see what happens. Ive been leaning towards the sps tactical or the varmint sf. I dont think it will make a difference either way. I know once i figure out the gun i want its gonna be another hard decision on the optics for it. Its a never ending cycleWhacko
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 07:08
I hate to throw something in the mix but. Take a nice look at the savage LRPV in a 22-250 with a fast twist barrel. I had one and it was a true tack drive 20 shot in same hole off the bags. Its a heaver rifle but they are bad arise. The triggers are very nice. I had mine set at 6onces. yes ounces. I miss this rifle like I did all the others I HAD to sell kicking and screaming.

This was it

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 08:26
Or you could go with a Savage 12 VLP DBM, they are available in:

204 Ruger - 1:12
22-250 - 1:9
22-250 - 1:12
223 - 1:9
223 - 1:7

They usually run around $900 around here.  One of the guys I shoot with regulary has the 223 with the 1:7 twist and it routinely shoots sub 0.5 MOA with his handloaded 77 gr SMK's.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 08:29
Yall really rag the houge stocks but After a little work they are fine.  Mine shoots sub MOA all day
I cut my SPS Tactical 308 down to 16" and love it.  It wears a SS 3-9 now but here it is when I was using it for some "pest" control at night.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 09:42
Another option not yet discussed is a Tikka T3 varmint, well within budget, better stock than the SPS (though far from great) and fantastic "out of the box" accuracy. The singular downside is that all Tikka T3s are long action, even those chambering short action rounds.  But the action is hella strong, and the bolts run butter smooth.

As for the SPS stock and its usability, it doesn't fit me well, and has incredibly cheap built quality.  I toss mine first thing, followed by the Xmark trigger.

Lastly, if this is purely a range gun, 223 is a good choice, lots of inexpensive ammo around.  If it will ever be used for other purposes, consider other options.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 10:31
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Another option not yet discussed is a Tikka T3 varmint, well within budget, better stock than the SPS (though far from great) and fantastic "out of the box" accuracy. The singular downside is that all Tikka T3s are long action, even those chambering short action rounds.  But the action is hella strong, and the bolts run butter smooth.

Thats a great recommendation, I forgot about the Tikka.  The Tikka T3 Super Varmint looks good, and the 223 version has a 1:8 twist which will still shoot the heavier 223 bullets if you want.

Brad4213 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 14:02
I too had forgoten about the tikkas, i know a couple years back i looked at a few and did like them.
Rancid Coolaid im curious as to why if it were to be used for other purposes other than the range why you would suggest other calibers? Not nit picking or anything just curious as to your thoughts on that.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2012 at 10:19
Originally posted by Brad4213 Brad4213 wrote:

I too had forgoten about the tikkas, i know a couple years back i looked at a few and did like them.
Rancid Coolaid im curious as to why if it were to be used for other purposes other than the range why you would suggest other calibers? Not nit picking or anything just curious as to your thoughts on that.

Other than varminting, I'm not a huge fan of the 223 round, it's not particularly fast or hard-hitting.  For range work, it is great; as a hunter of anything bigger than small game, it is lacking.  That's it.

I have a 223 range gun (Tikka T3 varminter in a Whiskey 3 chassis) that I use for scope testing.  It doesn't go out hunting, but for a range gun, it is a good setup.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Brad4213 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2012 at 20:11
I understand that it isnt a super fast round and not the hardest hitting by any means and im in the bigger is better boat and thats why my first rifle that i bought was a .300 WM, but i have had a friend on more than one occasion be either very lucky or had all the planets allign and take multiple mule deer with the .223. Now i would never dream of using a .223 on a deer but i was suprised that it was able to take them. I know that gets into ballistics and everything else that i dont understand but still surprised none the less. I just want a good range gun and possibly varmint/plinker that is cheap to operate which is why i was thinking of the .223. I guess i want a skill builder, use it to teach myself good habits to incorperate into my .300 while hunting. get over some of the flinching and movement that i often see myself doing.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2012 at 21:50
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-xcr-tactical-long-range.aspx   This is stainless rifle with a TriNyte® Corrosion Control System finish covering the stainless (and priced accordinglyShocked). I looked at it for a year before my boys covinced my wife it would make a good Christmas Present for me, boy was I shocked.
I have the 20 in version of the XCR Tactical Long Range   Probably overly generous to name anything with a 1 in 9 twist "Long Range" but what the heck its a fun rifle and has a few custom items on it. Surgeon Bottom Metal which uses .223 Accuracy International mags and a Smith Vortex flash suppresson and a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x red post in LaRue quick detach rings.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/16/2012 at 21:59

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Ratface View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 05:39
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-xcr-tactical-long-range.aspx   This is stainless rifle with a TriNyte® Corrosion Control System finish covering the stainless (and priced accordinglyShocked). I looked at it for a year before my boys covinced my wife it would make a good Christmas Present for me, boy was I shocked.
I have the 20 in version of the XCR Tactical Long Range   Probably overly generous to name anything with a 1 in 9 twist "Long Range" but what the heck its a fun rifle and has a few custom items on it. Surgeon Bottom Metal which uses .223 Accuracy International mags and a Smith Vortex flash suppresson and a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x red post in LaRue quick detach rings.

Hi Urimaginaryfrnd,

I have been planning on buying the R700 XCR model with a 26" 1:12" barrel on it. How has the accuracy been on yours with the 20" barrel? I plan on mounting a US Optics 10x on it snuggled in Badger Ordnance rings and mount. I plan on using it from 50-200 yards hunting and further out to 1000 yards for steel. Would buying a mount with 20-MOA cant be advisable, given the 26" and 30mm tube on the USO?      
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic