OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Variable Mil-Dots on a budget....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taylorsf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Variable Mil-Dots on a budget....
    Posted: February/25/2006 at 11:33

I am building a "budget" heavy hunter/light hunter out of either a Savage 110FP or Remington SPS in 300 Win Mag.  I am not a professionally trained sniper.  I am a life long hunter and over 20 years of military service with some cross training but no sniper schools. The rifle I am making is for hunting (my 30.06 has never failed me, but I just "want" a 300 win mag) The long range sniping I will be doing will be limited to fun at the range (other than if some Red Dawn or Mad Max SHTH or TEOTWAWKI scenario occurs)

I have narrowed it down to those two rifles for various reasons.

It will have a rapidly removable bipod on the front,

and I am picking optics,

and here is where I am having a hard time.  I need to put rifle, bipod, mount/rings, flip ups, and scope together for 750$.  under 500$ would be better but so far no buddies have been hit with a surprise divorce or child support burden and are not selling used cheap.

In the past, I have struck out big time with trying to get bargain optics.  There are a ton of cheap variable "illuminated sniper reticle" scopes out there, which might be fun to screw around with on my sks, but I fear a repeat of past mistakes.

To my credit (shame)

I have racked up a:

4x SKS top receiver mount that moves enough between shots to not hold a zero, (sure you have seen these- the movement is not the rings, it is the acutaly receiver top unit) 

3x9 rubber armored BEC INC Eurolux 3X9 that will not move the reticle via the windage and elevation knobs when trying to zero, and when sent back under warranty received it back with instructions on how to zero.

two simmons model 51105 red dot scopes for "Shotgun, Rifle, and Handguns" that turn off when firing while mounted to a CAR15 (at least they work on my kid's .22s)

and an NC Star AR15 4x22WA carry handle mount for an AR15 that has a "wobbly" post for the hole in the carry handle, kind of hard to zero and keep a zero when it does not mount solid.

In contrast, a 30plus year old banner 2.5 is still working fine on my .225 winchester, and a 40 year old bushnell 3x9 is still working fine on my pre 64 model 70 winchester 30.06. 

anyways,

now that I have 'fessed up to my shame and experience when working alone, I would appreciate info and opinions regarding the following-

Tasco 6-24x42 Target / Varmint Riflescope - mildot for about 80$

Swift 4.5-14x44 Premium Rifle Scope mil dot for about 200$

Nikon 4.5-14x40 Buckmaster Riflescope mil dot for about 300$

Bushnell 5-15x40 Legend Rifle Scope mil dot for about 200$

New Barska 3-12x40 Tactical Rifle Scope for about 150$

To be honest, I think 200$ is the max I would spend, and rules out the nikkon, plus I still need rings and flip ups.

If the tasco is as good as the swift or bushnell, that would be awesome.  but I want real opinions.

also, the Barska has side focus, and stable plane mildots, the size is the same at all power. these are awesome features at that price, and if it is a decent scope (decent, does not have to be awesome) I really like the features.  But, if it is total crap like

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 14:42

Welcome to The OT!!

Well, the pick of the litter in the bunch you named would be the Nikon BM.

None of the other scopes are real good choices for the long haul.

I know you don't want to pay over $200, but I really would ask you to reconsider that position.

Basically, according to your own post, you went cheap in the past and lived to regret it.

True?

I would also include the Super Sniper from SWFA for $299 for rear focus, or $399 for a side focus. 

Save up your money and buy right the first time. You really can't cheat on optics.

Your trying to buy caviar for the price of fish bait.

That dog won't hunt......

All the best, cheaptrick.   

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
fmsniper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmsniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 16:35

agree, but since yuo want a varitable scope and sounds like you will not be doing a extream amount of long range, for your price look at one of the Mueller line of scopes, they are not bad, but better than you r list.

http://www.muelleroptics.com/

U.S. Army (B4)
DA Sniper School class of 93
5th SFG(SOTIC)Sniper School
class of 93
3/187th Rakkasan
1/506th Curhee
Currently Active Military Fort Irwin
Charlie70 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 18:28
I just picked up a Weaver 3-9 x40 Tactical for $279.46 (that includes shipping)from a competitor. I can't post a link due to this, but give me your email and I will shoot it to you.
taylorsf View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taylorsf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2006 at 20:49

thanks for the info guys,

yep, caviar for fish bait!!

actually,

I am trying to hit that "sweet spot" of price/quality,

sort of like a seiko dive watch is great at a fraction the price of a rolex seadweller,

or a toyota camry is a heck of a reliable and nice sedan at far less than BMW or Mercedes.

I just spent a couple of hours at the range today with crappy scopes, and lets just say things with names like bec, nc star, leapers, etc. you typically find at bargain prices on competitor sales, sportmans guide,and cheaper than dirt COST MORE than a good scope once you figure in wasted ammo to zero, wasted ammo to rezero it wont hold, wasted ammo as the BDC is not any near correct, wasted time with all of the above, and wasted shots because even though the mounts are integral to some scope models, the freaken reticle is canted!! HTF do you make a scope tube with built on mount, and then install the reticle canted, there is no darn way to correct it!! then time wasted on reloads you wasted, and brass life wasted wasting your reloads in the rifle with the above type of scopes.

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2006 at 08:39

PLEASE,

don't use Toyota in the same sentance as Mercedes-Benz. My boss might read this post. (Guten Tag, Herr Rolhm) 

Go with the Super Sniper, it sounds like you shoot more paper than deer, and yes having the ability to go low power is nice, but your probably a 90% to 95% paper shooter, like most of us here are. FM your not the norm being Actdu. I think dale, hunts for a living, the rest of us just injoy the various disciplines of the sport. 

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
taylorsf View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taylorsf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2006 at 07:51

ok, sorry, not comparing toyota to Mercedes - Benz,

just saying a reliable, decent automobile is available for much less,

and as things get better and better,

you get past the point of diminishing returns.

i.e.-

a 100$ scope probably is twice as good as a 50$ scope

but a 300$ scope is twice as good as a 100$ scope

then a 1200$ scope is twice as good as a 300$

etc.

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2006 at 12:07

LOL,     

Your good,

I drive a FORD.            OK, so I might not be a company man. I know the need to keep hold of the green stuff too.  Just becaue you can afford something doesn't always mean you can't do it for less. I'd still go with SS. Most of my shooting is on targets, even with close to 4 months to hunt whitetail ( 1buck, 1Doe a day ), rarely do I use a rifle to do it.   

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2006 at 17:08

Most of the guys here at OT are pretty much the same way you are.

We have used up a ton of bandwidth here covering the "diminished returns of optics buying."

Believe me. 

All I meant by my post is for a "little bit more" than your budget, you can have a real decent scope and not have to worry about all the crap.

You picked a bad scope to try to go cheap on to boot.

Anything that remotely looks or acts tactical now days is considered to be more expensive.

Target knobs, mil dots, ect. all cost more. Check out the Super Sniper 10x42mm.

I think (know) you will be glad you did.

Best wishes,

cheaptrick

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
taylorsf View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taylorsf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 13:56

Ok,

I have been trying to get over not needing a variable scope.  I am looking at the SS 10X with side AO.

To make up my mind regarding fixed power, I am TEMPORARILY going to mount a 40$ 10x44 target sports scope. Maybe it will convince me fixed power is the way to go, or just give me another gripe in my littany of cheap scope experiences.  At worst it will give me something to put on my son's 10/22 to learn about MD and RE with.

Thanks again for the info.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2006 at 19:02

I have a suggestion:  Leupold Tactical Mark4 PR 3-9X40 duplex has fine target knobs and is priced at $399.

I bought one to put on my musket for hunting so I could dial in the correction for elevation then played musical scopes and it wound up on a .223 Savage 10FP

Model 10FP-LE2A Law Enforcement Series < id= name=>Savage Product Code ListFind a DealerDownload a Catalog

I previously had a fixed 20X Super Sniper on that gun but moved the SS to a Rem 700 Police .308

Anyway the .223 Savage with the 3-9 PR is dead on at 200yds sub moa. While I know the Remmington has potential it still doesn't produce tight enough groups for me.  Buy the Savage. Buy the 3-9 PR

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
D-Weezy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-Weezy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2006 at 22:24

I used my Savage 110 fp to shoot these groups. I have a SS10x42 scope mounted on it. I know that these are not the tightest groups, but they are not bad for part of the first 36 rounds fired through this NEW rifle. This rifle is a far cry from being broken in. My point is that the targets were fired at from 25yds and 100yds. I don't see why you really would want to go with a cheaper variable. The SS10x42 will work from 25yds on out. If you really want a variable, save your money and get a better quality one. Just think how well this scope would work on a rifle that is broken in and shooting higher quality, or reloaded ammo. Just my lame opinion.

D-Weezy

http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/9198/03092006110218pm4yr. jpg

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/4535/03092006110320pm6gu. jpg

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2006 at 18:16
I really like the 10X Super Sniper idea I can see one in my near future. My 20X SS has been a tough reliable scope.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic