OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

best $300 bino

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best $300 bino
    Posted: April/09/2012 at 18:33
I have a friend on a very tight budget, he saved $300 for a set of binos, just found out his wife is fixing to have the third child, but he and his decided the three-hundred can still go for some optics.  But this will be his only pair for quite a while.

I was thinking Nikon Monarch ATB 8x 42    I think that would be a good all around deal.

Yea, nae and suggestions.  But $300 is the absolute limit, and a quick decision before his wife changes his mind!
"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2012 at 20:42
I'm kinda of in the same range. It seems that the Zen Ray's get a lotta love around here. Seem to be a good bang for the buck, especially the 7x36's,  they must be talking about the ED2's. The 7's are $374, so too high, but there is a 8x42 option though. This is slightly over budget, but I'll keep thinking.
Zen-Ray 8x43 Zen ED2 Binocular Zen-Ray 8x43 Zen ED2 Binocular
Stock # - ZENED8X43
  • Rubber Armor
  • Roof Prism
  • ED Glass
  • VividBrite Ultra High Reflectivity Dielectric Prism Coating
  • Discontinued closeout price, Normally $399.95
$329.95
Check out my "choices" post. There is a link to Koshkins optics review page. It's definitely worth looking at.

Good luck.
3 Tuns View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3 Tuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 13:37
  In that price range I like the Nikon ATB over the offerings from China.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 14:10
Originally posted by mil169 mil169 wrote:

I'm kinda of in the same range. It seems that the Zen Ray's get a lotta love around here. Seem to be a good bang for the buck, especially the 7x36's,  they must be talking about the ED2's. The 7's are $374, so too high, but there is a 8x42 option though. This is slightly over budget, but I'll keep thinking.
Zen-Ray 8x43 Zen ED2 Binocular Zen-Ray 8x43 Zen ED2 Binocular
Stock # - ZENED8X43
  • Rubber Armor
  • Roof Prism
  • ED Glass
  • VividBrite Ultra High Reflectivity Dielectric Prism Coating
  • Discontinued closeout price, Normally $399.95
$329.95
Check out my "choices" post. There is a link to Koshkins optics review page. It's definitely worth looking at.

Good luck.
These are well worth the extra $29.95 over most anything under the $300 be a fair margin in my opinion.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 14:14
Originally posted by 3 Tuns 3 Tuns wrote:

That is funny.  Where are those ATBs made again?
-Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 14:21
As a former Monarch owner, and current ED2 owner, I can say with confidence that the ED2 is the superior instrument, and not by a little.
-Matt
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 14:24
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

As a former Monarch owner, and current ED2 owner, I can say with confidence that the ED2 is the superior instrument, and not by a little.
Thunbs Up
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
eurolynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 16:08
I think I could donate the $30 plus for him to get these
"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 16:33

Now, that would be a truly friendly gesture. And probably the best $30 anyone has ever spent. I think that I'm going to order the ED2's in the 8x43 later this week.

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 18:53

Thunbs UpThunbs Up
This from another former Monarch owner and current ZEN ED 2 owner.  There is a reason why the Monarch is former and the ZEN ED is current.

Edited by Klamath - April/11/2012 at 10:11
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

3 Tuns View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3 Tuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 10:19

Originally posted by 3 Tuns 3 Tuns wrote:

That is funny.  Where are those ATBs made again?

You are absolutely right, they are made in China.  I can not edit my post.

What I should have typed is:  I like the Nikon ATB for the price.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 10:22
I was just ribbin' ya a little, 3 tuns.

You should be able to edit your posts at 50 posts.
-Matt
Rude Robert View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rude Robert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2012 at 23:08
hi vortex diamond 250 10x 50  i like them more then the nikon, and has a no fault warrenty.  I like them a lot
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2012 at 20:38
Point your friend at these Pentax PCF WPIIs... they're $100 less than the discontinued Monarch ATBs  and a lot better than a Monarch, IMHO.
A lot of the real bino gurus (i'm just some guy) like the Pentax.
http://swfa.com/Pentax-8x40-PCF-WP-II-Binocular-P47959.aspx

Don't get me wrong, you've been given good advice about the extra $30 for the Zen Ray...

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Dr.Pepper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Pepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2012 at 11:01
Just a little side line.....it is about $300 binoculars.
My recent experiences are with 12X50 (I know the OP seems to want 8s, I am just mentioning this due to the $300).

I wanted a 12X50 roof that would match my Bushnell porros optically (think they are FMC Legends). No major feat but I could not afford to go nuts on these and the only goal was to match the image but in a much more portable format.

Just this week, I have handled the Alpen Apex, Kowa SV, and a Weaver Grandslam together.  The Weaver is the  marginal winner for me in terms of optics and build quality. Be warned that the lens covers are crap. Still, the Kowa and Alpen went back.  Another plus is that the Weaver actually has the smallest size, which was the theme responsible for the origin of this quest.  I can't really tell that much difference between these 50s and my various 42s

A Googler can find the Weavers for appreciably less money than the other two, while also being the  winner.  I think the difference is great enough, that they would have been the set kept even if I had to pay the normal price. The Kowas were good enough that I was a bit sad and reluctant to box them up (collectoritis was acting up). They actually have the best eyecups and the best apparent field of view. The Alpen set was hopefully a lemon. They would not focus sharply at all, which dissapointed me because I have read many times that Alpen typically has really good resolution.

Have a good one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic