OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need help with New binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkey Agent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with New binoculars
    Posted: April/08/2012 at 18:55
Looking for the best pair for hunting, low light is priority one. I'm willing to invest to reach this goal .
Thanks for your help.
brettpsu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettpsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2012 at 06:26
Will need alot more info...
Is weight a concern?
How far will you be glassing?
Is an investment for you $500, $1,000 or $2,500?
Will you be using a tripod?

Hordes of good choices out there just need to narrow down your search a little.

Turkey Agent View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkey Agent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2012 at 15:49
Hunting woods, fields mostly 400 yards and under. as far a price range  whatever it takes. I figure 1000 min up to 2500  but this is not a fashion buy stickily performance.
Outrider View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2012 at 21:11
If low light is a priority and weight not a concern, the Meopta Meostar BI 8 X 56 will work well on the low side of your budget. Other "alpha" class, high end binos may provide some small advantages over the Meostar according to many responses to similar questions on this forum, but those small gains tend to be very costly. On the other hand, if the pesos are available, you can't go wrong with an "alpha".
Outrider
brettpsu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettpsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 05:53
I picked up a new pair of Swarovski 10x42 SLC neu's a few months ago for not much over $1,000. That is because they are a discountinued model. Swarovski sets the price minium for dealers, unless the bins are outdated. Once outdated,dealers can discount to whatever they want. Keep an eye out for SLC's, Zeiss victory's, Meopta Meostar(non hd). These are all discountinued models that can be bought for a good price. It took some time searching web pages making phone calls and looking in the classifieds adds but I saw many good buys out there.

As far as power....I prefer my 10's but thats just me. Many guys prefer an 8 at the ranges your talking.
jehu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jehu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 06:42
+1 on the Swarovski 10X42 SLC. They are small enough and light enough for hunting with amazing glass clarity and low light performance.
bird_hunter66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bird_hunter66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 06:50
+1 on the Swarovski SLC.  Also Meopta, Zeiss, Leica would be my other choices.  You really need to get to a store and put these in your hands before you pull the trigger on a new pair.  For me the feel, and view out of the Swarovski's sold me.  Plus they have the best customer service in the business.  Save yourself some time and money and go with one of the four mentioned above.  I went through three other pairs of binoculars before I bought my Swarovski.  Good luck.
D. Holmes
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 12:42
8x 42/43 seems like the sweet spot to me. If you're glassing a lot, then it pays to invest in better bins.
Reaction time is a factor...
Turkey Agent View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkey Agent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2012 at 12:59
Going to give these a try Cabela's Euro HD 10x42
3 Tuns View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3 Tuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2012 at 13:06
  A good friend of mine bought the Cabelas Euro HD, and he really likes them.  He does not have to carry them much as he normally uses them while in a blind, or from the porch of his cabin.  They are a bit heavy, but they are very clear and priced right.
ccd3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccd3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2012 at 14:14
I googled swarovski slc 10 x 42 and only found hds for over 2,000
where did you find them for a grand?  Thanks
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2012 at 14:34
Originally posted by Turkey Agent Turkey Agent wrote:

Looking for the best pair for hunting, low light is priority one. 

A 6mm exit pupil is excellent for low light.

Stan
jehu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jehu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2012 at 06:36
Originally posted by ccd3 ccd3 wrote:

I googled swarovski slc 10 x 42 and only found hds for over 2,000
where did you find them for a grand?  Thanks

Check E-bay, SWFA Sample List, and Gunbroker. Most people who spend the kind of $ for Swarovski optics take very good care of them so don't be afraid to buy used because you can find some really good deals.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic