OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mil/Mil Varmint Scope Choices

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mil/Mil Varmint Scope Choices
    Posted: April/07/2012 at 22:48
As I have gone full mil/mil on the optics front for some time now I have been pondering what to put on my 24 inch varmint rig.  It had a SS 5-20 on it for short time but I didn't like the diamonds so it got sold and the rifle has been topless for a while.  I prefer Hash type reticles and am exploring options.  Due to P-Dog Safari being primary for this rig im looking for SFP options with 20 to 25 on the top end of the mag range.  The problem is all the Mil based reticle options with mil turrents have HUGE reticles that are calibrated for the max magnification.  I know why they do it but my Sightron LRMD has mildots so big you could hide a Honda Accord behind them at 800 yards.  Does anyone make a 5-20 or 6-24 range scope that has a mil based hash reticle (GAP / TMR type ) that is calibrated for somewhere in the 10 to 15x range?  I haven't had much luck finding one ...
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2012 at 13:34
vortex razor, and the PST. leupold Mk4 M5

the razor is pretty bad ass, i was thinking of trading my SS to get a razor
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2012 at 17:54
Originally posted by jjrgr21 jjrgr21 wrote:

vortex razor, and the PST. leupold Mk4 M5

the razor is pretty bad ass, i was thinking of trading my SS to get a razor

Razor is FFP - looking for SFP
PST SFP model is accurate at 24x and a big reticle
Same on the Leupolds ...
-
Any 6-24 SFP models with a 12x reticle?  That would be perfect ... Bushnell used to make one in the 4200 series I think but was mil dot only - looking for a hash type.
-
Vortex PST in SFP is looking the top option but would prefer a 10x or 12x reticle ...

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2012 at 21:55
I am not positive but this might be a possible a lot of the higher power 4200 models would Mil Dot rangefind at 12 X so it would probably be worth calling and asking I cant quite find the info on this and I cant tell from what I am finding if it is FFP or 2FP
http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/eliteTactical/Product/?n=16
BTR-Mil 

6-24x 50mm - IR BTR, Mil

Model: ET6245FJ

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2012 at 21:57
This is 1/4 moa but it is designed for what you are doing:
Leupold 8.5-25x50 VX-3 30mm Riflescope Varmint Hunters Leupold 8.5-25x50 VX-3 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66610
  • Matte
  • Varmint Hunters
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Target Knobs
  • Side Focus
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$1,049.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2012 at 22:06
http://www.usoptics.com/optics/st-22.html   U.S. Optics   ST22 can be had in mil with a Mil Scale MPR reticle but its a fixed 22x  and you might be able to get it with the GAP reticle call and ask them.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2012 at 09:04
the leupold isn't that big nor is the PST. i have both, and giggin groundhogs at 700+
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2012 at 15:16
not a fan of the leupold varmint and/or boone and crockett reticles. I called Bushnell and got the transfer run around and never talked to anyone that had a clue. I sent a few emails to the "tech" guys ... will see where that leads. As off right now the SFP PST mil/mil is still the front runner.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2012 at 20:02
My wife gave me a Hensoldt ZF6-24x72.  Though not "hash-based", has none of the problems you describe, is "calibrated" at 12x and works fine using math on other magmifications.  They make a 6-24x56 that is pretty nice, too.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2012 at 23:16
i like my pst pretty good
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 13:32
Initial thoughts on the PST ...

Illum System is spot on and works very well in low light
Glass starts to get cloudy at 18-20x and at 24x is pretty noticable
Turrents are firm and tactile
Reticle is just what I was looking for

Gonna put it through some tracking test next week and see how the zero stop shim system holds up.
topbrass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topbrass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 14:32
^
^
^

What he said.

I like my PST FFP MIL 6-24x.  Good scope for the money.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic