OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Reticle Levelling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reticle Levelling
    Posted: February/25/2006 at 08:04
I wanted to see what others use to level your scope reticles when mounting your scope. I have started using 2 line levels with flat sides and lay one across the top of the action and one on the top scope cap. I have seen a reticle leveller that seems to attach with rubber bands in front of the objective lense. You then align the cross hairs with the "picture". This method looks a little easier if it indeed works. Any feedback is appreciated.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 08:09

Your method is mine too.

The line levels have worked for me for a while now.  

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 10:08
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 10:26
Brownells offer a "clamp-on"  bubble level now if your interested. This has the advantage of field use and remains on the gun.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 11:56
Wheeler Engineering Level-Level-Level Scope Crosshair Leveling Tool

The simplest, most accurate scope leveling system ever devised to level your scope as you mount it on your rifle. The magnetic base in the rifle level bridges the bolt raceway, allowing you to position your rifle almost perfectly level. Then level the scope, tighten the rings and the job is done. Works with practically any bolt-action rifle. Set includes two levels.

Notes:

• Contains level for rifle receiver and level for top of scope
  • Allows scope to be leveled to the rifle's receiver rather than the top of the scope base
  • Magnetic base in rifle level bridges the bolt raceway, allowing positioning of rifle level
  • Second level sits on top of scope cap, so that crosshairs can be leveled
  • Works with most bolt action rifles and can be adapted to other rifle types
  • We started using their reticle level system last year and it works very well.  Wheeler makes some really nice stuff, their gun smithing screw driver set is tops.  They even have special bits for Ruger, Weaver, Leupold rings etc.

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/

Edited by Chris
    TAZ123 View Drop Down
    Optics GrassHopper
    Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAZ123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 23:48
    The little doohickie with horizontal lines that attaches to your rofle with the rubber bands is OK. It does not really require a level rifle although it does have a level built
    into it so you can level the rifle. It works bets if you have extra slots left on your base. You essentially end up leveling the reticle relative to the rifle. You can also hang
    a bob line at a decent distance from the rifle. Level rifle and look through the scope and use the line as a vertical reference and line up the reticle.
    TEAM SWFA - Admin
    TEAM SWFA - Admin
    swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2006 at 17:17
    We mount and boresight a lot of rifles here for walk-ins and its funny how many people think the crosshairs are crooked because they hold the gun crooked.  They understand once we tell them that everyone holds it different.  But some want us to put them a little crooked so they look straight for the way they hold it, most of our customers only care if the gun shoot "deer moa".  But the funniest thing (and it happens all the time) is when they think we set them crooked and they hold the gun straight.......they ask if we will loosen the screws so they can set it straight.  They always find something in the room or outside that has a horizontal line and hold the rifle to their shoulder and turn the scope until the crosshair lines up with the object.  15 years ago I would try and tell them that is not going to work but after being in face to face retail since I was old enough to properly make change for cash sales, I just let them do what they want to do.
    Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
    Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 21:56
    Chris - once again you have outdone yourself. Thats a slick gadget. I've been mounting them with the rifles balanced on the powder thrower looking at file cabinets across the room - every now and then I get one straight. This might be a toy I have to get. didn't see you post for a couple of weeks - figured you were out hunting - everything going OK?

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
    Bobby Paul Doherty
    Texas Ranger
    TEAM SWFA - Admin
    TEAM SWFA - Admin
    swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2006 at 13:22

I've only been hunting once this year.....so far.  Been super busy working on the 2006 catalog.  I just bought a lap top so I can keep up with The O.T., its really taken off.

Sonora, Mexico 1/1/06

macky View Drop Down
    Optics Apprentice
    Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2006 at 05:40
    Hey guys .... I picked up one of the Wheeler Leveling Devices.  And to be honest I had some problems with it.  The whole concept of having the two levels, and being able to "zero" the bubbles to match each other working just fine.  The problem I ran into was that the top "surface" of the receiver ejection port, that the receiver level "stuck" to, wasn't "perpendicular" with the "vertical alignment" of the receiver.  The end result was that the two level bubbles were perfectly in-line but the reticle ended up canted off slightly to the "vertical alignment"  of the receiver.  Now this was a Sporterized 1903 Springfield, and maybe the top surface of the ejection port is "supposed to" always be perpendicular to the "vertical axis", but mine wasn't.  And it seems to me that this "vertical alignment" would be critical to using the wheeler system.  I ended up stepping back from the stock end of the rifle and visually ensuring that the receiver was "vertical" in my gun vise, and then I rotated the scope until it was aligned.  End result was SUCCESS.
    catusbill View Drop Down
    Optics Apprentice
    Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catusbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2006 at 08:17
    Chris - Mulley MAN.... Very nice.
    TAZ123 View Drop Down
    Optics GrassHopper
    Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAZ123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2006 at 00:39
    One method I have used aside from the Segway device is to use a level on my base to level the rifle and them a second level on the elevatin
    turret. Another that I learned today is to use feeler gauges under the erector housing. Most scopes have a flat base at the erector housing.
    Place your scope and put a stack of feelers under the erector housing. The base is flat as is the erector housng bottom. Feelers can be
    removed as you tighten the ring cap screws if needed. Essentially you end up leveling the scope relative to the base. Have not used this
    method but will try tomorrow as I have a scope to mount. Bothmethods assume uncanted reticles. the feeler gauge method does require a one
    piece base.
     Post Reply Post Reply
      Share Topic