OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Illuminated Scope or Not for Ultimate Deer scope?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Illuminated Scope or Not for Ultimate Deer scope?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308WIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2014 at 07:50
Black hogs at Night (anything at night) or in planted pines (dense canopy makes it dark earlier) at dark 30

Yeah it helps
It has to be dim though to not wash out your night vision

Flashdot is perfect

Edited by 308WIN - December/20/2014 at 08:12
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2014 at 10:47
I have gone back and forth on this and tried a LOT of optics out in the field hunting.
For deer, it is not a hard requirement in my opinion (at least not Texas whitetails)

If I have good glass and a bolt reticle I could take a clean shot well past legal shooting time.

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2014 at 16:42
The Trijicon is hard to beat if you want illumination without hassle. I have the 3-9 with green post on my AR and it is the perfect scope for my use. If I were looking at an illuminated scope with battery power it would be the Kahles KXi as the 4A reticle works well durring legal shooting hours should the battery fail. I have a non illuminated 3.5-10x50 Kahles with 4A on one of my rifles and it is excellent to and beyond the 30 Minute mark. If you are willing to forgo the illumination look at the 3-9x42 MeoPro with #4 reticle. Glass is plenty good for any legal shooting hours for deer and that is a heavy dark reticle that is highly visible in low light. While it may not say Swarovski on it, its a damn good scope that gives the Z3 a run for its money and has a better #4 reticle.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic