OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Minox German BL 8x42s?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidreilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minox German BL 8x42s?
    Posted: April/07/2012 at 13:26
  I'm new to the group and was glad to find this forum as I've been looking at new bino's for a bit and it's really hard to find any objective information on different brands / models. Mainly one finds advertising double talk and sales pitches thinly disguised as reviews. Anyway, to the point, I've been considering among others the Minox made in Germany BL 8x42s and Meopta Meostars 8x42. I've seen some reports here on the Meostar but nothing on the Minox. Does anyone have any first hand experience comparing the two? I will mainly use these for hunting so I put a premium on the ability to count antler points in fading light. The only birds I'm interested in I eat. Thanks for your thoughts.
jakedeaver View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakedeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2012 at 08:07
I am curious as well.
sidreilley View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidreilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 11:06
Well, I tried them for about a week against the bino's that I had and decided that they didn't offer much advantage so I returned them. I liked the ergonomics and compact size (I'm used to poros) and they were sharp but after re-thinking my needs and looking at some more test info, I ordered a pair of Docter 8x56s so we'll see what they look like. 
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 16:14
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakedeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 11:32
What did you not like about the Minox BLs?  What are your intended uses that the Docters fit better?

I have a pair of Leupold GR 8x32, which I really like.  But I wouldn't mind adding another bino in the 8-10x range with a larger exit pupil.  I am considering:

Minox German BL 10x42
Vortex Viper 8.5x50 or 10.5x50
Zeiss Conquest 10x40 ABK

Thanks, Jake
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 14:17
Originally posted by jakedeaver jakedeaver wrote:

What did you not like about the Minox BLs?  What are your intended uses that the Docters fit better?

I have a pair of Leupold GR 8x32, which I really like.  But I wouldn't mind adding another bino in the 8-10x range with a larger exit pupil.  I am considering:

Minox German BL 10x42
Vortex Viper 8.5x50 or 10.5x50
Zeiss Conquest 10x40 ABK

Thanks, Jake
The Conquest does not have a larger exit pupil than your GRs.

What are your uses and budget, Jake?
-Matt
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakedeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 14:24
Yeah, I know that the Conquest ABK would not have a larger exit pupil than my Leupold GR, but it would provide more magnification.  Plus, I thought that the larger ABK prism might transmit more light?

I am looking for a general purpose hunting bino, mainly Midwest whitetail hunting from a treestand.

Thanks, Jake
dan2nd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan2nd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 16:13

For what its worth....

The Minox BVii BRW 8x42 and 10x42 are impressive.  I looked through the 8x42 and found the fit and finish great and the image provided was impressive as well.  I am tempted to purchase a pair.

Here is a review for the 10x42...There are very few reviews of this model for some reason.

Both versions can be found online for less than $250.  

I once owned a pair of 8x32 BR BD Aspheric.  They were very impressive.  The fit and finish was amazing and the focus wheel was the best I have ever encountered.  Yet the eye relief was the reason I parted with them since I wear glasses.  Not quite enough.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 16:21
Jake,

Your best bets at under $500 are going to be a high end Chinese 8X42 like the Zen Ray ED2/3s.

If you are going over $500, the Meopta Meostar is the best of the next level, IMO.  Dave44 has a set of 8X42 Meostars in the Optics for Sale section at a very nice price.  I think you would be more than pleased with them for your uses.
-Matt
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakedeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 22:13
Thanks BB.
Seamaster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seamaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2012 at 00:33

Tried both in 10x. Meostars is brighter, and much larger image field. But it is unpleasantly heavy. The weakest link are the eye cups, shallow, which allow light enter from side cause glare. Their glass is very nice. The other area of design i slet down to me.  German BL are nice but only at discount price, not full price. I would have 2nd look at Vortex Viper HD.

Bushnell 4200 Elite Tactical 3-12x44 Mildot illuminated
Bushnell 4200 1.25-4x24 4A illuminated
Minox ZA5 2-10x40 (sold)
Conquest 3-9x40 with Factory Target Turret
bro.steve View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bro.steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2012 at 19:58
If you are counting points in fading light, you not only need a good sized exit pupil, you might even need a boost in magnification, IMHO  I don't think a 4mm exit pupil is going to cut it as well as 6 or 7.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic