OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mosin Nagant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mosin Nagant
    Posted: April/04/2012 at 13:41
It's cheap, in very good condition, ammo is still cheap and VERY available, fun to shoot... I've enjoyed the heck out of the ones I've shot... HOWEVER, it's another caliber to keep track of, I don't really need it, I haven't been able to shoot much lately ANYWAY, if I can't shoot it, what's the point?

Why would I want one?
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2012 at 13:47
To let me shoot it while your away and to leave me with all the other weapons of mass destruction. Bandito  I'll keep it clean and take very good care of it.

Edited by Bigdaddy0381 - April/04/2012 at 13:55
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2012 at 15:18
Had several friends of mine that bought them for trunk guns. Inexpensive rifles to carry in the trunk of your car or truck just incase you need a gun, but didn't bring your favorite self defense or hunting gun, and if it gets stolen or damaged you haven't lost much.
The rifles, in good condition, are accurate and anvil tough. They are easy to shoot and simple. The carbines (M-44) should be outlawed, because they are so loud, that the .50cal Barrett shooters complain about them.
I don't want one, and wouldn't buy one, but if given one (rifle), I'd shoot the crap out of it. Now the sniper version is a different story if the price was reasonable.Big Smile
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2012 at 22:14
OK, I guess I'll have to get one... BD, you can only have it when I'm gone... it has to be home when I am...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 06:03
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

OK, I guess I'll have to get one... BD, you can only have it when I'm gone... it has to be home when I am...

"will"........ define Gone?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 10:50
I am away from my safe at the moment, but if memory serves me right I have fourteen different Mosin-Nagant rifles.  One is an M38 (a pre-cursor to M44 that does not have a folding bayonet).  It is a pretty competent flamethrower with its counterbored muzzle and shoots about 2MOA with the updated rear sight I put on it (Mojoclick).  

The rest are different versions of Russian M91/30 and Finnish M39 with a couple of M28/76 target rifles thrown into the mix.

These rifles are a blast to shoot, although with all the corrosive surplus ammo out there some minor cleaning care should be exercised (I can tell you what I do if you need ideas).  Only Yugo surplus ammo is known to be non-corrosive.

The short-barreled M38 is very fast handling and with the swept back bolt I've got on it is pretty easy to manipulate.

However, for general shooting the long-barreled versions are more my cup of tea.  If yo ucare about precision, find a Finnish Mosin, although russian ones are pretty good too.

As far as the merits of the rifle go, here are some ideas:

ILya
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 11:13
That link is funny Ilya,  I like it.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 12:47
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I am away from my safe armory at the moment, but if memory serves me right I have fourteen different rows of Mosin-Nagant rifles.  One is an M38 (a pre-cursor to M44 that does not have a folding bayonet).  It is a pretty competent flamethrower with its counterbored muzzle and shoots about 2MOA with the updated rear sight I put on it (Mojoclick).  

The rest are different versions of Russian M91/30 and Finnish M39 with a couple of M28/76 target rifles thrown into the mix.

These rifles are a blast to shoot, although with all the corrosive surplus ammo out there some minor cleaning care should be exercised (I can tell you what I do if you need ideas).  Only Yugo surplus ammo is known to be non-corrosive.

The short-barreled M38 is very fast handling and with the swept back bolt I've got on it is pretty easy to manipulate.

However, for general shooting the long-barreled versions are more my cup of tea.  If yo ucare about precision, find a Finnish Mosin, although russian ones are pretty good too.

ILya

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get one... I don't have an armory...

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 12:51
Yet.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 14:24

I am away from my safe armory at the moment, but if memory serves me right I have fourteen different rows of Mosin-Nagant rifles.  One is an M38 (a pre-cursor to M44 that does not have a folding bayonet).  It is a pretty competent flamethrower with its counterbored muzzle and shoots about 2MOA with the updated rear sight I put on it (Mojoclick).  

ILya

Stop spreading disinformation.  Besides, I am sure the big brother is listening...

ILya
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 14:45
I have picked up a few mosin's at some shows but never left with them, just couldn't see paying show price on them normally $150+
 You find one local or online or what?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 15:37

ILya

Stop spreading disinformation.  Besides, I am sure the big brother is listening...

ILya

OK, EVERYONE who is ANYONE knows I'm just kidding...  ILya has a few nice toys, nothing really fancy, but I'd like to have a few of them.  Unfortunately, not enough to share... I just keep trying to shame him into letting me get one from him.
Even more so now.   I went and looked at the Mosin Nagants... there were a couple of REALLY nice ones, one made by Remington, one made by Westinghouse, both refurbished in Finland (long ago) and had the Finnish stamp...  They were probably really good shooters, but were outside the range of what I wanted to pay for a Mosin... $300.00.  The others ones that were Yugo and Russian, barrels were all shot out and still more than I wanted to pay.  Stocks were in REALLY good shape, none of the actions were in bad shape and all the Remington and Westinghouse ones had had work done on them (probably in the last 30 years)... the American made ones had very nice walnut stocks, bayonets were in good shape, sights were mostly OK, but I did not want a rifle I would have to REALLY work hard to shoot 2MOA or more.  I started to go ahead and get one of the American made ones, but then thought "what am I thinking... that's almost 50 rounds of ammo for the .338 LM..."  

jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 17:26
A friend of mine has one and really enjoys it. Me, I see them at the local stores and try to avoid getting stabbed by the foot-long bayonet. They are interesting though. When I was at a store last week, they advertised them outside for $79 + free ammo. I also think of those Soviet officers in Enemy at the Gates shouting at the conscripts:

"One out of two gets rifle! The one without, follows him! When the one with the rifle gets killed, the one who is following picks up the rifle and shoots!"
Reaction time is a factor...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2012 at 03:37

ILya

ILya

OK, EVERYONE who is ANYONE knows I'm just kidding...  ILya has a few nice toys, nothing really fancy, but I'd like to have a few of them.  Unfortunately, not enough to share... I just keep trying to shame him into letting me get one from him.
Even more so now.   I went and looked at the Mosin Nagants... there were a couple of REALLY nice ones, one made by Remington, one made by Westinghouse, both refurbished in Finland (long ago) and had the Finnish stamp...  They were probably really good shooters, but were outside the range of what I wanted to pay for a Mosin... $300.00.  The others ones that were Yugo and Russian, barrels were all shot out and still more than I wanted to pay.  Stocks were in REALLY good shape, none of the actions were in bad shape and all the Remington and Westinghouse ones had had work done on them (probably in the last 30 years)... the American made ones had very nice walnut stocks, bayonets were in good shape, sights were mostly OK, but I did not want a rifle I would have to REALLY work hard to shoot 2MOA or more.  I started to go ahead and get one of the American made ones, but then thought "what am I thinking... that's almost 50 rounds of ammo for the .338 LM..."  

I know you are kidding.  However, every time another idiot from homeland security statrs talking about their definition of a domestic terrorist I get shivers and recall early footage from Nazi Germany in the thirties.

As far as Mosin's go, I have learned that it is impossible to judge how well they shoot based on barrel condition.  I have seen some that look unfired and that won't shoot, while others look like there hasn't been any rifling there since 1940s, but they shoot great.  That having been said, all of the long-barreled ones I have shoot pretty well.

The Finnish ones you saw are collectible in addition to likely being good shooters. If I were to see any of those here, I would be walking home with one.  However, if all you are looking for is an inexpensive plinking rifle, I would be looking at one of russian 91/30s.  Try to find a pre-war rifle, since those tend to be a little better built.  Not too long ago there was a batch of early 91/30s with hex receivers imported into the country.  They were refurbished after the war, but they tend to be good shooters.  However, any 91/30 made in 1939 or earlier is probably a decent shooter.

Ilya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2012 at 06:54
I've seen several Mosin's at my home range, but I've never shot one. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2012 at 09:53

Try to find a pre-war rifle, since those tend to be a little better built.
That's a good point - for any firearm. I looked at several M1 Garands and when I bought one from the CMP I asked them for a high serial # post-war (in this case, the Korean War) because I'd learned that when Springfield Armory was vying for the M14 contract they put special care into the late-production builds of the M1. And they had the comparative leisure of peacetime production combined with winding down the M1.

I had a Swiss K-31, which was built early in WWII, but then the Swiss really were just all about making money and keeping out of the real fight. It was built as finely as a Swiss watch but eventually I just lost interest in shooting it. I only own rifles I shoot, the exception being Grandpa's old 16-gauge hardware store shotgun.
Reaction time is a factor...
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2012 at 10:58
I used to keep a 7 1/2' x 13" cast iron plate hanging from a swing set frame at my place. It was a 250yd shot from my fireing line.
One day 3 of my friends were shooting at the plate. 2 had Remington 700 varmit rifles with vaiable high power varmit scopes (1 Leupold, and 1 Tasco World Class scopes). The other friend had a Finnish M-39 Moisen Nagant. The friend with the M-39 shot off hand, the other 2 shot off a bench with bipods. The friend with the M-39 embarrassed and shamed the 2 with the Remingtons; he never missed, while the other 2 rarely hit the plate.

Of course alot of it was the guys behind the rifles too, but still.............

Edited by BeltFed - April/06/2012 at 11:22
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2012 at 08:04
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

I used to keep a 7 1/2' x 13" cast iron plate hanging from a swing set frame at my place. It was a 250yd shot from my fireing line.
One day 3 of my friends were shooting at the plate. 2 had Remington 700 varmit rifles with vaiable high power varmit scopes (1 Leupold, and 1 Tasco World Class scopes). The other friend had a Finnish M-39 Moisen Nagant. The friend with the M-39 shot off hand, the other 2 shot off a bench with bipods. The friend with the M-39 embarrassed and shamed the 2 with the Remingtons; he never missed, while the other 2 rarely hit the plate.

Of the run of the mill misurp rifles, the M39s and K31s seem the most accurate, although the Swedish M96 Mausers are up there too.

K31s have the best triggers, which probably helps a lot.  They also have decent sights as do M39s.  Mausers seem to have uniformly horrible sights.

One of the best sights I have yet to see on a milsurp are the sights on the French MAS 36 I bought a while back (once dropped. never fired).

ILya
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2012 at 10:01

Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Of the run of the mill misurp rifles, the M39s and K31s seem the most accurate, although the Swedish M96 Mausers are up there too.

K31s have the best triggers, which probably helps a lot.  They also have decent sights as do M39s.  Mausers seem to have uniformly horrible sights.

One of the best sights I have yet to see on a milsurp are the sights on the French MAS 36 I bought a while back (once dropped. never fired).

ILya
The Swedish M96 Mausers, are one of the best kept secrets. The cartridge is a great long range round with low recoil, and I have seen groups fired on paper that rivaled many factory vamint rifles.
If you know how to read the brass data plate on the side of the stock, it will tell you the condition of the barrel's bore and throat when it left the Swedish inventory.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic