OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Rifle Shooter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jd84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Rifle Shooter
    Posted: February/24/2006 at 13:37

I am a newbie to rifle shooting. I just bought a Tikka T3 Lite and I need a scope to put on it. As of now I am thinking of puting a fixed powered scope on it something either 10x 12x or 16. I would prefer something if they make it with a ballistic plex. I am going to be doing some critter shooting and my typical shot I think will be about 200-350 yards but I would like the capability to reach out if I have to. I am not totally against variable power scopes I just thought a fixed may be easier for aquiring targets. If anyone has any input about a certain scope or fixed vs. variable scopes please let me know. Id be willing to spend what ever my better half will let me but sadly think this is around $400 at the most. Open to most anything.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2006 at 22:47
Well, generally variable scopes offer quite a bit more versatility.  There is a reason why they are more popular.

By critter shooting, do you mean varmints? or big game?

Generally speaking, there are several scope lines that have models in your price range.  Assuming that you plan to hunt big game something along the lines of a 3-9x40, 3-12x42, 3-10x40, etc. would be the way to go.  For right around $400 you can get a Burris Signature Select with BallisticPlex reticle.

Some other scopes to consider: Sightron S2, Weaver Grand Slam, Bushnell Elite 4200, Nikon Monarch.  Can't really go wrong with any of these.

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 07:20

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Some other scopes to consider: Sightron S2, Weaver Grand Slam, Bushnell Elite 4200, Nikon Monarch.  Can't really go wrong with any of these.
ILya

Notice how cleverly koshkin (in Russian means deceiver), puts the best scope, the Nikon Monarch at the very bottom of his list, hoping, praying that you don't really see it and actually want to purchase this fine piece of Japanese optics??

If I were call him out on not recommending it, he would craftly pronounce "I did, I did recommend the Nikon!!"

Like a child caught with his hand in the cookie jar, but only admits to taking off the lid and counting the remaining cookies, for the benefit of the others.

With the cookie crumbs covering his evil smile. See devil smile below.

He's a master of the "black arts."

Though a friendly plug at first, given time, his "recommendations" gravitate the unsuspecting "victim" towards the darker side of the optics world. The forbidden......

The evil axis I call it.

Sightron, Burris, Weaver and the Osama Binladen of optics....IOR. 

Once there, not even my super duper gucci-foo powers can bring them back!!

Friend, run back to the light!!!

We here at OT have lost many a soul to this seducer and his optical slight of hand!!   

Get the Monarch.

You gain a superior optical instrument AND salvage your soul from optics damnation....     Amen.

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 08:08

Cheaptrick  Great YODA of optics.  Once again you have saved the universe from the dark side.

Get the Nikon Monarch. If you must buy a fixed power buy a 6x and not more than a 10X

6580 Nikon 5.5-16.5x44 Monarch UCC Riflescope Nikon 5.5-16.5x44 Monarch UCC Riflescope
  • Gloss
  • Nikoplex
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
SWFA: $399.95

6508 Nikon 6x42 Monarch UCC Riflescope Nikon 6x42 Monarch UCC Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Nikoplex
  • 1"
SWFA: $259.95

LEU58590 Leupold 6x42 FX-III Riflescope Leupold 6x42 FX-III Riflescope
  • Gloss
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Index Matched Lens System
SWFA: $379.95
More Info... Buy Now

LEU58640 New Leupold 6x42 FX-III Competition Hunter Riflescope New Leupold 6x42 FX-III Competition Hunter Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Fine Cross Hair
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Index Matched Lens System
SWFA: $469.95
Super Sniper  10X  (click me)
SS10X42M SS10X42

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 13:05
I see that there is no more reason to even attempt to appease the Grand Ayatollah of Nikon Optics, who, in strict accordance with his login name, is trying to cheaptrick you with promise of superior optics and perhaps 72 virgins (could have been 72 virgin scopes, I could never quite figure out).

As always he will try to lure you into beleiving that there is no true scope out there, but Nikon, while omitting the scarceness of available reticles, and the limitations of a 3x erector assembly.

That's it.  From now on, the Monarch is off the list, unless I know for a fact that cheaptrick is not present to pollute the information superhighway with his Nikon orthdoxy.  At that point I will be able to safely go back to recommending Nikon scopes along with the holy trio of sport optics: Sightron, Burris and IOR (not sure how Elite 4200 fits in there; an understudy perhaps?).

Range compensating reticles are nowhere to be seen in the Nikon Monarch line-up.  Aside from that they fo have good glass, but there are complaints about eye relief being quite critical.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 13:33

Ah yes,

I knew my nemesis could not resist my challenge... 

Now that I've lured him from the dark abyss of optics blasphemy where he dwells, I will pronounce swift and lethal judgment on him!!

Notice yet again how koshkin trys in vain to confuse the masses with his catch phrases like "eye relief" and the lack of "range compensating reticles".   

Typical tactics used to de-focus on the REAL issues.

I curse thee O' betrayer of optics grasshoppers in the mighty name of Nikon USA!!!

My high octane Nikon Gucci-Foo is much to powerful for you to simply dismiss!!

Remember Grasshoppers, Monarch is another term for "King". Numero Uno.

No phoney baloney names like "SII" or "Signature Series" or those other names from those evil black scopes.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 14:07
>>Remember Grasshoppers, Monarch is another term for "King". Numero Uno.

What good is royalty, if it is self-prolaimed?

ILya
"Retreating back to the dark abyss of optics blasphemy" aka the perfect place to evaluate low light capabilities of riflescopes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 14:18

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

"Retreating back to the dark abyss of optics blasphemy" aka the perfect place to evaluate low light capabilities of riflescopes.

Good one!!!

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 14:45

BACK BACK BACK OH EVIL SIGHTRON SELLER

Someone hold the beast at bay with the TR22R  tritium triangle

jd84 balistic plex is a Burris term if you want a fixed 10x turn from the dark side and buy the Super Sniper SS10X42M   

Or the light gathering 

6508 Nikon 6x42 Monarch UCC Riflescope Nikon 6x42 Monarch UCC Riflescope
  If you could spend more I'd say Leupold VX III but in the under $400 and a fixed SS10X42M you canuse the mildots for hold over points or do the right thing and dial in the correction.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 15:33
Just for the record, I do not sell scopes, Sightron or otherwise.

I have no commercial interest in any of the riflescope makers or retailers.  I do tend to suggest that people buy from SWFA for a simple reason that they've consistently given the best prices when asked.

ILya
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 18:51
jd84 did you get anything out of that shakespeare stuff? Look at the Weaver T10 and Leo fixed 12x.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2006 at 12:31

Dale, you gotta admit, that was very funny banter with some info thrown into the mix. Keep it up guys.

Soon Leno will be calling, OK, maybe not but it was funny.

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2006 at 13:55

Koshkin   - O Dark Lord of Optics - please point out to us the link to Sightron on SWFA .

Cheaptrick - Noble Yoda of Optics - We stand at the illuminated mildot reticle and salute you

I did out of curiosity request the Sightron catelogue to see exactly what it is that you seem to like so well. I'm sure that if they are on a par with the other optics sold here that SWFA will consider carrying them  or special ordering them if there is a market (it's up to you readers to let them know). From what I can see SWFA has an awesome supply of scopes in many configurations. And Koshkin we do value your informed opinion even when we do not agree. 

And we are all thankful that they are graceous enough to allow us to express personal opinion here.      

Koshkin : I have no doubt that you are correct that the IOR scopes are excellent.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2006 at 14:00

What do you think of this fixed 6x

IOR6X42T30 IOR 6x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope IOR 6x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
  • MP-8
  • 30mm
  • Free 2.5" Sun Shade w/ Purchase
SWFA: $449.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
prodgi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prodgi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2006 at 17:20
WELL, AS A NEWBI TO THIS FORUM I'M KINDA SCARED!!!!!!
NC-amature View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NC-amature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2006 at 08:41
Sounds more like the crew found the capitan's wiskey keg over the weekend.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2006 at 15:48

Originally posted by NC-amature NC-amature wrote:

Sounds more like the crew found the capitan's wiskey keg over the weekend.

"A Nikon...A Nikon...My kingdom for a Nikon!!!" 

Sorry, but I couldn't help but to revert to Shakespeare.....(hick)  

prodgi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prodgi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2006 at 17:35
what's a Shakespeare and do they sell them swfa?
NC-amature View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NC-amature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2006 at 08:59

I haven't seen any Shakespeare offered at swfa.

But they have them at WallyWorld. . .look for 'Ugly Stick'

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2006 at 21:02

I found the Ugly Stick today---- I mean the Sightron.  I went to Sportrsmans Warehouse and had to ask at the scope counter where they have hundreds of models in the case. The salesman says: Yes we do carry Sightron we have a couple of them back here behind the counter.  (as in these are on a rack on a shelf back by the wall of rings and bases and all other scopes are in the glass display case).  I was able to look at a 3-9 and a 4.5-14 both of which were ok but neither of which could I read the print on small display cards about 60 yds away. I compared to 4200 Bushnell which had better glass and Nikon Monarch which seemed to have much better glass than the other two.

All Hail Cheaptrick -Great Yoda of Optics - Once again the Budweiser of Optics has been used to bring light into the dark abiss. Somebody throw me another Budweiser   .  I also looked longingly at the 1.5-6 Monarch Gold.  My 375 H&H Browning A Bolt would be very happy with one of these on top of it.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic