OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

best scale to buy.............

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ba_50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2012 at 09:53
For 1000 yard loads the gempro 250 for about $150 would be a good choice.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2012 at 15:29
Guys, before you run out an buy a Mettler XS204DR. Read Denton Bramwells article on Standard Deviation. After reading that my whole anal retentitive reloading has changed for the better.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2012 at 15:30
I'm in the same place as beltfed,have the lyman & sorry I didn't pick up the RCBS.I realy hate having to wait 20 mins for the thing to warm up!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2012 at 15:49
I keep mine plugged in to a surge protector and on all the time. There are exceptions of course.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2012 at 15:53
I've used mine immediatelyu after power on and compared it to my battery powered digital.  Unless your in a cold (below 50F) environment you really don't need to wait...
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2012 at 21:35
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

I've used mine immediatelyu after power on and compared it to my battery powered digital.  Unless your in a cold (below 50F) environment you really don't need to wait...
same here
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 02:46

RCBS 1500 combo here and wouldn't part with it.  If it broke down I would immediately order a new one to use while sending the old one to RCBS for service.  Had if for 4 or 5 years and not even the first hiccup.  Keep it plugged into a surge strip but turned off.  Flourescent bulb less than 2 feet away, no effect.  No static problems at all.  Bench vibrations will cause an error but it is easily seen when the machine displays final weight 5 seconds after beeping.

It came with 2 ea 50 gr calibration weights.  When you think about it everytime you lift the pan the display will read -155.0 gr so it is a constant calibration.

Made the powder dropping way more fun and more accurate IMO. 

Have read a lot of these threads and IMO the RCBS gets the least posts about problems.

Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 06:01
I just fill my case's up with powder until it runith over. I have not found a round yet retumbo is to hot in with a full case. If I can hit a 4x8 sheet of ply wood at 50 yards i'm Goooooddd..

above was total B.S.

Now, I turn my CM on and check weight and let it roll. Never missed a beat yet.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 06:26
horse shoes, hand grenades and now ammo..... Angel
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2012 at 06:58
BigD you are the man Roll on Floor Laughing
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2012 at 07:09

Still using my 9v battery powered PACT.  I use to double check it against my 505 but no more.

If I went with one that had the powder measure it would definitely be the RCBS.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2012 at 12:26
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Wow, can you imagine that time it would take to drill each piece of powder.  Whacko  Reloading takes to long the way it is now.  

Yeah it would be right up there with turning each of your bullets.... Whistling
That in itself takes about 10 minutes apiece............

I use a RCBS Chargemaster as well. Never had a problem, but I have a circut for it, separate from the lights.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2012 at 12:36
I too have and love the RCBS Chargemaster Combo. Best money I ever spent....North of Juarez. Wink
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2012 at 13:46
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

RCBS 1500 combo here and wouldn't part with it.  If it broke down I would immediately order a new one to use while sending the old one to RCBS for service.  Had if for 4 or 5 years and not even the first hiccup.  Keep it plugged into a surge strip but turned off.  Flourescent bulb less than 2 feet away, no effect.  No static problems at all.  Bench vibrations will cause an error but it is easily seen when the machine displays final weight 5 seconds after beeping.

It came with 2 ea 50 gr calibration weights.  When you think about it everytime you lift the pan the display will read -155.0 gr so it is a constant calibration.

Made the powder dropping way more fun and more accurate IMO. 

Have read a lot of these threads and IMO the RCBS gets the least posts about problems.

I feel the same about mine could not reload with out it.
Regards Chris
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2012 at 15:03
Originally posted by bobaldoo bobaldoo wrote:

i use a lee scale and have no problems with it, but in my old age it is very hard to see where the 1/10 grains are..was wondering which scale you all think is the best,was told the electronic scales were unreliable..looking at the rcbs 5-0-5 scales...any help would be greatly appreciated.............thanks..........

Get yourself a good digital scale (Pact, RCBS etc) , throw away those old beam scales and stop reading stupid BS on the net.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2012 at 16:19
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Originally posted by bobaldoo bobaldoo wrote:

i use a lee scale and have no problems with it, but in my old age it is very hard to see where the 1/10 grains are..was wondering which scale you all think is the best,was told the electronic scales were unreliable..looking at the rcbs 5-0-5 scales...any help would be greatly appreciated.............thanks..........

Get yourself a good digital scale (Pact, RCBS etc) , throw away those old beam scales and stop reading stupid BS on the net.

Well said Roy
Regards Chris
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2012 at 13:37
I have an RCBS 5-10 scale that's over 30 yrs. old and it works well. Any balance scale made for reloading should be fine.
 I got one of those pocket digital scales on sale for ultra- low bucks and it's as handy as sliced bread, but isn't 1/10th grain accurate.  It sure helps to get a powder measure set to ball park weight quickly and I keep finding uses for it.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2012 at 14:06
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

I have an RCBS 5-10 scale that's over 30 yrs. old and it works well. Any balance scale made for reloading should be fine.
 I got one of those pocket digital scales on sale for ultra- low bucks and it's as handy as sliced bread, but isn't 1/10th grain accurate.  It sure helps to get a powder measure set to ball park weight quickly and I keep finding uses for it.

Have you ever noticed that a 1/10th of a grain of powder made a difference in your handloads (06 family or mag rifle cases) ?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2012 at 16:09
I bet a 1/10 of a grain could not make more than 10fps difference.  That is why volume reloading makes so much sense.  Why waste all that time measuring every thing so precisely.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 06:31
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

Have you ever noticed that a 1/10th of a grain of powder made a difference in your handloads (06 family or mag rifle cases) ?
NOTED...most of the small cheaper digital scales aren't accurate to 1/10th grain but some are.  I was luckly enough to do my homework and find one for under $30!  It is repeatable and accurate to about 0.05grain when compared to the mettler at work thats 0.001 gr certified accurate.  It detects and reflects the change in weigh of a single kernel of powder...

now that being said..unless your a hair splitting benchrest expert a +/- 0.1gr wobble is more than accurate enough for most of us hand grenade tossing horseshoe throwing shooters.... Hippie
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic