OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for M&P 300 Whisper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for M&P 300 Whisper
    Posted: April/02/2012 at 18:15
Picked up one of the Smith 300 Whisper/Blackout uppers. Range day with my Bushnell 4200 2.5-10 shows 50 yd groups at about 1/2" for both sub and supersonic. Moving out to 100 got just under 1 1/2" for a 10-shot group with the supersonic 125gr pink tips and right at 2" for 10 shots with the subsonic 208gr Amax. Not great, but functional. Now I need a scope.

Looking for something with a 10ish upper range, no parallax adjustment, and a way to set zero for sub and supersonic. I've given up on the idea of being able to shoot a pig in the ear at 200 yds with the subsonic ammo; the consistency just doesn't seem to be there. If this rifle and ammo combo shows good consistency day in and day out at 100 yds with subs, I may become comfortable at that distance for head shots, but for now I plan on using subs only for 25-60yds. For this reason, a ballistic turret or even well-done capped turrets are options as well as exposed tac turrets. The supersonic loads will have one zero, and I'll need at least one more for a 50 yd subsonic zero. A third available for a 100 yd sub would be nice in case I end up being able to use it.

I strongly favor illum and prefer some type of hydrophobic coating, but neither are deal-breakers for this particular rifle.

Use will be to shoot pigs at not more than 200 yds. Price below $1000.

Thoughts?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2012 at 20:29
I had various scopes on my 300WTF uppers, but liked the IOR 2.5-10 best, good range for the round, and FFP reticle for doping shots on the reticle if no time to dope on the turret. 15 mils on the reticle was nice.

Most of my shots were at 100 yards or closer. I had dope for super and sub (just under a 5 mil difference, easy to dope on the reticle.)

The IOR has good illumination, no zero stop, and no eaily resetable turrets, but it fits well with the round and, with some practice and book-keeping, it works well for most ranges and bullet types.

For a 300, i'd say FFP is mandatory.

All my 300s like 208s, some shot 1 MOA, some a little more. At 100 or less, in the ear is no problem. If they drop without a sound, the report (suppressed) is quiet enough to not scare away the rest. If it squeals, the game is up.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2012 at 14:21
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

For a 300, i'd say FFP is mandatory.

I changed from a 100 yd zero to a 25/50 yd zero a while ago, which keeps things within about a half inch from 20-65 yds, give or take a little, and I haven't adjusted a turret or used anything but the center crosshair since then, except at the range. I typically use subsonics only from a stand, and this zero covers me. If I'm walking, I'll be using a different rifle or supersonic ammo, so FFP is not a deal breaker for this one. I'm more interested in being able to switch from sub to supersonic zero easily and reliably, which can be accomplished in more than one way. For instance, I could be using supersonic suppressed while I'm walking around in the afternoon, then switch to subs to sit on a stand for a few hours. It wouldn't be a problem to make that transition from capped turrets as long as they have easy-to-see numbers or a mark for an alternate zero, but I'd need it for both elevation and windage since there's also a lateral shift in POI going back and forth between sub and super. The main point for this scope is not to compensate for subsonic rainbow trajectory, but to get me back and forth between subsonic and supersonic. If the IOR can do that well, it's certainly on the list. If there are other candidates, maybe with zero stop, lockable turrets, or ballistic/multi-zero turrets, etc., I'd like to take a look at them, too. Anything else come to mind? Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2012 at 15:39
Can you explain why windage changes when going from sub to super?

If FFP isn't necessary, look at the Trijicon Accupoints, the 3-9 is a good size and fits an AR quite well.  The Trijicon 2.5-10 is a bit big (I had one on an AR, messed up the balance.)

My preference is FFP and good illumination, that narrows the field quite a bit. Unless you want to spend $2000+
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2012 at 15:53
The 125gr pink tips shoot high and to the right compared to the subsonic 208 Amax, which would require a lateral correction as well when switching. I'm told these are no longer on the market, so I'll have to pick a different supersonic hunting bullet. Who knows what correction will be needed then, but the option has to be there. I'm waiting for the 110gr Barnes loading, and I'm reading good things about the 125 Accutip. Suggestions for supersonic hunting ammo for non-reloaders?
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2012 at 15:56
The 3-9 Accupoint is on the list. Have them on my FS2000 and new Tikka .243.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2012 at 16:16
Sorry, can't help on that, I am a reloader.

I minor lateral correct should be no problem, but the difference when switching from sub to super should be that much (laterally, it can be huge vertically.)
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2012 at 16:21
Lateral's about 2" difference at 100 between these two.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic