OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Jeep CJ's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep CJ's
    Posted: April/02/2012 at 09:26
Decided that I'm going to be picking a CJ-7 here shortly, once my motorcycle sells. I am currently looking for a 78-85 era Jeep. How many of you have owned a CJ, and what are some great memories you've had in Jeeps.

You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2012 at 09:37
I pulled a jeep Cherokee out of a mud puddle that I just drove through in my old International Scout II. That was a fond memory of a jeep.
Oh you said in a jeep, not with a jeepBig Grin
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2012 at 09:42
My uncle has a WWII jeep complete with machine gun post (minus the machine gun darn it) that he got from the local school district.  They had it parked in the back of the bus shed.  Working on restoring it.  Always wanted one, never had the time or money.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2012 at 10:19
PM Earl, he's had many a CJ.  I've got a Wrangler which is basically a neutered CJ... Smile
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Rothstein1987 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2012 at 10:59
My dad and I rebuilt this CJ5 from the frame up when we were younger
Put a ton of work into it but nobody drives it anymore haha. We are more than likely gonna sell it and build a shop with the money now  Loco
Mausers forever

That was great but can you do it again??
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2012 at 12:30
Earl? I'm not sure who that is Bud. 

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2012 at 12:52
300S&W
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2012 at 14:07
Ah okay. And that CJ5 is sharp looking!

rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2012 at 15:14
I thinking of hav'n a hunt'n rig built by these guys.
http://www.twistedcustoms.biz/
http://www.twistedcustoms.biz/projects.aspx?album=9

HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2012 at 17:30

My 1st new vehicle out of high school was a 1984 model CJ7. I really loved that ride. I put 330,000 miles on it before I sold it in '92. Wish I still had it.

The great memories involved were Girls, Girls, Girls.....CoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCool

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2012 at 17:40

Had all these on the road at one time.  Had quite a few more I bought for parts but the supplies are all dried up now. 

My favorite.

The wife's.  Strictly for plowing now.

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2012 at 17:43
I had a 78 CJ5 with the AMC 304 V8 with a little work done to it, running through a 4sp and a dana 300.  "little work" means that it had high comp pistons, port and polish, high rise intake, holley 750 double pumper, fender well exit headers, a whole 15 inches of exhaust after that.  Spring over plus a 6 inch lift, with 35 inch tires.  and bla bla bla.  I stupidly sold it a few years back.

It would do wheelies Loco

I nicknamed it the Rebel Rouser (note: NOT Rabble-rouser) and hung a fake skull off the winch cable in front with a rebel bandanna tied around it.  
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2012 at 17:53
Oh, best memory...  Had to have been the time I almost ran over a honda civic.  Going around a sweeping corner that turned almost back the direction you had just come from.  It was a mess of a road full of pot holes (Military base) any rate the jeep kinda rode like a buckboard wagon on pogo sticks, and I hit one of these craters and when I did I accidentally mashed the pedal to the floor.  Jeep pulled a wheelie heading straight for a little civic stuck in the line of traffic going the opposite direction.  I still can't believe I didn't squash the car, but I remember the drivers eyes got as big as oranges and could see him make some attempt at a scream and then scrunch down in his seat.  
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2012 at 17:56

Sounds NICE.

Speaking of "Rebs" here's a $150 wonder I bought just for the T-18 trans.

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2012 at 07:31
Back in the 60's my Dad picked up an old Jeep. We fixed it up, painted it green / yellow striped (why, I have no recollection), named it Harriet and ran it up at our hunting cabin for many years. Twas a blast (especially on icy hills thru the woods). I'd forgotten all about Harriet till this thread. Excellent
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2012 at 19:17

My CJ now! lots of stuff done, but mainly needs general care and body work! Other than that its proved itself a couple of times already!

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2012 at 20:52
Just avoid the Compass model like the plague.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2012 at 05:31

HEY Mike.

How about some specs on her?!?!

NICE!   Excellent
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2012 at 12:36
Nice looking rig,  I like the Boggers Mike... how does it drive with them on there?  
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2012 at 13:25
I have a TJ Rubicon, like it allot (just got it a week ago.)

JEEP - Just Empty Every Pocket.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic