OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope for ar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2012 at 23:19
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Simple plex -- how about one with a couple of bonus hold over marks so you can zero at 200 and have hold over for 300 and 400 and 500 where the line goes heavy?
<table width="100%">

<t>

<t><tr><td class="img">Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope</td>
<td>Long Range Duplex</td>
<td>[COLOR="#0066cc" size="3">Leupold 6x42 FX-3
Riflescope[/COLOR">

Stock # - LEU66820

</td>
<td>
$429.95 
</td></tr>
</t></t>
</table>

That seems to fit the bill... thanks.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2012 at 08:29
There is no way i would put a fixed 6x on a 6.8ar that is ised for hunting. There are many much better choices than limiting yourself to 6x when hunting. Especially with a short range round.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2012 at 11:36
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

There is no way i would put a fixed 6x on a 6.8ar that is ised for hunting. There are many much better choices than limiting yourself to 6x when hunting. Especially with a short range round.

What would you use??
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2012 at 13:26
Just a good variable.  My point was just limiting yourself to a fixed power.  I have the same gripe with ACOGs, great optics, but limited because of that.

Any 1xish on bottom up to 10xish or so on top type or anywhere in between variable in the $300 to $1000 price range would serve you very well IMO. 

My choice for my 6.8 was a 1.5-6x40mm.  I think it is perfect for that caliber and the ranges of that round and personal uses.  The new SS 1-6x would be awesome as well.  The Trijicon 1-4x or 3-9x would be great choices as well.  Leupold VX3 models would work well.  Lots and lots of good choices in your budget. 

Edited by supertool73 - April/03/2012 at 13:31
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2012 at 13:31
When I had my 6.8, I had a 1.5-6x40mm which was perfect for deer, coyotes, pigs and wild dogs.  In fact, the land I hunt on belongs to a farmer and he liked my rifle so much that he talked me out of it.  He still has the same scope (Sightron) on it and it rides around with him on his tractor wherever he goes.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2012 at 22:16
Opinions on a Leupold VX-2 3x9 33 ultralight for AR 6.8 spc II??
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2012 at 22:38

Deer under 100 yds try a pistol.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/07/2012 at 11:58

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2012 at 22:54
What scope mounts would be best to get the scope as close to the rifle as possible???
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2012 at 23:33
Yup i have used fixed 1x, 3x, 4x, 5x, and 10x. I still use a 1x and two 4x scopes but they are very limiting. I cant say i know the country where u hunt but where i hunt a 6x would really suck. 6x would be ahuge problem for the close shots in timber and brush. 4x uas cost me shots before, so the terrible fov of 6x would make it even harder. The whole exit pupil thing is not much of an argument imo. I can turn my variable to what ever mag i need to get the optimum exit pupil for the current light conditions. Plus i have never been in a hinting situation where during legal light i have not been able to see my animal on what ever mag i want. I can use my 10x42 binos when it is still dark and make out game at distance that i cannot make out with my naked eye. All with 4 mm of exit pupil. I just dont think that argument holds much weight for typical hunting situations.
Fixed acopes have there place, not doubt. But to me they are like hunting with a single shot rifle. It just limits you a lot more.   Personally i just dont see the point. Not when there are so many excellent variables available

Rustic. If u are set on a leupold super light weight model, just get what u want. No need to keep asking the same question hoping for a different answer.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2012 at 23:37
Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:

What scope mounts would be best to get the scope as close to the rifle as possible???

On and ar u cant have the scope super close to the barrel. If u used low rings u would not be able to see through the scope. U will want a high mount. If u want a good mount get a bobro. They are the shiznit imo. There are several others in the 200 price range that are excellent as well. I have 3 bobros and will now always use those for ar mounts.

cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 06:02
One piece QD mounts:

Bobro, Larue, American Defence
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 08:55
What I have & I think gives the best of both worlds is a IOR Valdadad 1.5-8 x26,it gives me plenty of variation Good illum.when I need it,1.5 for up close & 8 power so I can reach out there when necessary.
The only short comming is the scope is it's a bit stout!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 09:00
Doesn't it tunnel at 1.5x though?  Most valdada scopes tunnel when you get to the lower powers so in reality it kind of defeats the purpose of the low mag. 

I had a 3-18x and a 2.5-10x, they both started to tunnel at 4x, so anything below that offered you no improved FOV.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 10:14
Supertool - somehow I think you are missing my point on the 6x42 FX3 with Long Range Duplex.  Probably because you are hunting by stalking game rather than hunting from a ladder stand, blind, or fixed position along the edge of a field.  The problem with variable power balistic reticle scopes is that the balistic reticles are designed to work at the highest power and are second focal plane.  So when the sun is setting and the deer start coming out the hold over marks on this particular scope are still true with the scope at a 7mm exit eye pupil.  Want to stalk deer try a 1-4x Accupoint but if you need to shoot several hundred yards in low light and still be able to get onto something at 50 yds this will work.  Try and shoot accurately at several hundred with a 1-4x - not so good.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 10:53
I had a SS 6x42, loved the scope, but in Eastern TN and Southeast Arkansas, it wouldn't be the right scope to use for hunting.  Most shots on deer are from 25 yards to 200 so a variable powered scope is a must, that is why I traded it in on a SS 3-9.  I think Supertool is saying that for this type of hunting (sounds like his type of hunting) a 6x42 would not be the right tool.  Three of the four deer I killed last year were within 50 yards and I was hunting from a climbing stand, so my variables stay on the lowest power unless something comes out further.  We don't have the same type of hunting here as you do in Iowa.  95% of our hunting is done from fixed stands on powerline right aways or at transition zones so close shots are to be expected.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 12:51
I do zero blind/stand hunting and have never shot any big game animal closer than around 150yd mark so, my scopes are always on the highest mag.
A fixed does make sense??
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 12:55
I am not missing your point at all.  I just don't see that is an issue, especially not a big enough issue to limit yourself to a fixed power scope.  If using a 3-9x with a bdc reticle and need to take a shot at 500 yards then I would be turning it up to 9x to use my bdc.  With a decent quality scope the not having a min of 7mm of exit pupil with my bdc is not going to be an issue during legal hunting hours.  At 9x you will still have almost 5mm which is more than is needed for pretty much dark shooting.  I have done it many times.  And way more than is needed for the legal hunting times.  The higher mag will actually allow you to see more detail than at 6x.  That is one reason why I can see so well in extremely low light with my binos even though they only have 4mm of exit pupil.  The mag brings out more detail.

It may work great for stand hunting, but that is not the kind of hunting that Rustic does.  He hunts just as I do, spot and stalk in rugged mountains, trees, brush, open country, etc.  There is just much better choices for that type of hunting.  And even stand hunting, I would never limit myself when there are better options. 

I realize you are a fixed power fan and that is fine.  I also realize I am never going to convince you otherwise and you are never going to convince me other wise.  Which is fine either way.  It just means when you often post get a 6x for hunting when people ask questions, I am just going to disagree with you.  I have used both a lot and much prefer having a variable. 

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 12:59
Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:

I do zero blind/stand hunting and have never shot any big game animal closer than around 150yd mark so, my scopes are always on the highest mag.
A fixed does make sense??

One day that will bite you in the butt.  My dad used to do that as well.  It cost him a buck that would have scored over 200.  I was just a kid, but we were stalking and he had his scope on 9x.  The huge feller jumped up on him in the juniper brush probably within 20 yards.  He pulled up and all he could see was a dark blur.  By the time he got his scope turned down it was gone. 

I did nail him with my bb gun though and my open sights.  Bucky

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 14:43
To me to use a fixed it would have to be a very low fixed power,  no more than 4X but preferable soemthing along 2.5X would be handy out to a few hundred yards.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2012 at 16:45
I haven't seen the tunneling to any degree that you talk of superT.Now I don't have the best eyes in the world but even down to 32yrds I see no problem.This is a new analog scope that I was told it has the same glass as the new 1-10.

I have compared this scope to both my S&B & a Swaro,IOR is a little darker & not quite in the same class of the Alphas,but for 1/2 the price it runs very close!

To me it's a great all around scope.........

Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic