OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ar15 target scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rugerdk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ar15 target scope
    Posted: March/28/2012 at 16:05
Ar15 used for 100-200 yard target shooting. LaRue mount. I have 2 scopes in mind:
Nikon 3-12x42 Monarch
Sightron 3-12x42 SII Big Sky
Anyone prefer one of these over the other or have any experience with them?
I gave up on the Weaver v-16

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2012 at 16:21
being you say target i looked at the two and found the images of the reticles
Reticle Dimensions
* all measurements in inches (IN).
Min Power Max Power
A 40
B .66
C 2.66
A 10
B .16
C .66
The above chart is for the sightron

Subtension

Both have almost identical subtentions so the intersection will not be finer for one vs the other. 

both have good glass with a slight edge leaning to Sightron IMO and both have good warranties.  The distances your talking about won't play into elevation factors either.   It would be a toss up to me.  If money was an issue the nikon is cheaper but not by to much when you figure in the rebate.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2012 at 16:23
are you limiting yourself to just these two or just around the $500 mark for a good target style scope for your gun?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2012 at 16:47
I prefer thin reticle and/or thin with dot for all target shooting, the 4plex will work just not as precise IMO.
rugerdk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rugerdk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2012 at 18:49
Yes looking for a scope 400-500 range. The two mentioned were my top choices

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2012 at 19:11
Welcome to Optics Talk. 

Would you even consider a fixed power scope?   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
rugerdk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rugerdk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2012 at 20:37
I would consider a fixed power, my current scope is a Bushnell 10x40 3200, and I'm happy with it aside from the fact the mildot reticle is way to heavy for target work

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2012 at 20:45
Originally posted by rugerdk rugerdk wrote:

I would consider a fixed power, my current scope is a Bushnell 10x40 3200, and I'm happy with it aside from the fact the mildot reticle is way to heavy for target work

I've never felt handicapped while using a Mil Dot for shooting groups. Not to say that a Mil Dot is ideal, but I could post's some pics of a well esteemed member here that he shot with a Mil Dot 10x SS, belly in the dirt, off a bipod that are just FILTHY!!! 
Suffice to say, it's two 5 shot groups..... 10 rounds in 2 holes.   

What type of groups are you shooting now with the Bushy? 

rugerdk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rugerdk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2012 at 20:53
Im not an expert marksman by any standards, and im sure my best groups are probly some of you guys worst. That being said, I can consistently shoot 1" at 100 yards. The reticle in my Bushnell covers the entire group and then some.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2012 at 21:02
Originally posted by rugerdk rugerdk wrote:

Im not an expert marksman by any standards, and im sure my best groups are probly some of you guys worst. That being said, I can consistently shoot 1" at 100 yards. The reticle in my Bushnell covers the entire group and then some.

If your AR can consistently do 1" at 100 yards, your in better shape than me and my AR. What make is your AR? 

So, your thinking shrink the reticle, shrink the group? Your shooting a solid 1 MOA now and that's pretty decent out of a gas gun.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2012 at 21:19
Aforementioned Mil Dot group, from Mr. Mike. This is a classic case of...."It's the singer, not the song" 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2012 at 21:21
Oh, I forgot to mention....this rifle hadn't been "broke in" yet. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2012 at 21:52
I tend to think you would enjoy it a lot more with a better scope so I will show you what I use:

SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD520X50MQ
  • Patented First Focal Plane Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • HD Model
  • Locking Ocular Adjustment
  • 0.1 Mrad Elevation & Windage
  • 10 Mils Per Revolution
  • 30 Mils Of Total Travel
  • Side Focus
$1,299.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/29/2012 at 18:09

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
rugerdk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rugerdk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2012 at 21:58
Thats one hell of a group! My LaRue mount is for 1" scopes, wonder if they sell just the 30mm rings for the mount? Gonna call in the morning. 
RRA lower. Seems to prefer 75grain
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2012 at 22:06
75 gr should work well with the 1 in 8 twist try some Berger 75 gr sometime and work a bit with the seating depth to seat them out a tad. Are you using RL15?  If you are working with 1 in rings you might consider these because with a quick detach mount you can run more than one optic on a rifle:
Leupold 25x40 FX-3 Silhouette Riflescope 1/2min. Leupold Dot Leupold 25x40 FX-3 Silhouette Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66850
$649.95 
Leupold 12x40 FX-3 Riflescope Leupold Dot Leupold 12x40 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66840
$549.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2012 at 05:39
I'm certainly not trying to talk you into a fixed power, if your set on a variable with some sort of target reticle. I just love the simplicity of a fixed power for shooting paper. 

The argument could be made that a variable gives you the option of dialing DOWN the power to deal with mirage and to power UP to see the target more clearly.    

Good shooting!! Evil Black Rifle
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2012 at 07:13
quote(RRA lower. Seems to prefer 75grain)quote

I've owned 5 223's all 1/9 twist and my best groups were shot with Sierra 52gr match now this is at 100 yards the heavier gr do better beyond 200 yards, even with your 1/8 twist I would give the lower gr's
a try you may be suprised, my Stag model 3 gives me .500-.900groups using the sierra 52gr.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2012 at 07:29
I looked at some 1" scopes and the size of the reticle on each.  This scope would be a possibility -
Minox 3-15x42 ZA5 Riflescope Minox 3-15x42 ZA5 Riflescope
Stock # - MIN66024
  • Matte
  • German #4
  • 1"
$498.95 
Add Minox 3-15x42 ZA5 Riflescope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
 Figures I found were -  3x - 1.72", 5x - 1.04", 7x - .74", 10x - .52", 12x - .52", & 15x - .35"

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2012 at 07:35
Also found these two leupolds that may work well -
Leupold 8x40 FX-II Riflescope Leupold 8x40 FX-II Riflescope
Stock # - LEU000840
$379.95 
Add Leupold 8x40 FX-II Riflescope to Cart
More Details »

Free Leupold Items:
  • Lens Pen & Leupold Alumina Threaded Lens Covers
It appears that the intersection on this one will be around 1" though.
Leupold 4-12x40 VX-2 Riflescope Leupold 4-12x40 VX-2 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU114408
$499.95 
Add Leupold 4-12x40 VX-2 Riflescope to Cart
More Details »

Free Leupold Items:
  • Lens Pen & Leupold Alumina Threaded Lens Covers
I could not find the exact subtentions on the fine duplex but if it appeals to you I'm sure that info would be readily availible.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2012 at 11:13
Originally posted by oldguy oldguy wrote:

quote(RRA lower. Seems to prefer 75grain)quote

I've owned 5 223's all 1/9 twist and my best groups were shot with Sierra 52gr match now this is at 100 yards the heavier gr do better beyond 200 yards, even with your 1/8 twist I would give the lower gr's
a try you may be suprised, my Stag model 3 gives me .500-.900groups using the sierra 52gr.

I think his choice of 75gr is a good one. My 1/9 223 likes 50gr V max or 52gr HPBTs. But my 1/8 JP and RRAs like 69 and 75gr best. But when I tried some 50gr V max in my 1/8. I was getting 1.5 to 1.75 inch groups at 100yds. 69 and 75gr give me half to three quarter inch groups at 100yds.

Also when I purchase a new rifle I ask the manufacture what works best in their rifle so I do not have to start from scratch. RRA told me 68 to 75gr for their 1/8 twist.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic