OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss DIATAL-C 4x32 worth?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss DIATAL-C 4x32 worth?
    Posted: September/06/2014 at 17:23
Originally posted by ol0ko ol0ko wrote:

Originally posted by n80 n80 wrote:

Even though I've been shooting all my life (I'm 49), my Dad always did the scope mounting for me. He now has Alzheimers. So I have no idea what I need to do. It seems like I need the exact same set-up but with taller rings......even though I hate tall rings.

Whacko

If you are almost 50 and you do not know how to mount a scope on a gun then what have you been doing your entire life? All you need to know how to do is use a screw driver to attach the rings to the dove tail rail and that is all there is to it.

Screwdriver?????? WTF?
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2014 at 17:08
Originally posted by ol0ko ol0ko wrote:

Even though I've been shooting all my life (I'm 49), my Dad always did the scope mounting for me. He now has Alzheimers. So I have no idea what I need to do. It seems like I need the exact same set-up but with taller rings......even though I hate tall rings.

Whacko

If you are almost 50 and you do not know how to mount a scope on a gun then what have you been doing your entire life? All you need to know how to do is use a screw driver to attach the rings to the dove tail rail and that is all there is to it.

Good grief olOko. That response is uncalled for. He asked a question and you give him a condescending response. And reading your comment about mounting a scope I know you don't know how to either. There is more to it than using a screw driver.

Edited by Sparky - September/06/2014 at 23:44
ol0ko View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ol0ko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2014 at 02:34

Whacko

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2014 at 20:27

Okay, I've got one of these too. Had it for years. It has not been on a rifle in quite some time.  I recently inherited a really nice Sears J.C.Higgins 30-06 (these had fine barrels and Belgium made Mauser actions.) I'd like to get this Zeiss on that rifle. I've only got one set of rings (Leopold type) (the scope is 26mm as far as I can tell.)

The problem is that I cannot get the scope rearward enough to get good eye relief. The front bell binds with the front of the front base. The base has the attachment point offset to the rear AND the front ring has the attachment point offset forward and I still cannot get it back far enough for my eye relief.

Any help would be appreciated. It appears that the inherent problem with this otherwise fine scope is the unusual 26mm barrel and a very short barrel which does not allow much adjustment for eye relief.

Cut the stock.

Visit the Ed Show
10-Ring View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10-Ring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2014 at 18:44

The Zeiss DIATAL-C 4x32 has a 1" tube and was made for the U.S. market. It also has an excellent plex reticle and not the heavy German type plex. They are extremely well made scopes that were individually tested extensively before being sent from the factory. Far better made than the Conquest, although the lens coatings on the Conquest are more advanced.

I used to own one and have just been offered another this morning which I'm going to put on my 1959 BRNO 581 auto .22LR.

n80 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2012 at 19:31
Okay, I've got one of these too. Had it for years. It has not been on a rifle in quite some time.  I recently inherited a really nice Sears J.C.Higgins 30-06 (these had fine barrels and Belgium made Mauser actions.) I'd like to get this Zeiss on that rifle. I've only got one set of rings (Leopold type) (the scope is 26mm as far as I can tell.)

The problem is that I cannot get the scope rearward enough to get good eye relief. The front bell binds with the front of the front base. The base has the attachment point offset to the rear AND the front ring has the attachment point offset forward and I still cannot get it back far enough for my eye relief.

Any help would be appreciated. It appears that the inherent problem with this otherwise fine scope is the unusual 26mm barrel and a very short barrel which does not allow much adjustment for eye relief.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 21:01

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 11:08

I sold mine about a year ago on ebay for $350 on "buy it now" the very first day I listed it.

theinvisibleheart View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinvisibleheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 22:15
thanks for all the help, guys!

Your help was much appreciated!

Sorry for belated acknowledgement.

--John
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2012 at 17:24
Sorry, eurolynn,

I was vague. What I meant was the company Carl Zeiss Oberkochen continues to exist today as simply Carl Zeiss Sports Optics, and you are correct, they are in their very modern and impressive facility in Wetzlar. I have sadly only seen it on video.
-Matt
eurolynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2012 at 16:59
Oh....but I stand form on my vague price quote!

"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
eurolynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2012 at 16:58
You are indeed right I should have paid attention when he wrote West Germany, my bad.  The Zeiss sent to the West (back in the East/West days )were just labeled Zeiss.

But I beg to differ sir,on one issue, I am sure Zeiss Sport Optics are in Wetzlar.  Oberkochen is where the technical optics are made for doctors labs and European Space Assn.   When I lived in Germany I saw a documentary on how Zeiss made the glass for some of the space shuttle missions, very cool!

I did go to Jena to see the Doctor plant.  But I must admit I was disappointed when I went to the Doctor place in Jena. Not exactly the big 'factory' i was hoping to see, it was kinda........small.
"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2012 at 15:35
I am not trying to steal the thread, as my post will relate to the OP's scope.

eurolynn,

The scope is made in West Germany, so it was likely made at the Oberkochen Carl Zeiss facility, which was completely separate from the then Carl Zeiss Jena factory which is located in (appropriately) Jena, Germany (then East Germany).

Carl Zeiss Jena eventually became Docter Optik, which it remains today.

Carl Zeiss Oberkochen remains Carl Zeiss Optics today.

I also have some Jena binoculars, which I like a lot, although Oberkochen binoculars seem to be worth more and desired more by collectors.
-Matt
eurolynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2012 at 14:05
The mention of west shows it was probably made in Jena in the ordinal Zeiss factory, before the wall came down.

A lot of variables can determine value.  Is it 1" or 26mm? Ring selection could be a problem if it is 26mm.  Are the adjustments 1/4" or 1/3" (due to the metric system?)  Does it even have clicks or is it friction plate?

Also, "The eye of the beholder" can determine value.  Check out the auction sites, and if you can struggle through German, try ebay Deutschland to see what the rate is going for in Germany.  When I left in 2007, you could get an older 4x one from 175 Euros to 300 Euros depending on your bartering skills.

And do not be surprised that the old Zeiss is clear, remember that Carl Zeiss is the grandaddy of clear optics.  I have an old East German Bino (7x50) from Zeiss Jena, clearest binos I own.  The only reason I use my Monarch binos more is the fact they are water proof.
theinvisibleheart View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theinvisibleheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2012 at 14:42
How much is Zeiss DIATAL-C 4x32 worth with original lens cap?

Glass in perfect condition.  Little bit of wear shown on scope body.

It states "Made in West Germany" and I compared the glass against Japanese made Nikon and US made Leupold.

It's bright and super clear.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic