OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Nomad vs Leupold or Other

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elkwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Nomad vs Leupold or Other
    Posted: March/28/2012 at 00:46
I am currently in the market for a new spotting scope and I think I have narrowed it down to two choices. The first being the Vortex Nomad and the second is the Leupold at a similar price point. I have read reviews on both and it would appear that the leupold optics may be a little better, but the Vortex carries a much better warranty. I am a hunter and this scope will likely spend a lot of time in a backpack or on a 4 wheeler. I am hard on my gear and I am hesitant to purchase the Leupold because I don't warranty their spotting scopes as well as they do their rifle scopes. What are your thoughts?

I am open to other suggestions but thus far these two seem to be the best options between $300- $500 dollars.

Also just out of curiosity are there any disadvantages to purchasing an angled eyepiece as compared to a straight one?
Thanks in Advance
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2012 at 07:46
Vortex is lifetime transferable warranty.  That means if you by one and you are the uptenth owner and have a problem they will fix it with no hassle.  Their warranty is one of the best in the industry.  I have little to no experience with spotting scopes so I can't be of much help suggesting others.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2012 at 08:55
Vortex has a really good hassle free no questions asked warranty.  Have several of their rifle optics and love them.  Were I still shooting 'd still be using Vortex on the rifles.
Having said that, you might be more likely to use that warranty than with the Leupold.
I purchasd a Vortex Skyline, used exclusivly for range comps, so it a really pampered in it's lifetime.
Noticed that after a few matches, no more that a half dozen, the unit would not quite focus.  Almost but not quite.  Sent it to Vortex and 6 business days later got a new unit in return.  They said the scope body had broken.  Never banged, dropped, or loaned out.  Safe to case to grass covered range and back.  When I took the soft case off the new unit was when the made in china sticker appeared on the scope body.
It's a good scope for the price point but it wasn't quite as durable as I had hoped.
Take another look at the leupold.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2012 at 09:29
I have, at one time or another, owned both the Leupold Sequoia and Vortex Nomad. The Nomad was, without question, the better spotter optically. However, I wasn't too impressed with the Nomad either. If I was looking for myself in that price range, I would be looking directly at the Celestron Regal ED series. Occasionally a Leupold Gold Ring 12-40X60 will show up used around $500, and that would be a great choice as well.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic