OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scoping a Custom 7mag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scoping a Custom 7mag
    Posted: March/27/2012 at 08:41
I'm needing to scope a new 7mag that will be here in a couple of weeks.  I'm not married to any particular brand, but here's some initial criteria:  Ability to have preferably a yardage dial option, MOA twisting mandatory at least.  Nothing over 50mm, preferably 40-44, plex reticle, no hashes dots, etc, nothing over $1000 (IMO not necessary for big game hunting).  Here's what my initial thoughts are:

1.  VX3 CDS in 3.5-10x40-proven to me it works
2.  VX3 CDS in 4.5-14x40/50 (VX3L?)-have used my neighbors on his 7STW and it works great too
3.  Zeiss Conquest w/hunting turret-never seen this turret but love conquests
4.  Viper HS 4-6x44-plex reticle seems a little too thin, only 12 MOA per turn, no zero stop.
5.  Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 SF-never seen one, Monarch glass is very good though
6.  VX6 2-12x42-great glass, adjustments right on out to 900 w/MOA dial, most user friendly variable
     I've ever used.  

I welcome the thoughts and analogies of those who have actual experience with these scopes.  Please tell me where I'm right and wrong and why, please.  Feel free to add to the list.  Thanks for the help.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2012 at 08:47
What distances will you be shooting out to?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2012 at 08:57
Realistically I don't see me shooting deer and such much past 350-400 yards.  My 3 best bucks were killed at 150 or less.  That being said, I have lots and lots of fun killing pigs, aoudad ewes, 'yotes, etc out there as far as I can, maybe 7-800 yards or so.  I have also had great fun just shooting jugs, targets, rocks, etc out to 900.  In short, I'd like the ability to kill a dieer, etc out to 750 or so, given the right conditions, practice, etc.  Probably wouldn't happen much though. 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2012 at 09:08

I'll throw a few recommendations out there -

Leupold 4-12x40 VX-R 30mm Riflescope Leupold 4-12x40 VX-R 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU111238
  • Matte
  • FireDot Duplex
  • 30mm
  • Custom Dial System
  • 1-Button Illumination
  • Vibration Sensor
  • Index Matched Lens Coatings
  • Lead-Free Edge-Blackened Lenses
  • Includes FREE Lens Pen & Alumina Threaded Lens Covers
$629.95 
Add Leupold 4-12x40 VX-R 30mm Riflescope to Cart
More Details »

Free Leupold Items:
  • Lens Pen & Leupold Alumina Threaded Lens Covers
The VXR will be the same as the VX3 in the glass department.  This one comes with the CDS system so you can dial in as well as illumination in case you have some low light situations come up.

If i were in your possition I'd look hard at a swaro with the BT turret to add this  to -
I plan on getting this scope and doing this to it.  The hash marks (which I know you don't care for, will make great holdovers for wind) are on this one but a standard plex is availible too, just make sure it has the BT to begin with.  I do believe the Swaro will also weigh the least of what you'll find, if that matters to you.
Swarovski 4-12x50 Z3 Riflescope Swarovski 4-12x50 Z3 Riflescope
Stock # - SWA59024
  • Matte
  • 4W
  • 1"
  • Ballistic Turret
$1,049.00 

And of course the conquest have a long standing history of reliability and good glass.
Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Conquest Rifle Scope #4 Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Conquest Rifle Scope
Stock # - ZEI5214909904
Matte, #4, Side Focus, Target Knobs
$879.95 
Add Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Conquest Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2012 at 09:20
I don't think the Zeiss or the Swaro have enough internal adjustment to get to 800 or 900 yards. My vote would go to the VX-6 or the Viper HS LR.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2012 at 09:42
Originally posted by Chris Farris II Chris Farris II wrote:

I don't think the Zeiss or the Swaro have enough internal adjustment to get to 800 or 900 yards. My vote would go to the VX-6 or the Viper HS LR.
Good catch, didn't even think of that. 

Guess thats why you get paid to do thisWink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic