OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Another "need scope help" thread but different

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Franky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another "need scope help" thread but different
    Posted: March/22/2012 at 15:08

I know this gets asked a ton but I think my question might be a little different than normal

So I figured I would ask this question here.

If you were going to put a new scope on a bolt gun for hunting 0-350 yards, spot and stalking as well as calling. What would be more important to you?

True 1x power vs 1.5x power?

Higher end power 8x power vs 6x or 4x power?

FOV around 40-60 feet at 100 yards vs 98-140 feet at 100 yards?

Clarity over magnification meaning theoretically a 8x power $500 scope would be less enviable than a $1000 6x scope?

Thanks for the help

BTW the scopes I am looking at are and I am trying to keep it below $1000.00

1-6 SS

1-6 VX-6

1-4 (various ones)

1.5-8 Minox

1.5-6 Meopta

1.5-6 Burris MtacHowdy 

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2012 at 15:51
What caliber will this rifle be? It sounds like maybe a coyote rifle. I would go with the 1-6 SS. It is a true 1X and any drop or windage corrections will be easy to make with the mil-dot.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Franky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Franky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2012 at 15:54
.270 win but the barrel is going to be chopped to ~ 18" Maybe 20" so figure ballistics just better than the 6.8 spc 
hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2012 at 16:21
For  a hunting/stalking I've come to regard a 30mm format as too much of a good thing. that is to say, they are measureably heavier and bulkier than a 1'' tube, as such, carrying handling will require more effort.
It sounds like you are setting up an all purpose rifle w/ emphasis on close cover use.
My thinking . a 1.5-6 should turn the trick.
Having said all that, a quick look at the 'samples list' shows some low power variables by Burris and this as well, looks like it should the job, if I had the loose scratch, I'd go for this:

hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2012 at 18:05
One more thing. As to chopping the bbl. on a 270. I've had occasion to use a Remington semi carbine in .30/06. I believe the bbl. is 18.5". The muzzle blast is qute substantial, the muzzle flash, through the scope at dusk is about blinding. A big white flash Whacko. really! FWIW YMMV
Franky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Franky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2012 at 09:21
Thanks for the advice.  The blast will be tamed by one of these 

Any reports on the Minox 1.5-8?

What reticle would you recommend

German #4

Minox Plex

or Versa plex?

Thanks

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2012 at 10:18
I have a Swaro Z6 1.7-10x, a Burris Euro 1.5-6x, a Sightron Big Sky 1.25-5x, and two SWFA 1-4x. 

I am a huge fan of having the starting mag be in the under 2x range.  I hunt a lot in thick oak and heavy aspen or pines.  So having that low mag makes a big difference for me.  I have lost several opportunities over the years because 3x and 4x was just a little to much for those close fast shots. 

For your hunting distances, I would definitely go for one of the ones with 6x or 8x on the top end. 4x is doable at 350 yards, but a little more will be better.  1x vs 1.5x on the bottom end, I don't think you will see much difference when hunting. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2012 at 10:25
under $1000 -
I'd look at one of these -
SPL12968 Zeiss 1.5-6x42 Diavari VM/V Rifle Scope DEMO-C
Click to view 5216119908, Matte, #8, 30mm
$999.95
SPL12983 Zeiss 1.5-6x42 Victory Diavari DEMO-B
Click to view 5217119908, Matte, #8, 30mm
$1,099.95
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2012 at 10:57
Originally posted by Franky Franky wrote:

Thanks for the advice.  The blast will be tamed by one of these 

Any reports on the Minox 1.5-8?

What reticle would you recommend

German #4

Minox Plex

or Versa plex?

Thanks

I hunt in mostly THICK areas with a rare 250 to 300yd shot if I'm still hunting from one area to another. My main rifle for this type hunting uses a Vortex Viper 2-7x32 w/the C3 (Versa-Plex) reticle. So far I've not wanted for anything more than this power range offers so I believe your in the right X range territory.
    Only thing I can tell you about that Minox is what I've read.  Close to Conquest in optics and the mechanics work very good and hold zero. 
    As far as reticles go I'd recommend the Versa-Plex. I'm REALLY GLAD a manufacturer is offering this reticle as I feel it's to good to be discontinued.  So far it's the "fastest to get on target with" reticle I've used to date.  In fact I like it so much that I recently picked up another Viper scope set up exactly like the one I have.  It's sitting on my .270 M70 Fwt.  If I wouldn't have ran across it I would have SERIOUSLY given that Minox consideration because of that reticle offering. 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2012 at 11:54
I would look carefully at the little Minox.  It is a nice lightweight scope with plenty of eye relief and good magnification range.

ILya
Franky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Franky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2012 at 12:35
Thanks for the advice and recommendations.

I hunt mostly open sag-brush and draws for coyotes but also thick timber for Elk and wanted a scope that would work for both and that was fast up close (I have missed more than one coyote < 30 feet) because the scope was on too high of a magnification Clown.

Any idea how the eyebox is on the Minox 1.5-8 scope?

I have googled for reviews on the 1.5-8 and they are limited. One would think this scope would sell like wild fire for what it offers 5x magnification range, decent FOV and conquest like glass am I missing something?

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2012 at 12:57
What you are missing is that people are convinced they need at least 20x magnification to hit anything.

When it comes to magnification, more is better to the majority of the buying public.
-Matt
Franky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Franky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2012 at 14:21
I know what you mean I took my elk with 4xyou on a 4-12 scope this year at 37 yards. Then at dusk my wife couldn't get a shot off on another (~250 yards) because the optics were horrible and you could see better with your naked eye     
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2012 at 14:57

A guy's better off with a high quality lower X scope than low priced one with Hubble characteristics.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2012 at 15:58
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

under $1000 -
$999.95
$1,099.95

This is a great recommendation.  +1
priler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote priler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2012 at 21:11
  i am also interested in these minox scopes,they seem to offer good value with the money going towards glass and errector and not much in the way of "bells and whistles".

my only worry is,because there isn't much info,will they last and are they repeatable. i also wonder how well they stand behide their product and how their CS is.

also,i'm not sure why,but the entire eye piece(ocular) looks sort of weak to me.

i'm interested in the 1.5-8 but i'm also waiting on their 1-5 w/ill ger #4 30mm that is supposed to come out this summer.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2012 at 20:28
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

under $1000 -
$999.95
$1,099.95

THIS Thunbs Up  But since the SS 1-6 is new I might go that route as it will have very good glass and covered true tactical knobs to dial in correction for long range  6x can effectively engage a target well past 600 yds.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/25/2012 at 20:35

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2012 at 20:32
Smith Enterprises Flash Suppressor seem to work well.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Franky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Franky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2012 at 12:04
Thanks for the advice guys keep-em coming Excellent

Priller - where did you hear about the illuminated version and how soon is summer (May or Aug)?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic