OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR-15 Amorer School

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR-15 Amorer School
    Posted: March/22/2012 at 08:26
Does anyone know of any good Armorer schools in Texas for the AR-15 that aren't LE/Mil only?

Dan@SWFA.com
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2012 at 09:46
I don't know about Texas, but Double Star in Winchester, Ky. puts on a really good armorer school.
One of my instructors attended it back in the fall. I've been to the Colt school, so when he came back, I asked him about the school and what they covered, and a few other things. I have to say, that from his discription, it sounded like a quality course, and they covered in detail, things that the Colt school only touched on.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2012 at 10:16
Are you looking to be certified, or just wanting to gain knowledge for your personal guns?
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dan View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2012 at 10:35
Looking to be certified.

Thanks guys

Dan@SWFA.com
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2012 at 12:28
You might also contact Colt. Since you work for SWFA, I think you meet their qualifications for the class. Colt also puts their show on the road, so you might find a class close.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Dan View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2012 at 12:29
Great. Thanks, I will contact them and see if that is possible. I've heard really good things about their course.
Also have you guys ever heard of The Defensive Edge. They seem to have some pretty good reviews as well.

Dan@SWFA.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2012 at 12:31
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

You might also contact Colt. Since you work for SWFA, I think you meet their qualifications for the class. Colt also puts their show on the road, so you might find a class close.

This man beat me to it. ^^^^^^
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2012 at 12:34
Bow
Dan View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2012 at 12:37
Lol. Great minds think alike.

Dan@SWFA.com
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2012 at 14:05
When I first saw this, I had a completely different idea about it's content... an Amor-er school???  Could be very interesting.  Then, I saw the respondants and knew it had to be much tamer than my intial imagination...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2012 at 14:19
Does Bushmaster ever had a course?
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2012 at 15:18
Good catch Dan.
Just goes to show that you see what you want to.
Can't say I know of a Amorer course............... There were some books, but I don't know if they are still in printClown
Dan View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2012 at 15:23
I checked out the Bushmaster and it said LE/Mil only unless arrangements have been made with the host agency so that one has pretty good potential.

Dan@SWFA.com
Dan View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2012 at 15:26
I didn't even notice that myself. I guess that shows I shouldn't have been trying to type so early in the morning. lol

Dan@SWFA.com
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2012 at 16:26
Then... there was the Bushmaster Amorer course...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2012 at 21:42
The top builders right now are GAPrecision, LaRue, WhiteOak Armory, Knight, Spikes and Wilson combat. 
The second tier of builders would be DPMS, Rock River, Armalite, Bushmaster.
1911Man on OT is Bill Wilson owner of Wilson Combat.  LaRue is in Texas, I get along OK with Mark, but not everyone is as politically correct as i am Naughty.  I dont think I would do Colt they dont make their parts in the US anymore according to Brow-nells catelogue. You probably need to give some thought to if you are wanting to do only semi auto guns or full auto also. If full auto - Red Jacket. Also if you are talking armorer VS Match armorer there is a difference and WhiteOak Armory is building the match winning uppers they dont do lowers. You do know there are youtube videos on how to,  dont you. Lowers are pretty easy to work on.  Not sure how old you are Dan but you might be able to join the Army Guard and have them promise in writing to make you a small arms  armorer or the Marine Corp and get a promise for Match Armorer they actually expect their guys to be able to shoot.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2012 at 07:24
Did you seriously just recommend Red Jacket as a place to go for full auto info?  I hope your kidding.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2012 at 07:33
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Did you seriously just recommend Red Jacket as a place to go for full auto info?  I hope your kidding.

They do build some nice weapons just not on the show. what you see on the show isn't 1/10th of that operation. A guy I work with had them build him one. It run's like a sewing machine. Very very well built. I'll get spec's and pic's if I can.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2012 at 07:47

I'm not calling them crap or junk and crusifing them like the folks on Snipers hide but what they show on the show with them hacking away with dremels scares the crap out of me.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2012 at 10:05
Colt and Double Star both are basic courses. The difference is Colt's course deals with M-16 and M-4, and you work on fullautos; Double Star's are AR-15s and you work on semiautos. Now of course there are differences, but if you can't figure them out, then maybe.........................
I will say that Colt has done a lot to make their semi's fullauto proof, and most recievr parts will not interchange with anything but Colts, and not all of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic