OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX L

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX L
    Posted: February/23/2006 at 08:11
I was at Bass Pro Shops last night and saw the VX L 3.5-10X50 mounted on a rifle.  I was very skeptical when I first saw the pics of these scopes.  It seemed like a gimmick.  Now that I've actually seen one I've changed my mind.  It makes a really good looking rig.  I've never bought a scope with a 50mm objective because they look so ungainly perched way up over the bore.  That look is gone; with the VX L, the look is racy, like a sports car.  I'm going to have to put one on something.
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2006 at 09:13

Thanks for the input.

Is your field of view affected in any way by the half-moon cut-out on the bottom of the scope? I've always wanted a 50mm scope, but just didn't do it because of the height at which they were mounted.

I guess dreams do come true!

Edited by Stud Duck
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2006 at 09:44
I didn't get to look through it a lot, but you can't tell the objective is not round.  The guy behind the counter is a friend and he had mounted the VX L on a Remington 700 CDL for a customer.  We did take it down to the windows overlooking the river so we could see some distance and be in full light.  The view is round and doesn't change when you move your eye around.
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2006 at 07:13
I may just have to invest in one. Thanks for the info.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2006 at 13:03

Thanks for the review, Yates.

It looks unique, to say the least.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 00:36

CT, "UNIQUE" that an understatement.

Looks like you ticked off your gunsmith!!!

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 06:49
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

CT, "UNIQUE" that an understatement.

Looks like you ticked off your gunsmith!!!

Are you trying to get me in trouble?? 

I meant "unique" in a good way...

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 09:13

I'm still not used to the look but I can see the advantage it would have.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 10:02

I looked through one about a week ago.  Decent glass but still way overpriced for what you get.

I'm also not sold on the new "design."  Guess we'll just have to see whether they catch on or not...

Murphy.177 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy.177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2006 at 14:14
Just out of interest how would you re-parallax these scopes??

Edited by Murphy.177
Master Debater
arkhillbilly View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2006 at 20:30
Instead of buying one of these I would spend a little more and go with the Swarovski American in some configuration.  I can't imagine the VX is the shape of scopes to come.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2006 at 21:46
Those are great scopes, but they are about $300 more and you still have the high ring problem.  I have never bought a 50mm scope, cheap or expensive, because of that.  My VX L should be here by the first of next week.  I'm anxious to check it out.
arkhillbilly View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2006 at 22:56
Good luck with your VX-L.  What I meant was that I would buy the American in either 42 or 44mm obj.  I am with you I despise high mounts, and detest extra high mounts.
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 07:21

Originally posted by Murphy.177 Murphy.177 wrote:

If your speaking of a Leupold, you can send them back to the "factory" and they will set the scope to be parallax free at whatever distance you desire.

Murphy.177 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy.177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 18:16
Originally posted by Stud Duck Stud Duck wrote:

Originally posted by Murphy.177 Murphy.177 wrote:

If your speaking of a Leupold, you can send them back to the "factory" and they will set the scope to be parallax free at whatever distance you desire.

I was meaning doing it yourself with normal leupolds is just a turn of the front bell.
But not with this!!!!
Master Debater
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 21:21

I think there's some side focus models coming out soon..  That's way better than trying to do it on the objective anyway.

fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2006 at 05:26

I'm not sure how much extra these cost compared to other 50mm scopes out there??

But if the price is near the same or at least the same as Leupolds' other "Round" VX-III scopes in the same power range, I'd think this would give them a special advantage over the other 50mm & 56mm scopes,  do to the ring height.

But if the price is significantly higher than what a customer could buy a comparable 50mm to 56mm scope for...I'd just put my money into a custom stock and kill two birds with one stone.

Can you see me now...
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2006 at 10:29

POOF just like magic - here it is:

LEU60365 New Leupold 4.5-14x56 VX-L 30mm Riflescope New Leupold 4.5-14x56 VX-L 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Varmint Hunters
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Target Knobs
  • Index Matched Lens System with Diamondcoat Indexed Matched on the exterior lens surface
SWFA: $1,029.95
Side Focus

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic