OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

do it yourself truck bed liners????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: do it yourself truck bed liners????
    Posted: March/20/2012 at 21:19
Any body had any luck with a do it yourself truck bedliners?

If so what brand and how do you like it?

I know this isnt really releated to shooting but I know their are some handy fellas that hang around hereBig Grin
Dont take yourself to seriously
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2012 at 22:07
Just buy the old style plastic one and be happy this spray on crap doesnt always work well unless you take it down to bare metal.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2012 at 07:41
I've done  a few truck beds and one guys entire floorboards in his old blaser.  The key to the do it your self kits is to completely strip it down to the metal as Wes says above.  If you dont' then it will not adhere as it should.  The one bed we did last the guy didn't wanna strip his paint down, we rolled straight over it with a do it yourself kit, his is already starting to fall off and have issues,  the first one we did, probably 5 years prior to this last one, is still just as good as it was new, we stripped that one down to bare metal and really put a lot of time into it.  All in all depending on what you value your time at, I'd look for a rhino liner dealer in your area.  They typically charge around $400 for a complete job and they do the prep work, and its a lifetime warranty.  By the time you by the kit and put a few hours into it, it may be just work having a pro do it.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2012 at 07:47
Depends on what you want to use if for, hauling or to make the bed look clean and tidy?
None of the DIY linners  ive used have ever lasted when hauling stuff daily,if your not hauling it lasts very well and looks good.The best DIY product i used was herculiner(rubber coating)

You could always get a plastic bed linner off CL, people can't give them away.

I'm in the process of testing a BedRug out, looks like carpet but is really tough and won't stain,everything just washes off including oil...........so far i'm more than impressed.

I'm classic shag nasty type.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2012 at 08:04
I have helped a guy put a do-it-yourself spray in liner and we did as stated above and it lasted about 4 years.  Both my Dad and I have Linex spray in liners in out trucks, my Dads is 11 years old and the bed is beat to he**, but the liner hasn't cracked.  It has some chips in it but none of them go through to the metal.  I have had both the plastic and the spray in and think the spray in is worth the investment.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2012 at 14:08
I've also used the do it your self Herculiner.  I never had an issue with it pealing off, but as AJ said it is quite thin and not extremely durable.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic