OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Steel rings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rattlesnakemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steel rings
    Posted: March/17/2012 at 10:13
Isn't a steel ring a steel ring? Or is the steel only the pin that locks on the base? TPS sounds like the ring itself is aluminum and the pin is the alloy steel part.
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2012 at 13:55
I have weaver tactical ring and I am not real happy with them. They are aluminum. I recommend warne steel rings for best bang for your buck. They are solid. I would stay away from tps if that is the case but dont own them so cant say if is steel and aluminum combo...
Good luck
Dont take yourself to seriously
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2012 at 14:03
Originally posted by Rattlesnakemp Rattlesnakemp wrote:

Isn't a steel ring a steel ring? Or is the steel only the pin that locks on the base? TPS sounds like the ring itself is aluminum and the pin is the alloy steel part.

TPS makes rings that are made of steel (the ring itself).
They also make rings made of Aluminum (the ring itself).

The steel is heavier and a little more expensive.
-Matt
Rattlesnakemp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rattlesnakemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2012 at 14:19
I only run steel rings on my bolt guns. But I am doing my first tactical build and there is just so many choices. I am down to Seekens, Warne or TPS.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2012 at 20:22
Don't forget Badger............
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2012 at 20:44
Originally posted by jselsor jselsor wrote:

I have weaver tactical ring and I am not real happy with them. They are aluminum. I recommend warne steel rings for best bang for your buck. They are solid. I would stay away from tps if that is the case but dont own them so cant say if is steel and aluminum combo...
Good luck

What don't you like about the weavers if I may ask?
Old Mil ftw
Rattlesnakemp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rattlesnakemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2012 at 09:31
Badger is out of the price range.
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2012 at 11:10

What don't you like about the weavers if I may ask? [/QUOTE]

Weaver tac rings are flimsy. The torque nuts themselves are aluminum and feel like they are about to strip out when tightening. I cant remember what the tourque specks are but they are not even close in comparison to warne or burris. I own two sets of weaver tac rings and think they are appropriate for some rifles however after installing a set of warne 30mm rings. I think steal is the only way to go for a true long range rifle set up or heavy recoil. When installing I could tell that they were much more rigid and wasnt scared to torque those babies down which they need to be tight to the pic rail.

Just an opinion take it or leave it but I think most would agree 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2012 at 11:58
Originally posted by Rattlesnakemp Rattlesnakemp wrote:

I only run steel rings on my bolt guns. But I am doing my first tactical build and there is just so many choices. I am down to Seekens, Warne or TPS.

if steel is all u will use dont get seekins then, as they are aluminum.

For the original post. All steel and all aluminum are not the same. Both metals can be horrible or great depending upon how they are made.

Take talley one piece ring mounts for example. They are aluminum and are incredibly strong. I jave a set on a 45-70 that kicks quite good. I also have a set on a 300 wsm that is brutal in the recoil department and they work great on it as well.

On steel, i have broke leupold steel rings on my 45-70. I also know people who have broke several sets of badger steel rings on tactical rifles.

So my point is just because one is steel or aluminum does not mean much. Just buy a quality product that is well known and they will most likely serve u well. Any can break steel or aluminum.

Edited by supertool73 - March/18/2012 at 12:06
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2012 at 12:23

Well said supertool

Rattlesnakemp
I have bought cheap ass rings in the past and found myself replacing them. Do yourself a favor and spend the little extra for somthing you will be happy with.

A wise man learns from another mans mistakes
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2012 at 12:35
I wouldn't write off aluminum. either.  I have some serious LR rigs, and they all have aluminum.  I think I will be trying out Aadmount rings, which are also aluminum.  The design, construction, and tolerances are more important than simply the metal used, IMO.
-Matt
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2012 at 18:21
The Aadland rings have a superior design and use high quality aluminum stock. I have not tried them yet, but intend to.  They could change my appreciation, or lack of, for aluminum rings.  As for steel failing, I just had a set of Warne QD's fail miserably on my .50.  The rings almost destroyed my SS10xHD scope...

BigDaddy swears he did not run over it with his truck...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2012 at 20:23
I've had some steel rings that failed and I think the worst rings I have owned were the weaver quad lock rings they just shred the finish on a scope and dont hold well. The Talley one piece ringmounts are alluminum but are superb rings for a bargain price I run them on several rifles including 300 WSM. I prefer the Badger Ordnance steel rings but also have one set of Seekins Precision aluminum that I have not had a problem with. I did get rid of one set of Badger Max 50 Ultra High for AR steel rings I think they weighed more than the rifle. I also run several sets of Warne rings and while they seem sloppy while installing them they seem do do very well and their little torque wrench is very nice I have two of them and highly recommend it.  The TPS rings seem superior to the Warne.  I also have a set of Talley steel quick detachable rings that is here waiting for a 30mm 16x42MQ scope to show up and sit on a Tikka T3

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2012 at 21:42
Eveyone blasting Weaver! Maybe i should change my order... I read so many good reviews on their Tactical 6 hole rings or whatever they are called. It'll be going on a .308 but i sure dont want it to damage my SS scope... hmmm
Old Mil ftw
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2012 at 21:46
I have not tried their tactical model but the old style weaver rings where one sice clamped and the other had two screws in it was just fine Ive run those before without problem but the Quad Lock rings suck. Warne is a saver choice in not too expensive of rings and Talley lightweight ringmounts is the pick of the litter.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2012 at 21:58
I'll give the Weaver Tacticals a shot, keep a close eye on things. I have a set of Warne 1" permanent attach rings on my hunting rifle and they are sturdy for sure.  
Old Mil ftw
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2012 at 02:12
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

The Aadland rings have a superior design and use high quality aluminum stock. I have not tried them yet, but intend to.  They could change my appreciation, or lack of, for aluminum rings.  As for steel failing, I just had a set of Warne QD's fail miserably on my .50.  The rings almost destroyed my SS10xHD scope...

I have been extremely impressed with Aadland rings and single piece mounts.  So much so, that I am slowly switching over to them wherever appropriate.  

They are not ideal for every application (sometimes I prefer QD mounts), but where applicable they work exceedingly well.

ILya
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2012 at 07:16

Not yet anyways.

I like Aadland also. I have some on my 300RUm and it was a perfect fit with the near base. When I am able to get out of the pour house I'll swap the 50 over ti them. Might be a little bit but it will happen. I hope.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2012 at 12:03
Exactly how long do you expect to continue this affair with Elvira???
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2012 at 12:31

Exactly how long do you expect to continue this affair with Elvira???

Just until I'm done? I guess?

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic