OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SCOPE FOR 7MM?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prodgi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SCOPE FOR 7MM?
    Posted: February/22/2006 at 22:09

I'LL KEEP THIS SIMPLE. LOOKING FOR THE MOST "PRACTICAL" AND BEST PRICED SCOPE FOR A TIKKA T3 7MM. IT WILL BE USED MAINLY FOR WHITETAIL IN THE MIDWEST WERE THERE ARE WIDE OPEN FIELDS,(200-300 YDS), AND HOPEFULLY FOR ELK OUT WEST. I HAVE LOOKED AT THE BUSHNELL 3200 AND THE BURRIS FULLFEILD II, ANY PREFERENCES? I'LL CONSIDER ALMOST ANYTHING BUT WILL NOT BUY SOMETHING WITH A LOT OF FEATURES I'LL NEVER USE INC. BALLISTIC COMPENSATOR'S ILL. RETICLES ECT... 

A 3X9 IS PLENTY(I THINK) CAUSE I HATE ADJUSTABLE OBJ. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT, OH AND I DON'T WANT TO SPEND MUCH OVER $250.00.

catusbill View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catusbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2006 at 22:13
The Burris FF II 4.5-14 X 42mm are going for $250-$280 on the street. I just got one for a long range .308 and like the Ballistic Plex. Check it out it is in your price range and good buy. If you need link email me. The link feature doen't work here.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2006 at 22:59
Sounds like a 3200 wold be right up your alley. The Rainguard feature might come in very handy and will fit your budget. Also, the Weaver Grand Slam would make an excellent choice. I prefer the glass of the Grand Slam and the 3200 over the Burris FFII.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2006 at 23:42
Weaver Grand SLam 3-10x40 or Sightron S2 3-9x42 should work fine for you.  T3 is pretty light last I recall.  If there is a chance of getting hit with the scope, go with the SIghtron it has longer eye relief (and is cheaper).  I've got a SIghtron S2 3-9x42 on a TIkka M695 in 280Rem and I am very happy with the combination.

ILya
Charlie70 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2006 at 16:03
I'll put my 2 cents in for the Sightron also. I have a 3.5 - 10 x 50mm SII on a 300 win mag. Very clear and good eye relief.
prodgi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prodgi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2006 at 20:45

THANKS FOR THE FEED BACK. GUESS I HAVE SOME RESEARCH TO DO ON SIGHTRON AND WEAVER.  I DON'T MIND SPENDING MONEY A QUALITY SCOPE

BUT I DO MIND PAYING EXTRA FOR FEATURES THAT ARE THE RESULT OF A MARKETING PLOY.

BEST PRODUCT FOR THE LEAST AMOUNT OF MONEY, GUESS THAT EXPLAINS WHY I'LL BE BUYING A TIKKA!!

prodgi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prodgi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2006 at 20:57
HEY I FORGOT TO ASK, WHAT ABOUT THE LEUPOLD VX-I?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2006 at 03:06

Originally posted by prodgi prodgi wrote:

Not a real good choice. I think you'd be better served with one of the scopes the other members mentioned.

For example, the Sightron S2 koshkin mentioned will be a lot better scope than the VX I and probably cost less.

Good shooting...

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2006 at 07:11

If you're gonna buy Leupold, you've got to go with a VX-III or nothing, there's better out there for the money.

prodgi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prodgi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2006 at 22:03

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP. I HAVE DONE A BIT OF RESEARCH ON THE SII, EVERYTHING SOUNDS GREAT. EVEN FOUND ONE $20.00 LESS THAT THE FULLFIELD. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS, THERE ARE NO DEALERS LOCALLY.

ARE YOU GUY'S SURE ENOUGH OF THE SII THAT YOU WOULD PURCHASE ONE SIGHT UNSEEN?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2006 at 22:38
I've had a bunch of Sightrons and still have a few.  I am very happy with mine.

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 09:48

Scopes I'd buy sight unseen in the under $300 price range:

6508 Nikon 6x42 Monarch UCC Riflescope Nikon 6x42 Monarch UCC Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Nikoplex
  • 1"
SWFA: $259.95

6515 Nikon 2-7x32 Monarch UCC Riflescope Nikon 2-7x32 Monarch UCC Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Nikoplex
  • 1"
SWFA: $289.95
6520 Nikon 3-9x40 Monarch UCC Riflescope Nikon 3-9x40 Monarch UCC Riflescope
  • Gloss
  • Nikoplex
  • 1"
SWFA: $299.95
200159 New Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II Tactical Rifle Scope New Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II Tactical Rifle Scope
  • Olive Drab
  • Ballistic Plex
  • 1"
  • TAC-2 Knobs
SWFA: $248.95
200123 New Burris 2-7x35 Fullfield II Rifle Scope New Burris 2-7x35 Fullfield II Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Ballistic Plex
  • 1"
SWFA: $160.95
200166 Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II Rifle Scope Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II Rifle Scope
  • Gloss
  • Ballistic Plex
  • 1"
  • Hunter Knobs
SWFA: $198.95
200162BIN Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II Rifle Scope Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Ballistic Plex
  • 1"
  • Hunter Knobs
  • Free Burris Landmark 8x32 Binocular w/ Purchase
SWFA: $198.95
10953 Aimpoint 7000SC Short 30mm Red Dot Sight Aimpoint 7000SC (Short) 30mm Red Dot Sight
  • Matte
  • 4 MOA
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
  • 2 Free Weaver Style Rings w/ Purchase
SWFA: $249.95

I might even put a $299  fixed 10X super sniper on a rifle but I wouldn't order a sightron, don't recall ever seeing a sightron and I shoot a lot. That's not to say it's not a great scope but I sure wouldn't buy one sight unseen. Do yourself a favor and look before you leap.  What one guy likes may not app

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
prodgi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prodgi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 20:18

THANKS FOR ALL INFO. I COMPARED THE BURRIS AND THE BUSHNELL 3200 SIDE BY SIDE AND FOUND THE BUSHNELL TO BE SLIGHTLY FUZZY AROUND THE EDGES. (HARDLY NOTICEABLE)

THE SALESMAN TOLD ME TO BE AWARE THAT THE FULLFEILD THAT COMES IN THE COMBO PACK WITH THE SPOTTING SCOPE OR BINOCULARS IS AN IMPORTED SCOPE WITH DIFFERENT GLASS AND LOWER QUALITY COATINGS. HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THIS?

I'LL BE PLACING MY ORDER SOON THANKS AGAIN.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2006 at 00:30

Burris that comes in a combo deal is assembled in Asia (Phillipines, I think) out of the same components as the rest of Fullfield II scopes.  Same glass, same coatings and same mechanicals.

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2006 at 14:17

The combo deal is a good value and has a FOREVER WARRANTY. But I will tell you that I  would rather have a Nikon Monarch than the Burris Fulfield.   A friend of mine bought a 3-9 short mag Burris and has been unhappy with it because of dificulty with critical eye relief under hunting conditions, but I think the fulfield would be ok. The Sightron may very well be a good scope but I am recommending that you find one and look at it to be sure that is what you want before you slam your visa card down to order one. I think the Weaver Grand Slam scopes are a little over budget but you might consider them also.

Who else out there beside Koshkin has had good luck with a Sightron? 

Chris ???Can SWFA special order Sightron?

Does sound like a pretty cool deal to get a free pair of binoculars with a Burris scope doesn't it, 

dont you wish Zeiss would do that  .

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
prodgi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prodgi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2006 at 15:21
I KNOW THIS IS WAY OFF SUBJECT BUT WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS ABOUT BARREL BREAK IN? DO IT, DON'T DO IT AND WHAT IS THE PROPER METHOD?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2006 at 15:29
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Who else out there beside Koshkin has had good luck with a Sightron? 

Chris ???Can SWFA special order Sightron?

I have some very limited experience with a Sightron SII.

A very nice scope w/ excellent tracking abilities. Exac-Track, koshkin??

As koshkin keeps saying, the SII has really nice eye relief as well. I'm thinking around 3.5" @ 10x. (That's a guess.)

A couple of guys over @ Sniper's Hide swear by Sightron too. They love them!!

Sightron offers a nice compliment of reticles and power offerings too. Something for just about anybody.

(Yeah damn it, more reticles than Nikon offers!!)

Sightron has a 30mm tube line called the S3, which I have only seen a couple low power models and can't really say any more than that.

I wish I knew what this model offers for W/E adjustments, but I don't think the Sightron website tells it.   

And yes, Chris has said he would order a Sightron for anyone that wants one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2006 at 15:30

I KNOW THIS IS WAY OFF SUBJECT BUT WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS ABOUT BARREL BREAK IN? DO IT, DON'T DO IT AND WHAT IS THE PROPER METHOD?

Bolt gun?? 

http://kriegerbarrels.com/RapidCat/catalog/pagetemplate.cfm? template=/RapidCat/common/viewPage.cfm&PageId=2558&C ompanyId=1246

I'm still not sure if I'm an advocate of "barrel break in" or not.

Edited by cheaptrick
prodgi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prodgi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2006 at 17:02

SEEMS LIKE THOSE THAT ARE FOR BREAK IN ARE FOR IT AND EVERY ONE ELSE HATES IT!?

I E-MAILED BERRETA TO GET THEIR VIEW SINCE THE TIKKA IS IMPORTED BY THEM, I GUESS I'LL BE LUCKY IF THEY REPLY.

THANKS FOR THE LINK CHEAPTRICK!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2006 at 17:38

Well, Sako/Tikka barrels are VERY smooth from the factory.

Much smoother than say a Remington, Savage, and most certainly Ruger, generally speaking.

I never broke my Sako 75 in by the book, and it shot hand loads sub MOA all day.

I DID break in my Remington VSLH .308 by the book and it shoots sub MOA all day.

I'm still on the fence on barrel break in.

Lots of opinions in both directions by real deal authorities.

Gale McMillan comes to mind as a NON-proponent to barrel break in.

One thing we all agree with, is to take a brand new barrel and clean the fire out of it, before you shoot the first shot!!

I like to use Remington's Bore Cleaner to run through it.

Smooths out the bore and makes it easier to clean.

Shooter's Choice and Barnes CR10 Copper cleaner after that.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic