OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Never shoot dry??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Never shoot dry??
    Posted: March/14/2012 at 08:48
This from Pacnor site:
Thanks for purchasing a barrel from us!

For best results, of course, it is necessary to 'season' it and use proper cleaning equipment. We like the Dewey coated rods, a good bore guide, copper/bronze brushes and cotton flannel patches, the appropriate size to keep that jag and rod in the middle of the bore. You will need a good bore solvent, like KG 3, Shooters Choice or CR-10 to loosen the fouling, followed by a scrubbing with Holland's Witches Brew or KG 2. After cleaning, nullify the solvents with rubbing alcohol and patch dry. Finish with Tetra Gun Oil, KG 4 or Holland's Bbl Break-in Fluid. Never shoot a dry bore as this will greatly promote copper fouling.

Now what is meant with the last sentence? Never shoot dry bore?
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2012 at 08:51
So i guess you have to wet it down before every shot. 
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2012 at 08:59
That is a funny way to put it. I think they mean a clean unlubricated bore. I always run a lubed patch followed by a dry patch after cleaning and before shooting. After the first shot the bore is lubed by fouling.

I guess they don't consider a fouled bore "dry."
-Matt
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2012 at 09:03
Spit on your bullets.  No lugies as they gum up the bore.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2012 at 09:31
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

That is a funny way to put it. I think they mean a clean unlubricated bore. I always run a lubed patch followed by a dry patch after cleaning and before shooting. After the first shot the bore is lubed by fouling.

Lubed with what? And does the dry patch not remove the lube?
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2012 at 09:34
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

To a point it dose, When a bullet is crammed down the barrel I'm sure 99.9% of it is gone and the heat and flame get the 0.1%.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2012 at 09:43

The dry patch removes the excess copper solvent to ensure you're starting with a clean bore PRIOR to running another oil-soaked patch to apply a light film as a preservative.

In your quote above, after the dry patch step, they tell you to "finish with Tetra Gun Oil, KG 4 or Holland's Bbl Break-in Fluid," which is the bore preservative oil they recommend, though many different oils will also work.  After that, you don't run another dry patch, you leave the oil film in the bore.

I always run a patch soaked in Kroil after I clean my barrels, because it's a super penetrating oil that leaves a very thin film and creeps into every tiny pore and tool mark in the steel surface.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2012 at 09:46

This from Pacnor site:
Thanks for purchasing a barrel from us!

For best results, of course, it is necessary to 'season' it and use proper cleaning equipment. We like the Dewey coated rods, a good bore guide, copper/bronze brushes and cotton flannel patches, the appropriate size to keep that jag and rod in the middle of the bore. You will need a good bore solvent, like KG 3, Shooters Choice or CR-10 to loosen the fouling, followed by a scrubbing with Holland's Witches Brew or KG 2. After cleaning, nullify the solvents with rubbing alcohol and patch dry. Finish with Tetra Gun Oil, KG 4 or Holland's Bbl Break-in Fluid. Never shoot a dry bore as this will greatly promote copper fouling.

Now what is meant with the last sentence? Never shoot dry bore?

I think what they are trying say is lube the bore after the rubbing alcohol as the alcohol evaporates and leaves no lubrication.  I always run a oil patch after cleaning followed by a dry patch to remove the excess oil and only leave a light film in the bore.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2012 at 15:40
Never shoot until you have a beer, then a beer while shooting, and one after...
Then you are not "shooting dry"...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2012 at 15:41
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

The dry patch removes the excess copper solvent to ensure you're starting with a clean bore PRIOR to running another oil-soaked patch to apply a light film as a preservative.

It is my understanding the last dry patch does not remove all of the lube.

Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

I always run a oil patch after cleaning followed by a dry patch to remove the excess oil and only leave a light film in the bore.

This is also what I have been told. I dunno, maybe I am doing it wrong, Ted, but I haven't rusted a bore yet.
I do run a dry patch before the lubed patch to remove the solvents though. Forgot to mention that part.
-Matt
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2012 at 15:59
I would run a dry patch through the bore after an oily patch to remove any excess oil. If you shoot with to much oil in the barrel, I think you could risk bulging the barrel, or causing excessive pressure. At least that's what I was told by old timers.

I do like Kickboxer's idea better thoughBucky
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2012 at 16:14
a dry bore is one that has been flushed with carb. cleaner or brake cleaner, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone or one of the other low flash point solvents.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2012 at 02:06
Dale, allways the voice of reason !

OK that makes some sense, but a strange way of putting it.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2012 at 09:18
this topic makes all the rounds on all the forums at least once a year.  One interesting post had the orgin of the term from the barrel rifling cutting process. The shavings were washed away with a heavy cutting lube then the metal was flushed with a solvent to dry it of the cutting lube. Have no idea if this is correct-- just saying- anyway large areement accross forums (if there is such a thing) that dry has been cleaned with solvent. Easiest way to solve problem is just stop cleaning so much.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

bro.steve View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bro.steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2012 at 22:17
Don't forget the good old light fluid to dry the bore...used to be recommended, now a light oil film.LocoIt's making me crazy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic