OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New rig. 223 wssm NEED GLASS!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M2A2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New rig. 223 wssm NEED GLASS!
    Posted: February/22/2006 at 15:49
Hello to all. Great form. I have bought a NEW varmit gun.And I am looking for some advice.  I sold my Ruger 220 swift. And my 22-250. Both with good glass on them They wore leupold 4.5-14x40 varxIII and a 6.5-20x40 varxIII with a target dot. The new gun will be used for night hunting as well as day time dog shooting. My problem is that Ioved the the target dot. But I had a heck of a time seeing it at night with a spot light on a animal.Just too fine But I could shoot with that target dot . I saw a add in competitor for Docter scopes I was looking at the 8-25x50 With the duplex reticle. Then I did a google search and did not come up much. I do believe you get what you pay for . I was in the market for about $700.00 worth of scope. Any and all advice would be considered. Thanks
Dear God,please help us in the coming struggle. But if you cant, please dont help the enemy. We will honor our sacred bargin. Send us targets and we will send you souls for your heavenly purposes Amen
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2006 at 17:25

I know that this is going to sound crazy but $700 is kind of a "tweener" amount when it comes to optics.  There are some nice scopes for that amount but you can get to the "super premium" lines of the top lines for about $800.  Might be worth upping the ante just a little to get something REALLY nice.

Check out:

1) IOR;

2) Zeiss Conquest;

3) Swarovski American;

4) Kahles CL

Many here will agree with me that Leupold, while good & reliable, are not a very good value for the money.  It is definitely worth your time to check out some of these other brands. 

Best of luck to you!

M2A2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M2A2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2006 at 18:10
I would not bat an eye at dropping a couple more hundred. Quality is everything!
Dear God,please help us in the coming struggle. But if you cant, please dont help the enemy. We will honor our sacred bargin. Send us targets and we will send you souls for your heavenly purposes Amen
M2A2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M2A2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2006 at 19:49

I was just looking on the sample list at the Swarovski American 6-18x50 WOW that looks sweet. Also the Zeiss 4-16x44. Feel free to jump in guys.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2006 at 20:02

These are good scopes and it really comes down to personal preference.  If you were to conduct a poll you would get the populace neatly divided between Zeiss Conquest and Kahles CL as the best scope in that price range.  They would probably be one vote for the IOR (mine).  Maybe one or two for the Swarovski.  Around 5 minute after the voting ends, cheaptrick will chime in and vote for Nikon Monarch which pretty much proves that beauty and optical quality are both in the eye of the beholder (and that I am very unlikely to miss an opportunity to make fun of him a little).

We all have our preference, but bottom line is that you can't go wrong with any of these.  IORs are nice but they are big and heavy and are mostly directed at a different market: more tactical than hunting. Conquest and Kahles CL are probably your best choices.

ILya

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2006 at 21:20

SPOTLIGHT?? WTF??  T_H_A_T_'S cheating

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

M2A2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M2A2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2006 at 09:26
Weight is not much of a problem the rifle will weigh around 11 or 12 lbs. when completed. I will look at all the above mentioned scopes. And I will pick one from the sample list [most likely]. Thanks for the suggestions.
M2A2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M2A2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2006 at 09:31

spotlighting? NAAW.....That not CHEATING!  Thats playing by the rules!

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2006 at 10:21

Originally posted by M2A2 M2A2 wrote:

I would not bat an eye at dropping a couple more hundred. Quality is everything!

Since you are willing to up the budget a bit for quality sake, then I STRONGLY recommend the Kahles CL 4x12 52mm.  IMHO, the best scope under $1,300 around in a 1" tube.  SWFA offers these (with MultiZero; might even be able to get it with the TDS reticle) for $1,058.  Heck of a deal for the quality of optics.

If you want something with a higher top-end magnification, check out (along with Zeiss) IOR 4x14 56mm for $889.  Comes with an illuminated reticle (might be great for spotlight hunting) and a 30mm tube.

Best of luck & let us know what you decide...

Edited by ceylonc
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2006 at 11:22
Don't for get about those Leupolds.  Looks like you had a couple of them you liked. The VX III's are better than your Vari X's.
M2A2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M2A2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2006 at 08:56
Thanks for the info . I AM LOOKING HARD. I just wounder about veiwing the finer reticles at night ? More home work.Thanks again!
Shooter II View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shooter II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2006 at 11:32

M2A2 -

My spotlighting rifle has fine wires and mil dots - it is a sightron SI 3x9-40 mm.  I use it on 5X.  If you turn the power down the fine is easier to see.   The spotlights are good for light to about 300 yards after that things get a little dark for seeing with the bare eye. 

Oh BTW the rifle is a .22 Hornet, dual spotlights on the pickup, and running shots are automatic  - two dots built in lead.

Ammo is cheap shoot it again.
If you can see it you can hit it - just add some clicks.
M2A2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M2A2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2006 at 16:14
I did it! I went with the Zeiss conquest 6-14x50. Thank you all for you comments and advice. I did look hard at them all.
Sakoboy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sakoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2006 at 22:16

M2A2 Wrote:

Quote I did it! I went with the Zeiss conquest 6-14x50. Thank you all for you comments and advice. I did look hard at them all.

Either I'm losing it or Zeiss introduced a 6-14x50 for the Conquest line.
Are you sure you don't mean a 4.5-14x44 or 4.5-14x50 or 6.5-20x50???

If I'm wrong I'm sorry for the confusion.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2006 at 02:09
Yeah, the currant Conquest's don't come in that flavor.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
M2A2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M2A2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2006 at 17:33
Yea Yea thats what it is. It's sitting in Ohio At my ffls house. It's killing me . I need to touch it. Hold it. Feel it and love on it.heee...heeee!
cd100 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cd100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2006 at 21:37

SAVE YOUR MONEY   The scope doesn't matter.Buy a 10 million power spotlight,shine him .Get outta the truck and hit him in the head with a ball bat like grand dad use to!

Czech

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic