OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWAROVSKI Z3 VERSUS Z6

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpencerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWAROVSKI Z3 VERSUS Z6
    Posted: March/11/2012 at 22:49
Is is really worth paying the extra money to get the Z6 over the Z3? I would like feedback from any of you who have either or both of these scopes

I rather be happy than right
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2012 at 23:40
I have a z3.  It is a fine scope optically.  I really like the BRH reticle.  I don't think the optical differences between it and and the z6 are really great, but the z6 has robust coil spring adjustments (versus traditional leaf spring in the z3), and a 6x ratio.

Is it worth it? 

Wasn't to me, but I wouldn't mind having a z6 either.
-Matt
SpencerK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpencerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2012 at 00:47
yeah I'm thinking of getting 4-12x50Z3. now trying to decide on
 a sako or browning
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2012 at 04:27
30mm tube on Z6 there are also a lot more choices as far as magnification, they also use the HD glass on the 3.5-15 and up. Both would give you years of service but I would opt for the Z5. Just a bit more magnification than Z3 but that is more for my needs.
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2012 at 05:27
Have two Z6's (1-6x24 EE) and just picked up a Z3 4-12x50 BT.  Glass is very good on both.  The reticle on the Z3 has the look of a wire, not etched.  I wouldn't throw the Z3 on my 375, where my Z6 is going.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2012 at 06:31
Z3 has a wire rectile but I have a freind who mounted one on both a 7 rem mag and a 375 and didn't have any issues.
Regards Chris
bird_hunter66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bird_hunter66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2012 at 07:50
I have a Z3 BRH 4x12x50 on my Browning X-Bolt .243 which I use for varmit and deer hunting in NC, SC, GA.  The view at dusk and dawn is outstanding.  Up until I got this scope I have two Leupold VXIII which are good scopes but the glass isn't nearly as good as the Swarovski at dusk and dawn.  I'd definately buy a Z3 again and maybe a Z5 or Z6 if I had the extra $$ to spend.  I don't think you'll go wrong though with the Z3.  Let us know what you end up buying.  I think some of the Z6's are on sale right now but they are still a lot more $$ then the Z3.
D. Holmes
SpencerK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpencerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2012 at 08:07
if i buy a demo B or demo A on the sample list, will i still have the same warranty as a new one?

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2012 at 08:14
I think the BRX/BRH and windage reticle models are etched, if that matters to you.
-Matt
SpencerK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpencerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2012 at 08:27
I thought all Z's where etched, but i have never owned an etched glass, I thought this would be my first. does that make a big difference?
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2012 at 10:04
Originally posted by SpencerK SpencerK wrote:

if i buy a demo B or demo A on the sample list, will i still have the same warranty as a new one?

yes, lifetime transferable warranty means it's good no matter who owned it first
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2012 at 10:39
Warranty is transferrable.  You may have to talk with Swarovski as to the details of purchasing it from a dealer as used.  Give them a call.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2012 at 14:21
I also think all Z3 reticles are etched. Can anyone prove otherwise?
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2012 at 15:39
As far as the warranty goes, just call SWFA. they have the details for all the manufactures of the scopes they sell. 
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
jehu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jehu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2012 at 06:29
That Swaro deserves a Sako under it.Yippee
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2012 at 11:13
I have scopes from both series.  Comparing my 3-10X42 Z3 to my 1.7-10X42 Z6i, the Z6 to my eyes has a tiny bit better resolution.  The main advantages you get with the Z6 is much larger field of view, more forgiving eye positioning, an image that literally seems to extend to the very edge of the eyepiece housing, and more robust construction via the coil spring supported erector assy.  It's an extremely easy scope to get behind and rewards you with a huge, high def view.  The Z3 is no slouch either.  In the center of the field, it's pretty comparable to the Z6; the Z6 just gives you more good stuff -- larger sweet spot, more FOV, more eye position latitude.

Whether or not it's worth the extra price premium to get those advantages is a question only the individual buyer can answer.  In optics as with most things, at some point in the price: performance ratio, the law of diminishing returns kicks in so that tiny incremental improvements come with a hefty price tag.  For many, if not most buyers, the difference between the alpha optics and the good solid mid-range stuff isn't worth the price difference.  Then again, the alpha glass isn't designed and marketed with the average consumer in mind.

I would say if you are mounting the scope on a hard recoiling rifle beyond, say .300 - .338 mag level recoil and you want premium optics, I think the Z6 is worth the extra $.  Logic (not to mention Swarovski) says it will hold up to heavier recoil much better.

Though higher price is not always an indicator of better optical performance or better durability, in this case, it is.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SpencerK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpencerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2012 at 22:53
have decided to get the Z3, 4-12x50. Now wondering if I want the 4A or BHR.  99% of my shots are under 200 yards, I hunt deep in the woods and some old logging roads.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2012 at 05:38
Go with the 4a.  If you want to go longer distances, get the ballistic turret with the 4W reticle.  Then you can tune in the distances you want.
jehu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jehu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2012 at 06:55
I have 3 Swarovski scopes with the 4A reticle and with that reticle it is very easy to get on target in very low light conditions where finer reticles can get lost in darker conditions.
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2012 at 08:23
+1 on the 4A for hunting  Smile
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic