OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon African 1-4x ....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DOGMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon African 1-4x ....
    Posted: March/11/2012 at 13:55
I just saw this scope a Nikon Monarch African 1-4x scope. Are these a good scope? As good or better then a equal a leupold ?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2012 at 16:09

If your inquiring about the 1" model there are a couple reviews at the bottom of this page.

Here's some info on the 30mm model.

Although I've never handled either one,from what I've read on many posts I'd be seriously considering one if I needed a scope of that configuration.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
LEE IN VA. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LEE IN VA. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2012 at 20:22
I wonder why those two scopes vary almost $400 and there isn't that much difference between the two?
bro.steve View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bro.steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2012 at 12:44
I think there are several variables to consider, since it may be used for dangerous game. The "roll" of the scope in terms of image curvature bothers me as I look through the one inch tube version while moving it side to side. It is not nearly as flat at the old Leupy 1.5-5 for example, and reduces the usuable field of view on a potential running shot. It will probably stand up to hard use, and hard recoil, as I have had good luck with a 1-4 Nikon in that regard. CS will be ok as well. They will be good, but good enough for me involves the whole package. JMHO Steve
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2012 at 15:49
Almost every true 1x scope I've looked through seems to have pretty bad edge distortion. Oddly, when you run it up in power a bit, it mitigates it some. My Weaver 1-3x for example, is bad at 1x, but at 1.5x, the distortion is far less noticeable.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic