OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

which one

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which one
    Posted: February/22/2006 at 01:14
great site i have learned quite a bit. I am putting a scope on my ruger 220 swift and cant decide on which one. I will be using it for yotes and prarrie dogs. I am looking at the nikon monarch 6.5-20x44 and the burris sig. select 6-24x44. i would realy like to get the best bang for the buck, any other options?  also do you think the 20 power is enough for prarrie dogs out to 400 yards. Thanks a bunch.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2006 at 20:05

20x is more than enough.  14x is probably enough also.  I'd vote for Burris Signature Select out of those two, especially if a holdover reticle is appealing to you.  Other good choices are Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40 and SIghtron S2 6.5-20x50 and 6-24x42.

Personally, I put Elite 4200 on my heavy varminter, but you can't realy go wrong with any of these.

Ilya 

catusbill View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catusbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2006 at 21:27
I too was looking for a long range scope for varmints. Just mounted a Burris FF II 4.5-14 X 42 on a Savage 10FLP .308. The Ballistic Plex is very nice for hold over. Was able to burst coke cans at 300 yards off a bench rest. If your budget is less than three hundred dollars, The model number 200183 is going for $250 - $ 270 on Ebay.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic