OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

3-9x40 New Bushnell Elite vs. Viper?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeStaten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3-9x40 New Bushnell Elite vs. Viper?
    Posted: March/09/2012 at 05:55
Price is about the same on the elite and vortex viper. Which is better in low light? Better optics? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Mike
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2012 at 12:06

I personnally like the viper's better than the elites.  To my eyes the vipers glass is a little better and eye relief stays consistent throughout magnification range, the one elite I have owned did not do that.

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2012 at 12:15
Originally posted by cpwomack cpwomack wrote:

I personnally like the viper's better than the elites.  To my eyes the vipers glass is a little better and eye relief stays consistent throughout magnification range, the one elite I have owned did not do that.

+1. Additionally, on the Elite 4200 I had, the reticle seemed to fade to "brown" and just wash out at sunset. Perhaps it was my poor eyesight, but I too prefer the Viper's.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Swamptoplains View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swamptoplains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2012 at 06:39
Mike,

I was dead set on purchasing an Elite 6500 untill I stumbled across Vortex; I opted for the PST to gain an illuminated reticle for low light hunting of hogs, Vortex has a better warranty, I love the glass, and for me the Vortex seems better made; I did go with the SFP in MOA simply because on the back of magnification indicators it gives you the ratio for conversion if you wish to use reticle for ranging, so I saved a couple hundred there

Just my thoughts, take them for what you want.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2012 at 08:23
The Viper HS models I have seen lately have had excellent images. They are also developing an great tracking reputation. Eye relief is good, too.

They back it up with great customer service.

I think the elite series is OK, but I worry about CS. Lately it sounds like Bushnell has improved in this area, though.
-Matt
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2012 at 08:36
For low light I like Trijicon accupoint the best. To me the glass is equal between Vortex and Bushnell but since I hunt in bad weather, the HD raingaurd is a plus on the Bushnell.

Eagle
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2012 at 13:01
Which version of the Bushnell Elite are you asking about? I have a 3200 model which is very nice, the image quality is good for the price range and rainguard is a really nice feature if you plan on using the rifle/scope setup in poor weather. I don't have much experience with the Vortex Viper, but I know that it has a great reputation here and I have heard that if you ever need it CS is excellent. 
-Michael
MikeStaten View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeStaten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2012 at 07:34
Elites no longer go by 3200 and 4200, I was looking at the new Elite 3-9 x 40.   It's  $250 vs. the Viper $300.  I don't mind spending the extra $50 if the glass is better. 

Then there is the question of the $299 Viper and whether it makes sense to step up to the 2.5 - 10 x 44 Viper HS which is less than $400.   
The Dude View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2012 at 01:05
I have both and cant say for sure which one I like better. I suppose it would matter to me what the rifle is chambered for...that would sway me either way more than anything else. I just ordered a 2.5-10x44 with BDC for a 300WM but have not mounted it yet so cant comment much other than it looks and feels like a pretty solid scope.
I do not like the BDC reticle myself and may try to trade it out for a standard duplex. Yes, I agree that it is pretty thin but likely good enough to make the kind of shots I would make in bad light i.e short shots. I still may mount it up and give it a shot (pun intended) we'll see....good luck. Not a bad scope in the bunch so you cant go wrong.

Josh

bro.steve View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bro.steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2012 at 12:37
Dude, are saying caliber choice because of the eye relief being a little shorter on the elite? Wonder what causes the reticles to go brown at twilight...they don't wash out or flare, do they? STeve
bro.steve View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bro.steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2012 at 13:14
BTW, I would gladly buy a 50mm elite 4200 advertised here, but I don't have enough posts to reply! (They could call me at 214-478-8050, I guess...)
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2012 at 14:46
I have a 10x40 elite tactical Bushnell and it does the same thing. Its does it alot the reticle is almost always gold colored. Hoping the SS doesn't do this. It doesn't seem to effect POI but it sure makes getting a clear reticle and blurry target hard.
Old Mil ftw
The Dude View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2012 at 19:23
Originally posted by bro.steve bro.steve wrote:

Dude, are saying caliber choice because of the eye relief being a little shorter on the elite? Wonder what causes the reticles to go brown at twilight...they don't wash out or flare, do they? STeve

Yeah, thats what im sayin'. Eye relief is shorter on the Elite than the Viper and MUCH shorter than the Viper HS. So if its going on a heavy kicker, that would seal it for me....which is why my 300WM gets a new Viper HS. I also have two 270win's that both wear Elite 3-9x40's (one 4200 and one newer version). I really dont need anything beyond those two scopes and rifles (both 270's) for anything I do but....you know how that goes. One is a Lefty Tikka T3 Lite SS/Syn and the other is a Lefty SS/Lam Ruger Hawkeye. I would be perfectly capable of hunting the rest of my life with only those two rifles but i'd never say that in front of my wife Big Grin.

Reticles go brown in most scopes when the light dims. Its pretty bad in the new Redfields and even Leupolds I have as well. The Vipers are not immune to this either. I had a Leupold 6x42 with Heavy Duplex that was fantastic when the lights went out and the single Zeiss Conquest I had was pretty decent in dimm light as well.

Bottom line is nothing is perfect in low light because there are so many variables, how low of light are we talking, what is the exit pupil and quality of glass on the scope and what type of reticle - wire or etched, thin, medium or heavy duplex or other, what is the background, what power is the scope set two, how far away is the object you looking at, etc, etc.
I have yet to have any issues with the Elites or the Vipers related to lack of light, granted I've only had them for a few years. Hell, any of the scopes mentioned here are exponentially better than the old Redfields and Weavers and Leupolds my dad I used back when I started hunting and we never had any issues even back then 25-30 years ago.
In reality all three are very nice scopes that I am happy to own and grateful for the quality and selection we have in optics today compared to when I was a kid.

Regards,

Josh

Edited by The Dude - March/15/2012 at 19:40
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2012 at 07:48
Originally posted by The Dude The Dude wrote:

Bottom line is nothing is perfect in low light because there are so many variables,
Trijicon Accupoints are pretty closeWink
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
lumberjack149 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumberjack149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2012 at 09:29

BTW, I would gladly buy a 50mm elite 4200 advertised here, but I don't have enough posts to reply!

haha, now that explains your bombardment of posts over the last 24hrs. You could have just shot the persons a PM. 
On another note, ive been wondering when looking at some used bushnells on whether the lifetime warranty transfers. I looked on their website but couldnt find the exact answer i was looking for.     

Brad4213 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2012 at 21:12
Originally posted by lumberjack149 lumberjack149 wrote:

BTW, I would gladly buy a 50mm elite 4200 advertised here, but I don't have enough posts to reply!

haha, now that explains your bombardment of posts over the last 24hrs. You could have just shot the persons a PM. 
On another note, ive been wondering when looking at some used bushnells on whether the lifetime warranty transfers. I looked on their website but couldnt find the exact answer i was looking for.     

i was wondering why he commented on everything over night lol, that would definitely explain it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic