OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - SS 1-4x illumination brightness under sun light
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS 1-4x illumination brightness under sun light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maverickar15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS 1-4x illumination brightness under sun light
    Posted: March/08/2012 at 11:57
Does anybody have issue seeing illuminated donut in outdoors in very bright day? I used mine out couple times in the range and I can barely see the illumination at 11 setting, and it was more like dark reddish color instead of bright red. This is Colorado so sun is really bright out here.

Here is an example. 

Indoors I can pick up the red just fine, and at night anything more than 8 is too bright. I was wondering if I had too much light coming directly through the scope had something to do with the apparently dim illumination.
maverickar15 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maverickar15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2012 at 11:59
Image seems to be broken..lets see if this works.

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2012 at 12:40
Why would you need an illuminated reticle in bright sunlight?
An Illuminated reticle is for low light conditions, where you have trouble seeing the reticle, but can identify your target with the scope.
It sounds like your scope is functioning properly. However, if you think there is a problem with the illuminatin, contact SWFA.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
maverickar15 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maverickar15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2012 at 14:54
I've used an 4x ACOG before, so I'm used to having illumination in the day light. 

I just wanted to see if other people have trouble seeing illumination directly under the sun light. It works just fine indoors or other low-light situations.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2012 at 15:11
I'm assuming your ACOG has the fiber optic illumination as well as the tritium.
Many people will put tape over the fiber optic in bright sunlight, so that the reticle doesn't become to bright and wash out the reticle making it difficult to distinguish the aiming point (chevron or cross hair).
The ACOG I use, just has the tritium illuminator, so in normal and bright light, it's just a black cross hair. In low light the tritium illuminates the cross hair. No complaints.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
michigan blaster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michigan blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2012 at 19:41
A illuminated reticle with a circle is faster for 3 gun especially for closer targets. Blaster
Blaster
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic