OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

TPS or Burris XTR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zardozwildman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TPS or Burris XTR
    Posted: March/05/2012 at 10:18
I just purchased a new scope for my AR.
Trying to choose between TPS or Burris XTR rings.
The Burris rings seems a bit wider. And I see they now have a detachable version.

Any suggestions?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 10:41
I would get a mount built for an AR.  Regular rings will not typically give you the eye relief you need with an AR.

I would look at these.  The Bobro (first one) is an excellent mount and will be better than the other.  But the SS mount is a decent mount.

http://swfa.com/Bobro-Mounts-C3282.aspx  Not sure if you need 1 inch or 30mm.  Get the slightly forward version.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SSALT-30mm-Scope-Mount-P47828.aspx

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
zardozwildman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zardozwildman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 12:03
The AR currently has the old style RRA mount (1.7" height).
The eye relief is fine without a cantilever mount. Which is why I was mentioning rings.
I'll be using a 1" tube on the new rings.
One thing I noticed is that Burris works with both Weaver and Picatinny. Which implies they made Weaver rings in order to fit both specs.
TPS seems to have their fitted for each spec.
Looks like there could be a 2-4 week wait on the TPS. So maybe I'll have to go with Burris.

RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 12:03
+1 on AR mount. The SS one is pretty good.
Old Mil ftw
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 12:23
I too concur with super t and the Bobro mount. If your thinking of swapping scope around, this would be an excellent set up. 

TPS is top tier scope ring, if you decide to go that way, but for switching, I'd go with a one piece mount. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zardozwildman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 12:46
That would make scope height about 1.5".
How'd you deal with the height issue?
Add a 1/2 inch cheek pad to the stock?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 12:48
Originally posted by zardozwildman zardozwildman wrote:

That would make scope height about 1.5".
How'd you deal with the height issue?
Add a 1/2 inch cheek pad to the stock?

For what? The Bobro mount? 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 12:54
Is your RRA mount fixed to the upper?  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zardozwildman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 12:57
Yep. My old RRA mount is 1.7" scope height.
Regarding scope height, I'm talking to center of tube.
Rifle has an A2 stock on it. In that setup, scope is about .5-.7 inches too high.
Have to use a cheek pad with it.

From what I've read, the Bobro is 1.535 high. So I assume I'd still need the cheek pad.
Thanks for the posts. Really helpful

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zardozwildman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 12:58
The RRA is not fixed to the upper. It's the old style mount that Rock River first came out with.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zardozwildman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 13:00
Guess I should mention I built the rifle from a J&T bull barrel kit.
Would think it's a standard upper. But maybe it has a bit more rail going forward than what you guys have.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 14:54
Ah...I didn't see that initially. I 'm sorry. 

Here's a pic (much posted here, sorry), of a SS 1-4x scope in a Bobro, slightly forward mount on my AR.
Also works perfect with a 10x SS. Might not work with your rifle. You might be so inclined to use regular rings?? 
I guess I'm not sure what yours looks like.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 14:55
Oh, and welcome to Optics Talk. Big Grin
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 23:29
 zardozwildman   Are you running a RR EOP upper like this one. or do you have a standard A4 upper like Cheaptricks above?

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zardozwildman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2012 at 00:44
My rifle is a flattop upper with A2 stock, and bull barrel.
Here's an old image with my RRA mount installed.
The scope is back further than cheaptrick's because it's not a cantilever mount.
I know the eye relief can be an issue for some people in this case, but not for me.
However, the mount is quite high (1.7").Rifle built from J&T kit
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zardozwildman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2012 at 22:56
I used some cheap rings to help me determine minimum scope height I'd need.
Along with some calipers to get a good measurement.
I originally hoped I could use something like TPS rings, which support .985 and 1.185 heights.
Looks like anything below 1.200 is way too low. Something around 1.2 to 1.3 would be ideal.
Any higher on this gun would require a cheek pad. The Bobro would be 1.575.
I couldn't find a good selection of rings between 1.200 and 1.350. Except from Burris.
Burris makes XTRs with a height around 1.250. They aren't too expensive, so I ordered some today.
If it doesn't work out, that's fine. I'll get a Bobro later.

I'll just be glad when I get rid of that old RRA lower. RRA was selling them at Knob Creek for $40, so I thought I'd try it out. That was back when they were first making them. I must've got a dud.

Boxerglocker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxerglocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2012 at 09:38
Depending on the scope used don't forget to take into account the eye relief and clearance issues you may have with the Bobro if using a switchview. I had a extended Bobro for my Vortex PST 1-4 but found that I couldn't mount a switchview cause of clearances being too tight. The switchview would hit the base of the mount. I switched to a Larue Lt104 and all is good plenty of clearance. You shouldn't have an issue with the standard SWFA Bobro but just a FYI.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2012 at 09:57
I have not tried the Bobro mount but have tried the Larue and the American Defense.  I would suggest you look at the AD here:

http://swfa.com/American-Defense-AD-RECON-1-Scope-Mount-P46604.aspx
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2012 at 22:42
For me one piece mounts work best on ARs, but everyone is a little different.  If you figured out the ring height that works for you, go with that.

If you decide to go with separate rings and you are choosing between TPS and Burris, I strongly recommend going with TPS.  The workmanship on the TPS is much better on the Burris rings (I have a few sets of each).

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic