OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Energy (ft/lb)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 00:17
I really need to get on this darn thing at more respectable times, IMHO the Glock 23 is one, if not, The best combat handgun, I've posted that before here somewhere. But I'll say it again, and NO I don't own stock. (note to self : WHY NOT?)  If I'm out, thats whats on my hip. though the 1911 is still a strong workhorse. 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 01:26
I like Glocks quite a bit and 23 is quite nice, but that really depends on what you mean by a combat handgun.  If it is something you have to carry concealed, Glock 23 is not a bad compromise between size, controllability and firepower.  If it is a bedstand gun, than I prefer somethin a little bigger that is more controllable and easier to point.  For that application, concealability is not important.  Where I live, getting a concealed carry license is as likely as winning a lottery without buying a lottery ticket.  I might only carry it when I am out in the boonies somewhere camping or hiking.  That usually means that I can comfortably carry a full size handgun like my Glock 31 or Sig P220.  That having been said, if I were to move out of California to the free world (Texas, for example), I'd probably get a micro-Glock of some sort (Glock 33 most likely).

ILya
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 01:51

Ya Bro.

I'm a naitive of San Gabriel Valley, haven't lived there in over 20 years, I have visited, but no way am I ever moving back. Gulf Shores may not have Huntingtons or Redondos waves, but the waters warmer , and the beaches are nicer. After 20 years away my family thinks I'm starting to talk funny anyway.( Y'all, ain't right! ) The 23 just does well for me and it doesn't smack my forearm when I'm walking. I know thats more the rig that the gun but it all fits nice and it has the knockdown power that is IMHO a must with anything your betting your life on. its size is also a factor, its large enough to get a good grip on and small enough to draw with one hand while the other is keeping clothing out of the way. 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 02:06
I lived in Pasadena for fourr years while going to Caltech.  I am over in Ventura now (work in Santa Barbara).  I assure you that the neither weather nor the beach would keep me here any longer than it takes to pack and move.  There other factors in play, but I may still be moving elsewhere in 2-3 years.

ILya
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2006 at 07:49

Well, I have to agree with a couple of you, checked out an XD....it was the most awkward handgun I've ever put in my hands. We'll probably go with a "baby Glock" for her to carry, no manual safeties, just point and shoot. (Please don't take that as my philosophy, I was just putting it in a nut-shell.)

On another note.....what is your opinion about keeping clip-fed handguns or rifles in "Condition 1"? Do you load your magazines to maximum capacity & leave them? Do you periodically unload them? How does this affect the strength of the magazine spring in terms of reliable feeding?

When I kept a Ruger Mini-14 beside of my bed, I would load a 30rnd. clip with 20rnds max & I made it a habit of unloading it for a while and rotating clips. Is this overkill or smart thinking? When I was in the military (peace-time) we never loaded a clip to the max (we stopped 3 rnds. short) unless we were going to discharge them immediately or a chance you would need to discharge immediately.

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2006 at 08:06
Same training, same program, I have 13+1 capacity but load 11+1 and 12 in my second mag. as well. In real world you don't need to have a lot ammo, the odds are your not going fire that many rounds in a civilian shooting engagement. Thinking about it, that a lot of extra weight to tote around in a purse, your wife may develop bigger biceps than you, that wouldn't be good.        Go light, she be more inclined to not take the thing if it is to heavy. 
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2006 at 15:16

If the pistol is not ready to point and shoot as you put it, even if the thing has a loaded magazine in it without a round in the pipe, it's an expensive paper weight.  Rotation of mag's is good practice.  Just a question did she pick up the XD.  If it's akward for you it might not be akward for her.  If it's for her it needs to feel good in her hands not yours.  I know a few women that would rather have a wheelgun.  Have her look at those too.  Lady Smith's are real nice, and the S&W Bodyguards are light and small.  There are some pretty hot .38 Special self defense rounds out there.  They fit in a pocket better than auto's and come out of them better as well.

Fight Smarter
Not Harder
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2006 at 15:52

All my carry pieces are left in condition 1.

All the time, unless I'm cleaning them, or at a class or a shoot where we must clear all weapons.

Changing out magazines, as Mithran eluded to is a good pracatice(most Marines I know would agree)  is a good practice, but I do not. I'm lazy.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2006 at 07:29
Originally posted by Mithran Mithran wrote:

If the pistol is not ready to point and shoot as you put it, even if the thing has a loaded magazine in it without a round in the pipe, it's an expensive paper weight.  Rotation of mag's is good practice.  Just a question did she pick up the XD.  If it's akward for you it might not be akward for her.  If it's for her it needs to feel good in her hands not yours.  I know a few women that would rather have a wheelgun.  Have her look at those too.  Lady Smith's are real nice, and the S&W Bodyguards are light and small.  There are some pretty hot .38 Special self defense rounds out there.  They fit in a pocket better than auto's and come out of them better as well.

I wouldn't even think of NOT chambering a round. You misunderstood my statement.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic