OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

need binoc opinions/help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony219er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need binoc opinions/help
    Posted: March/03/2012 at 18:05
Hey y'all, forum virgin here. Anyways i'm looking for some opinions on selecting some good quality binocs, i just bought a pair of Vortex Talon HDs in 10x42 and they're nice,( I've 60 days to decide to keep them or not) but im sure theirs something better for the money ($405). My limit is $600, I generally hunt the Midwestern big game animals from stands, blinds and shooting towers...some spot and stalk. I'm kind of partial to Vortex b/c of the warranty, but am open to suggestions from all you experts. Thanks in advance, Tony.
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 18:15
Nice binos you got there I have some Vortex Diamondbacks 8x42's and I love em. I'd say stay with what you got. I'm a Midwesterner myself!
Old Mil ftw
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 18:18
If you like them, keep them.  There IS nothing better for the money.  There are several others that I'd say the same thing about if you had one of them too.  Keep, 'em, use 'em, and enjoy 'em.

You have to go 3-4x the money to improve much, then you still have a debate.

They are two steps above the Diamondback already.

Welcome to OT.  There might be an opinion or two lurking around here Smile.

Edited by Klamath - March/03/2012 at 18:23
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Tony219er View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony219er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 18:27
Thanks for the replies guys, yeah they were def sharper and brighter than the d'backs (which are nice for the money), the Viper HDs were a touch better than the Talons too...man do I WANT those Razors! holy cow those are nice. keep the opinions coming.
Tony219er View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony219er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 18:31
Another question, will I notice a difference optically going from 10x42 to the 8x42? Whats the thoughts on those different magnifications? 
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 18:38
The 8x42 will be brighter in low light than the 10x42.  So that means you need to decide if
you would like that as an advantage.  For viewing well under 1/2 mile, the 8x42 will be a good
choice.  Longer views the 10x42 will be better.

Jerry

Tony219er View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony219er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 19:47
Will the advantage in low light be noticed? These Talons seem to be pretty bright in low light, im now wondering if the 8x would be better b/c I'll be able to hold them steadier (not that I can't with the 10x) with a harness.

Any other suggestions on binoc brands/models?
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 19:58
The 8 vs. 10 is the never-ending question.  Both are suitably bright for low light glassing with exit pupil over 4mm.  Some have trouble steadying 8x, some don't.  I have some of both and feel handicapped by neither.  The 8s have enough magnification, and I can hold 10s steady enough.
-Matt
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 21:51
Originally posted by Tony219er Tony219er wrote:

Thanks for the replies guys, yeah they were def sharper and brighter than the d'backs (which are nice for the money), the Viper HDs were a touch better than the Talons too...man do I WANT those Razors! holy cow those are nice. keep the opinions coming.
At least wait until the new Razor HD is ready (maybe it is, I have not looked lately).  I had an original Razor HD for awhile and initially thought it might be the last binocular I'd need.  I wound up eventually selling it because it did not measure up in the long run.  While I had it, I bet I showed it to over two dozen people, alongside the ZEN ED 3 and Kruger Caldera.  Not one single solitary soul showed a definite preference for the Razor HD.  The Talon HD is pretty similar side by side to the ZEN ED 2.  About the only way to tell them apart is to look at the label.  I tend to think that the original Razor HD was going second fiddle to the Talon HD and hence Vortex changed it.
However, you show some early signs of optics infatuation...abandon all hope all ye who enter here Big Smile.

The 8x vs 10x is a strictly personal decision, and you will have to decide that one for yourself.  I actually prefer 7x with 8x a close second and 10x a more distant fourth.  Third in my book would be 8.5x.  So if 7x is not an  option, I'm going 8x and not worrying one tiny little bit I may be missing some detail.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Tony219er View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony219er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 22:08
Wow! I would never think the Talon could touch the Razor...being such a price difference, almost $800, is the original Razor Hd the one that looks basically like the Talon? The new Razor being a single hinge? Not the open bridge design? Thanks so much for your help.
Tony219er View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony219er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 22:59
Ok Klamath, I think i just found the feal i was looking for, 2011 Vortex Razor HD 10x42 for $800 new in box! I'm pumped.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 23:10
Originally posted by Tony219er Tony219er wrote:

Wow! I would never think the Talon could touch the Razor...being such a price difference, almost $800, is the original Razor Hd the one that looks basically like the Talon? The new Razor being a single hinge? Not the open bridge design? Thanks so much for your help.
Don't get that wrong, I think the Razor is a better binocular.  Yeah, the one that is open bridge like the Talon.  But you mention $800 more.  That is PRECISELY the problem.  If you delve into optics as a hobby and develop the ability to dissect images, then yes, there is a difference in quality as price goes up.  The thing is the "sweet spot" in price vs quality these days lies from $400 to maybe $700.  After that, the maybe percent or two difference is so minute in relation to the price you pay, it sort of becomes a more or less philosophical question.  Personally I am a cheapskate at heart and there is, in all likelihood, no way in the world I'd ever fork over $2k for ONE binocular.  Others get some pride and peace of mind in knowing their gear is from the very best level.  Fine by me.  Again like magnification, how much you want to spend on your gear is your call too. 

But if you can't see it with your Talon HD, you won't see it with a Swarovski or other top end glass either.  It is good enough that the difference is the eyes behind the glass and your ability to observe and see things.  If you don't have a concept of what an antler tip in a grass field looks like, you won't see squat till you get that experience.
Steve

Tony219er View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony219er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2012 at 16:49
Thanks for everyone's thoughts, I ended up exchanging the Talons for the Viper HD's in 8x42 and couldn't be happier, these things are amazing! 
Ski View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2012 at 17:12
New to the site - anyone use the Vortex 10x50 viper tacticals? Less expensive to laser range finders, but still appears to get you in the zone on deer/elk. Any thoughts? Thanks for your replies in advance.
Tony219er View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony219er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2012 at 17:37
I have no experience with ranging recticles on nocs, but they work well on some scopes and the Viper HD's are awesome binocs. Good luck to you. I'd say start a new thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic