OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

12x mid-priced binoculars?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3 Tuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12x mid-priced binoculars?
    Posted: March/03/2012 at 08:14
  I am looking for a pair of 12x binoculars.  It will be a gift and I want to stick to the $500 - $600 price range or less ($400 would be just fine!).  Roof or porro does not make any difference, but it would be nice if the weight was in the 30 oz. or under range.

The end user wears glasses and uses Swarovski 8x binoculars for most of her birdwatching.

For my own use I usually carry Swarovski binoculars, but they are far over the price range for this.

RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 11:41
Vortex makes good stuff I have 8x42 Diamondbacks and they are superb. They make a 12x50 Diamondback or in your price range they have the Viper HD! And vortex's VIP warranty will cover your friend as well.
Old Mil ftw
3 Tuns View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3 Tuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 12:37
  Not quite what I had in mind.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 13:27
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

3 Tuns View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3 Tuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 13:47
  Those look good, too bad I can't give a used item as a gift.  Thanks.
robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 13:59
Originally posted by 3 Tuns 3 Tuns wrote:

Those look good, too bad I can't give a used item as a gift.  Thanks.
Why not?
3 Tuns View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3 Tuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 14:23
  It is birthday (a big one) gift from my wife and myself - to the wife of a close friend.  Used binoculars wouldn't really be appropriate, even though they look like a nice pair.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 17:06
Originally posted by 3 Tuns 3 Tuns wrote:

I am looking for a pair of 12x binoculars.

The end user wears glasses and uses Swarovski 8x binoculars for most of her birdwatching.

Canon 12x36 Image Stabilizer Binoculars
3 Tuns View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3 Tuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2012 at 10:52
  The Canon IS  may be the ticket.  I would like to consider as many viable options as possible.  Any other  binoculars to consider (Leupold,etc)?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2012 at 11:46
Any of the Leupold Green Ring series (to me at least) have the effect of a very narrow, tunnel vision view.  The image is good enough, but it looks like you are looking through a porthole from the far side of the cabin.

Your problem is satisfying a Swaro owner with a lesser instrument.  May not be in the cards, even if your heart is sure in the right place.

I got a look at these last month, while not real expensive, they sure looked like a good binocular.

Since this is a good friend, it may be worth it to order a couple of different ones from someplace with a good 30-day return policy and look them over yourself and see if they "look good enough" to you.

I second the Canon 12x36 IS too, this is a real nice binocular as well.  The IS feature really works too.

Edited by Klamath - March/04/2012 at 11:53
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

3 Tuns View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3 Tuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2012 at 12:35
  Thanks for the help guys.  I had better do some leg work, but it is good to have a starting point.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2012 at 13:33
You're welcome. Looker
3 Tuns View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3 Tuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2012 at 10:14
  I ended up going over budget and we gave her the Canon IS.  She really seemed to like them after she played around with the button for a while.  I could read distant signs with them with the IS on that were just fuzzy images without it.
  They didn't look like they would hold up as hunting binoculars in rough country, but they looked like great for birding.

Thanks again guys.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic