OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

A Shot In The Dark

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2014 at 10:11
good grief!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2014 at 13:43
How did the old guy make it?

BF that is!!!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2014 at 17:49
armed mad and cussing..... v I'm thinking....  and heading in the other! Wink
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2014 at 22:27
Actually he scampered down the side of the hill like a squirrel after a nut.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2014 at 04:13
Big Grin
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2014 at 06:06
That was ON the way down  to shoot naturally....   it's the climb back up afterwards that kills....
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2014 at 09:22
OK, 3_tens did embellish just a little about the Hole (I think). And I caught all kinds of grief from the other members for not providing 3_tens with shooting gear and letting him shoot (at least I didn't catch grief for having a non-member at a night shoot). Also after looking at my scores, I have to conclude that besides more practice, I need to look at my equipment again.
I had planned on using a different pistol and light for this match, but I discovered at the last minute that the light I planned on using needed some repair, and since everything is holster specific, I was stuck with gear I'm not really happy with. While I MAY stick with the same pistol, the sights and lights have got to change; I'm going to ditch the grip switch too. Since I'll probably have until April before the next match, I'll have time to fine tune my sights and maybe add a new light and laser combo.
The other thing I learned, I already knew about Glocks. When using rail mounted accessories on a Gen. 3 Glock, make sure you use Gen. 3 magazines; otherwise you could have a failure to feed.
Night shoots are a load of fun and they certainly add a new challenge and learning curve to a match. Even though I sucked at the last match from my own perspective, I know I have been better in the past and right now I'm blaming my equipment.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2014 at 11:05
at least you didn't blame poor old Lile....
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2014 at 11:55
Lile would have just put me one spot further down the listSad
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2014 at 12:00
  My shooting ability wouldn't drop you a notch. Not in the last 15 years anyway. In a pressure situation accuracy beats speed in most cases. You didn't waste that many rounds.

It is impossible for me to imagine that the Navy used this area to test fire 16" guns.  Closed in as you are in those narrow valleys. Talk about mega concussion. It would be almost enough pressure to cause your toe nails to pop off.

Edited by 3_tens - November/24/2014 at 12:05

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2014 at 12:13
They were 14" guns. It was also back in the late 30s early 40s I think, and it wasn't nearly as populated. Anyway there were some consequences as windows were blown out and wells dried up for a time, for the few homes that were in the area.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2015 at 08:30
Well the Streamlight TLR-2G finally came in yesterday. I only had an hour to play with it, but so far I like it. While I'm not ready to give a full review of it, I will have to say the light is plenty bright and I love the green laser. I mounted it on 2 different Glocks and the laser was right on for a 25yd zero without having to adjust it. The on/off switch was easy to use like the Insight switch. The function switch was a little small and hard to get to when mounted, but that may be a good thing. My biggest concern is the operating temperature limits of the laser. 32* is the lower limit of the laser and the first night match I ever shot was on a cold February night and 22* was the temp when I shot. It's not that big of a deal, but it is a limitation.
Overall I like it and I think it will help, but time will tell.

Now if I can get the sights right.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2015 at 08:59
Using the laser for trigger control training is the best side effect for using the laser. One of the shooters at Knob Creek had a green laser. It was easy to see his lack of control by the dip then move to the right as he pulled the trigger before each shot. Dry fire practice using a laser can really help correct bad form. Next time you go show them how it is done. Good Luck Show off your skill. Smile

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2015 at 11:34
Well we FINALLY got around to having another 3-gun night match that I could attend. We had to have it on the main range because half the Hole was flooded and It wouldn't have been safe to shoot down there. This was actually a good thing because courses could be stretched out, especially for the rifle course. We also had to be a little creative with our targets since no one wanted to run down to the Hole and drag up target stands in 90*+ heat. We used paper plates stapled to the cardboard target stands that Knob Creek Range (KCR) uses for targets for pistol and rifle. We used clay birds for shotgun targets. We also only had 2 stages, since that's all we could run at the same time on the same range and maintain safety.
The rifle or pistol only stage started off as a slalom that you had to move through and shoot targets on the move then you came to a stop point and engaged targets from 5 to 35 yards. There was a total of 23 targets and each paper plate (the target) required 2 shots to be neutralized. The pistol/shotgun course had 7 paper plate targets that required 2 shots each and 6 clay birds at about 15 to 20 yards that had to be broke to count. You started with the pistol and engaged a target at about 3yds then moved to another position with another target along the way then engaged the remaining pistol targets. You then either continued with the pistol and shot the clay birds or you grounded your pistol and picked up your staged shotgun and engaged the birds.

The rifle and shotgun were set up the same as before. My pistol was wearing a different light this time. I was using a Streamlight TRG-2 with a green laser.
The pistol, light/laser was an unexpected improvement. I had sighted the laser in at 50yds a couple of weeks ago and hadn't messed with it since. When I started the stage I just turned the light/laser on and left it on. The first target I used my sights and maybe the second, but somewhere I realized I was just looking over the pistol at where the laser was pointing and pressed the trigger. It must have worked; I shot that stage clean too.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2015 at 12:51
Things I'm learning (OK, I'm really confirming what I already suspected) from playing with this laser: In daylight the laser is of little use over conventional sights. Your trying to see a very small dot at distance when it's faster and more precise to just line up the sights. In low light the laser/light combo is faster than conventional sights with a mounted light. It's easier to find that bright little dot on a target when your pointing a mounted light at it than it is to find and align the sights with a mounted light. Of course trigger control is still important.
I still have more research to do.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2015 at 05:46
I need to get a laser for trigger training.

I wonder if snap-cap based laser is accurate enough for that.  I would think so or at least it will show you POI movement during trigger squeeze.... and thats exactly what I have always fought with...
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2015 at 05:49
I hope the snap cap laser will work and I can find one in 9mm luger.  That way i can train with all my 5 of my 9mms.... Loco
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2015 at 06:20
I got Lori a LaserLyte training system for Christmas.  She really likes it... except the fact that it burns batteries so quickly.  I use it... good trainer.  Definitely works on your trigger control. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2015 at 07:04
Wow, thats exactly what I'm talking about.  Love the target with memory too!

I'm going to get this system.  Since I have 5 9mms all of different size and grip angle this system will allow me to practice with them all.   Batteries won't be an issue...Wink
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2017 at 08:23
Been a while since I've shot a night match, but I finally got to shoot another match last week. As always, I learn things at these matches, and this one was no exception.
Our first stage was the biggest eye opener. You started in the prone position with 3 targets 100yds away, next you had to fight your way past a bunch of targets (20 plus at at least) to get to your shotgun and engage 6 clays on the ground and one thrown in the air.
Now here are the 2 things I learned on this stage.
First: with my big 600 lumen weapon mounted light I had no problem seeing the 100yd targets with my scope set at 3X; that is until the first 2 rounds were fired and kicked up all kinds of dust. The second target was still visible, but to make sure I got the rounds on target I fired 3 rounds, kicking up even more dust, and I had to wait until the dust cleared enough to engage the third target. Lesson learned, make sure your muzzle brake doesn't blow gas downward so dust wont get kicked up obscuring your view.
Second: I was putting 1, 2, or 3 rounds on each of the 20 plus target as I hurriedly walked past them to make sure I got at least 1 round in the A-zone or 2 on target when the magazine ran dry. Tried to do a magazine change (like I've done a thousand times), but I could not get that magazine to go into the mag well. It took several tries before the mag went in, and that ate up more time than I wanted. Lesson learned there was flared mag wells may not be a gimmick; even if you can find the mag well blindfolded.
Everything else went pretty smooth. Even made a magazine change with the pistol with no issues.
I do love shooting these night matches, even if I do feel like I took an ass whoopin in the mornin.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic