OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Selection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Selection
    Posted: February/29/2012 at 11:48
I need help in choosing a scope for a new rifle I am having built.  The rifle will be used for hunting and target shooting to 500 yards, caliber is 308.  I really want to keep the low end magnification around 2.5 to 3 and the upper below 15, would like mil/mil.  I am torn between the SS 3-9 and this Weaver Scope:

http://swfa.com/Weaver-3-15x50-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P49448.aspx

My budget is up to $1000.

Thanks
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 12:00
Both have decent followings.  Both will serve your needs.  I like the ss 3-9, its my favorite scope I've ever used, it just so well rounded.  If eye relief, overall lenght, FOV about the same, weight advantage goes to the SS.   No focus on the SS, not needed really.  No illumination either, if that matters to you.  both are FFP.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 12:08
The only thing I like about the Weaver over the SS besides the magnification range is the locking turrets but that may be mute point since I have never hunted with exposed turrets and the one review I just read stated that the SS turrets wouldn't move.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 12:14
they wont, until you want them to and actually do it they stay put.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 12:24
Thanks SVT, I may wait awhile and see what SWFA comes out with later but am chomping at the bit to get everything in order so I can got to the range as soon as the rifle is done.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 12:37
I think you'd be happy with either.............. but keep this in mind.  the SS's hold their value better on trade and resell if you decide later you want to swap at least right now I've noticed that.  Just a helpful hint to cloud your judgement. 
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 12:41
Truth be told, I would be trading in a 6x42 SS in on whatever I get.  Like the scope but need a variable with a low end, 3 of the 4 deer I tagged this year were shot between 25 and 50 yards.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 13:00
Did you stab them with the barrel? LOL jk Yeah 6x is a lot inside of 50 yards and as SVT said you will be happy with either choice. They are both good scopes.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 13:06
Nope, I shot them with my TC Venture in 308, it wears a Vortex Viper 2-7 that I got from SWFA.  The new rifle will become my main hunting rifle and the will get put into the back-up position.  All three were shot in a matter 1 to 2 minutes, shot the first doe, they other two hung around so I dropped them too.  We have very liberal limits on does in middle Tennessee, 3 a day, makes filling the freezer easier.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 13:09
CFII In the thick cover of most of Tennessee woods that is about all you can see much of the time.

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 13:11
I was just giving him a hard time. It actually isn't that uncommon down here either especially with Coyotes and hogs coming to bait or a call.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 13:54
I know! I was at Teds. Where that Big hog fell, about 10 feet was all you could see.  Bucky
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 15:00
The real funny thing is that they afternoon before I shot those three does I killed an eight point from the same stand but the shot was closer to 150.  Thanks for all the advice, should have a 3-9 coming my way as soon as I box up my trades.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 15:09
Will the butler creek's for the 6x42 SS fit the 3-9 SS?
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 15:13
The objective will but the eyepiece requires you changing from a 20EYE to a 14EYE.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic