OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

shotgun bore cleaner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shotgun bore cleaner
    Posted: February/28/2012 at 21:42
Picked up a used Rem. 870 Express today  (no Weatherby I guess) and I did a bad thing.  Forgot to check the bore... I know I know - should have know better.... anyway, bore is bad and I can't get it clean with either Hoppe's #9 or Birchwood Casey 2-in-1 Bore Cleaner.  I'm afraid it's rust but so far I don't see any rust on the patches....  just the black stuff you normally see. 

I've used a brush and a patch.  Brush alone.... woolly pad with patch.  Not sure if it's just a matter of not enough pressure, like you get with a jag in a rifle bore or just some nasty stuff.  Was thinking of giving that foaming cleaner a try.

Any suggestions for "removing the crud" would be appreciated! 
take em!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2012 at 22:21
Take a cordless drill and chuck a Hoppies type cleaning rod (w/o the handle naturally) with a Tornado brush and some Montana Extreme. If that don't work, buy a new barrel.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 07:21
run about 1/2 box of steel shot loads through, changing the chokes if it has screw ins. then all you will have to clean up is the chambers, In any case it doesn't matter it is mainly cosmetic. If the bore is pitted, however especially around thescrew in chokes, if it has them, you may need to replace as Roy suggests.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 07:47
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Take a cordless drill and chuck a Hoppies type cleaning rod (w/o the handle naturally) with a Tornado brush and some Montana Extreme. If that don't work, buy a new barrel.

I have that Tornado brush and it works pretty well on my shotgun, but I've never let my barrel get too dirty either. 
It's REALLY aggressive and if it couldn't clean out that barrel, I'd opt to replace it any way because it's probably pitted all to hell.    
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 08:16
well... I think I have some good news based on what folks have written above.  The problem area is not towards the end of the barrel where the choke tube is and there is no pitting.  So probably be okay.

Gonna pickup a tornado brush today.  Steel shot is a possibility as well.  I knew this was the place to ask!

Thanks.
take em!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 09:13
I may have some steel shot I can send you Tip if you need it.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 09:40
thanks for the offer SVT, mighty kind of you!  I have steel shot left over from goose hunting.
take em!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2012 at 09:46
10-4 I use to duck hunt but dont' anymore so I have some from that.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2012 at 22:56
broke the tornado on the very first pass.  tried to back it out because I didn't have long enough rod to make it out the end.  Damn.  not looking good - foaming bore solvent didn't help a bit. 
take em!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2012 at 05:30
Holy Christmas, Tip!! Shocked
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2012 at 09:30
hmmm. might take a whole box of steel shot.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2012 at 14:31
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

hmmm. might take a whole box of steel shot.

or some C-4
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 21:01
Update - bore is 80-90% better!  Was pretty worried it was "pitted" but now thinking it's going to turn-out ok.  Shot less than a box of steel through it and that along with the Tornado brush is slowing making an impact. 

Can't quite figure out how it got to this state.  Rest of gun looks hardly used.  Only marks on barrel are from what looks like wear marks from a gun rack... like in the back window of a pickup.  The action is very stiff, so don't think it's been "pumped" much. 
take em!
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 23:08
That is probably lead deposits. Not very common since they came out with the plastic shot cups to contain the shot. If the owner of that shotgun shot a lot of older shells, or reloaded without using the shot cups lead fowling can start leading to a problem..  In days gone by, lead fowling was common problem in shotguns of owners without a consistent cleaning schedule. After the invention of the plastic shot cups around 1960, this problem has all but disappeared. A ball od sreel wool will work better removing lead than a brush. A brush will just make furrows in the soft lead. The steel wool's longer strands will shave the soft lead off the wall of the barrel. 
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2012 at 08:38
Run a Kroil- soaked patch through bore and let 'er sit a spell... if that won't do it...

Don't let the Kroil anywhere near your wood, though.
Don't ask me how I know that.
(your stock and forearm)

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2012 at 09:27
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

...... A ball od sreel wool will work better removing lead than a brush. A brush will just make furrows in the soft lead. The steel wool's longer strands will shave the soft lead off the wall of the barrel. 

I think I've seen Mr. Potterfield do this to a real nice O/U.
take em!
bro.steve View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bro.steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2012 at 22:45
Use a just enough brush to touch the sides of the barrel and add 0000 steel wool wrapped around it. The drill will turn it will oil or solvent and will both clean and burnish the metal. I do it EVERY time I clean and have no plastic residue or anything else. If it needs a little honing with stones or the flexhone with the abrasive balls, it isn't rocket science. Order online and get equipped. Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic