OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Undecided on Scope for AR15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2012 at 20:03
Originally posted by FireEMT5 FireEMT5 wrote:

I'm running a SS 3-9x42 on my S&W MP15 AR.  It worked just fine out deer hunting this past November.

Give a SS scope a try.  Once you do, you'll see for yourself that you'll be hard pressed to get any other comparable scope for the same money.

Here's a pic of the SS mounted on my AR - the mount is a GG&G FLT mount.

did you kill any deer with your AR? Hod did it work? I assume its a 223?
Dont take yourself to seriously
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2012 at 20:11
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Welcome to Optics Talk. 

I just got the Leupold VX-R 3-9x Fire Dot and so far, it's been a nice scope, for the $$$. Haven't hunted with it yet, but I have taken it out at dusk and rainy weather and messed around with it. 
I think it will work well for a hunting scope. Reticle is slim enough to shoot groups too. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2012 at 20:32
That scope looks BEAUTIFUL on that rifle! Good choice... Bet you cant wait to hunt with it. 
Dont take yourself to seriously
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2012 at 21:23
Originally posted by dadex11 dadex11 wrote:

Looks good but out of my original list... what would you choose?

I would pick this one because I dial in correction for long range but it may not be the best choice for you if you dont know what to do with the tactical knobs.
Vortex 2.5-10x44 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope Vortex 2.5-10x44 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - PST210S1M
  • Matte
  • EBR-1 Mil Reticle
  • 30mm
  • .10 Mil Adjustments
$599.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2012 at 21:32
For the way I use an AR I want illumination and low power. I use 308 and 300 WM with high magnification optics. For an AR I like these types of scopes fast lots of field of view able to acquire targets rapidly and ideal out to about 300 yds:
Trijicon 3-9x40 Accu-Point Rifle Scope Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot Trijicon 3-9x40 Accu-Point Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR202G
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot
  • 1"
$764.95 
Aimpoint CompM4s 30mm Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Dot Aimpoint CompM4s 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - AIM12172
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Night Vision Compatible
  • Picatinny Mount Included
  • Spacer Included
  • Killflash Included
  • Bikini cover Included
$789.00 
Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Dot Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - AIM11419
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
$406.00 
Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Red Triangle Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR24R
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
$844.95 
Trijicon 2x20 Compact Acog Rifle Scope Red Crosshair Trijicon 2x20 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA47R4
  • Red Crosshair
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
$945.95 
Leupold 1.5-5x20 VX-3 30mm Riflescope Leupold 1.5-5x20 VX-3 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU67830
$599.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/01/2012 at 21:42

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2012 at 21:37
If you must go somewhat traditional look at these with the CDS system :
Leupold 3-9x40 VX-R 30mm Riflescope Leupold 3-9x40 VX-R 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU112194
  • Matte
  • FireDot Duplex
  • 30mm
  • Custom Dial System
  • 1-Button Illumination
  • Vibration Sensor
  • Index Matched Lens Coatings
  • Lead-Free Edge-Blackened Lenses
  • Includes FREE Lens Pen & Alumina Threaded Lens Covers
$529.95 
Leupold 2-7x33 VX-2 Riflescope Leupold 2-7x33 VX-2 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU114402
$349.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2012 at 10:18

[/QUOTE]
did you kill any deer with your AR? Hod did it work? I assume its a 223?
[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's a .223/5.56.  Yes I did kill a couple deer with it.  Took it up to North Dakota last November.  For anything 150 yds and in, (especially coyotes) it did just fine.

It was a real tough year to hunt deer in No. Dak. - it was hard to find any deer to shoot at due to 3 consecutive hard winters and ample CRP land for the low number of deer to lay in.  Would actually have to get within feet of beded deer before they'd even get up.  Add to that fact that the rut hadn't started yet, and it made for lots of walking without seeing many deer.

I was shooting 60 grain Nosler partitions over 25 grains of H335 as well as 60 grain Hornady V-max's over 25.3 grains of H335.  The V-max's grouped better and were terminal on the coyotes and lethal on one doe.  It's all about shot placement.  The Noslers did ok, but didn't group as well, but also brought down a doe.

Lesson learned - this fall I'll be taking my new Savage 10PC .308 for more punch and longer reach, hopefully topped with a new SS variable model, or at least my SS 3-9.
dadex11 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadex11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 15:35
Thanks everybody for the comments, and I decided to go with this:

Now, what mount to get? 

Has to be QD.  I have the MBUS flip up in the back. 
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 15:58
I ordered one of those in, about ten years ago - it went back, but who knows you may have better luck and like yours more. Yep  $349.95 for a chinese contraption weighing 25.2 oz. VS   LEU114402 a 2-7  Leupold made in USA with custom dial system weighing 9.9 oz.Whatever   HMMM  if you had a typical scope you would  want to consider a La Rue or BOBRO or GG&G quick detachable mount, but you do not. Take the time to look at what you selected what you need is a riser only and none of it is quick detachable.

Weaver AR-15 Aluminum Base Weaver AR-15 Aluminum Base
Stock # - 48321
  • Single Rail Mount System
  • Flat Top Mount
$19.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/03/2012 at 16:03

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 16:04
Or if it must be QD ARMS and another company make some that are more expensive.
ARMS #19 Dovetail / Stanag Throw Lever Mount ARMS #19 Dovetail / Stanag Throw Lever Mount
Stock # - ARMS19
  • Universal Mount for M16A1/A2
$149.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
dadex11 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadex11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 16:19
I haven't purchased anything yet but that is the one I'm really interested in right now.  The camputer system really sparks my interest cuz you don't have to do any math to range.  I could take the other route and learn the mil dot system.  No Clue  Then get a different scope.  Trying to stay under $700 with mount.
Out of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most.
Ozzy
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 16:33
You do not understand what the CDS  Custom Dial System is do you?  you buy a laser rangefinder push the button it tells you the range. Your CDS knob has  1 2 3 4 5 6  etc the 1 is 100 yds 2 is 200 yds its like Kenton Knobs but low profile so the knob is hunting friendly and does not snag on stuff. The knob is custon engraved to correctly match your caliber and bullet selection so there is very little thought process to this system but it works very very well.
You could learn to mil dot range find and that is not a bad idea but everyone I know uses a laser rangefinder push the button your done.  If you hunt from a blind or stand you rangefind before hand and place known distance markers each hundred yards.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
dadex11 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadex11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 16:51
Sorry, I didn't know the CDS system. I'll have to do some more looking now.
Ozzy
dadex11 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadex11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 19:17
[/Quote]
Leupold 2-7x33 VX-2 Riflescope Leupold 2-7x33 VX-2 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU114402
$349.95
[/QUOTE]

Why can't I find this scope on Leupold's website?
Ozzy
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 21:21
Not sure I guess you could call them and ask.
There is more info here:

Also at the Leupold Custom Shop you can build stuff that is one of a kind to your needs changing reticles and knobs ect .

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 22:54
I would go with the Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 w/ballistic Fire Dot (479.95) you had listed in your original post over the VX2 2-7x33. The VX-R has better glass.
dadex11 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadex11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2012 at 12:15

OK everybody.  I did more looking around and think I have it narrowed down to theses two:

http://swfa.com/Leupold-2-7x33-VX-R-30mm-Riflescope-P48035.aspx

or

What is your opinion/choice?

Ozzy
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2012 at 18:09
Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 would be my first choice. 
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2012 at 18:32
Of those two I would perfer this one, (lighter more compact and has illumination):

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
dezmick View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dezmick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2012 at 18:37
I agree, it is a better scope then the Vortex, i had one of the HS just like you are looking at and did not like the cross hairs at all, plus you get illumination with the VX-R.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic